New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Gradient Masking ???

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gradient Masking ???

While I'm not an LR user, I seem to recall LR has the ability to place multiple / intersecting gradients. Is there a way to do this similarly in PS? Currently, I can only seem to use the gradient tool once per layer mask.

As an example, you might want to have two smaller gradient circles on a layer for the faces of two people. Or two intersecting layers for an oblique color correction to follow the light falloff in a scene.

Seems like there should be a way to do it in PS if it can be done in LR.

TIA

Aug 06, 2016 at 08:15 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gradient Masking ???

Even on CS6, I dont see the limitation you're talking about. I can add as many gradients as I want on a masking layer although I'd probably just use a softedge brush w/ appropriate opacity and flow to do the sorts of things you're talking about (depending on image etc etc).

Same thing is possible in ACR's gradient tool (which is what LR basically uses anyway).

Aug 06, 2016 at 08:52 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gradient Masking ???

Multiple masking in PS - use layer groups. Mask the initial layer, put that layer in a group, mask the group, put that group in a group, mask the second group... and so on and so on.

Aug 06, 2016 at 11:10 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gradient Masking ???

Set your gradient to black to transparent and make as many as you want.

Aug 06, 2016 at 11:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gradient Masking ???

Ho1972 wrote:
Set your gradient to black to transparent and make as many as you want.

That's the ticket, thanks.

Aug 06, 2016 at 08:12 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gradient Masking ???

RustyBug wrote:
That's the ticket, thanks.

I have an action I made that duplicates the layer, makes a layer mask (invisible so you are painting on pixels) and then change the options to ether screen to lighten or multiply to darken.

I just invoke the action as many times as necessary for any given file, works really well because you can use the gradient fill tool on the mask for subtle shading (of skies for example) and the opacity to control things precisely

Aug 07, 2016 at 04:38 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.