New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Keeping polariser clean

timun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keeping polariser clean

I've just been thoroughly inspecting my gear before a family event tomorrow. Lenses: front elements in need of a quick dusting. Viewfinder: a bit dirty. Circular polariser: front surface in need of serious de-greasing.
When I'm installing or removing the polariser, I'm careful not to touch the element. The fingerprints appear when I reach inside a lens hood to adjust it - I often miss the bezel and put a fingerprint on the edge of the glass.

Can anyone offer some tips - other than removing the lens hood every time, or developing smaller fingers - for keeping a polariser clean?

Tim

Aug 06, 2016 at 03:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keeping polariser clean

welcome to the world of less then adequate ergonomics and contradictions.

i, in general don't use a hood at all whe shooting with a CPL. it is not a hard and fast rule that you need to all the time. when i do use a tripod i will pull out a 12" reflector of this type if needed and position it with my hand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42077-REG/Photoflex_DL_1412BS_LiteDisc_Circular_Reflector_Black_Silver.html

your other option is to find a general screw on type hood that fits the front threads of your CPL and that also is wide enough to not cause any vignetting while doing your thing. this will then rotate the front element of the CPL.

Aug 06, 2016 at 04:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keeping polariser clean

Some lens hoods have a slot for rotating the polarizer or you can cut your own.

EBH

Aug 06, 2016 at 04:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keeping polariser clean

forgot that option but then its got to fit and be usable on all your lenses. I advise the bottom of the hood and get a polarizer that has some traction for finger contact

Aug 06, 2016 at 04:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keeping polariser clean

My Canon 100-400L IS II has a door on the bottom of the hood for rotating a CP filter, but I don't like using it. In fact, I prefer using a generic hood that's pretty much like the hood on the Mk I version of this lens.

In general, I take off the hood to adjust the CP. Sometimes, I put the hood back on before taking the shot; sometimes, I shade the lens with my hand; and sometimes, I just shoot away without the hood.

Aug 06, 2016 at 04:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keeping polariser clean

Why do you use the generic 100-400 II hood? Is there some advantage?

EBH

Aug 06, 2016 at 05:24 PM
timun

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keeping polariser clean

Thank you for the ideas. I do tend to keep the lens hoods on all the time, perhaps more than necessary - though if conditions are bright and clear enough for a polariser, I believe using a hood is likely to improve contrast.
I like the suggestion of trying a hood with a slot at the bottom - I'll order a second hood for my 70-200 and experiment with it.

Tim

Aug 07, 2016 at 01:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keeping polariser clean

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/polarizing-filters.htm

Aug 07, 2016 at 06:56 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keeping polariser clean

In the end, Eclipse solution and Residual Oil Remover with some pec pads are the only things that work. I just can't keep my grubby fingers away. The new 100-400 hood is pretty slick.

Edited on Aug 08, 2016 at 07:40 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keeping polariser clean

the newer multicoated filters are pretty resistant to greasing up and clean real easy too.

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keeping polariser clean

I don't have much trouble cleaning modern polarizers either.
Years ago the Hoyas for example were very difficult to clean.

EBH

Aug 07, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keeping polariser clean

I use the Zeiss wipes found at Walmart for about $3 per 100. I always use a lens hood and often use a polarizer for daytime shots. I put the filter on the lens, align it, and put the hood on before taking the shot. Just change your work flow a little.

Kent in SD

Aug 07, 2016 at 04:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keeping polariser clean

EB-1 wrote:
Why do you use the generic 100-400 II hood? Is there some advantage?

EBH

The "door" the OEM Mk II hood is awkward for adjusting a CP filter and makes it a pain to stuff it into a tight-fitting lens bag. I don't use the door (I take the hood off to adjust the CP), and so I use a generic hood for the Mk I lens. It's virtually identical to the OEM Mk I hood.

Aug 08, 2016 at 06:34 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Keeping polariser clean

Two23 wrote:
I use the Zeiss wipes found at Walmart for about $3 per 100. I always use a lens hood and often use a polarizer for daytime shots. I put the filter on the lens, align it, and put the hood on before taking the shot. Just change your work flow a little.

Kent in SD

_______
+1

Aug 08, 2016 at 09:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.