New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · D500 raw processing

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 raw processing

My new toy came today. Vow! it is so fast.
Now I can just review the jpg files.
For the ones of you who have experience with this camera, What would be a better choice: Nikon NX-I and D or Photoshop on the clouds. I have had CS6 for few years. I understand they don update Raw processing any longer.
So either way, it will cost $, I bet I will have to bite it.

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:39 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 raw processing

Photoshop CC + Colorchecker Passport will give you the best combination of color profiles and processing speed IMHO. $10 USD/mo is a bargain for Photoshop CC & Lightroom in my opinion. I don't like Lightroom but you get both regardless of your preference when you subscribe.

The odd person seems to like DXO or Capture One, and all of these software have free trials, so I would encourage you to take advantage of those before making a final decision.

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:47 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 raw processing

CanadaMark wrote:
Photoshop CC + Colorchecker Passport will give you the best combination of color profiles and processing speed IMHO. $10 USD/mo is a bargain for Photoshop CC & Lightroom in my opinion. I don't like Lightroom but you get both regardless of your preference when you subscribe.

The odd person seems to like DXO or Capture One, and all of these software have free trials, so I would encourage you to take advantage of those before making a final decision.

10$/month seems reasonable. Is that for one or more computers. I want to get it in 2 or even 3 computers.

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:57 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 raw processing

nugeny wrote:
10$/month seems reasonable. Is that for one or more computers. I want to get it in 2 or even 3 computers.

You can use it on two computers. If you try install it on a third, you will have to deactivate one of the other licenses. You can just keep activating/deactivating but it's a pain.

Aug 05, 2016 at 08:24 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 raw processing

Just install MetaRAW and continue to use CS6-

http://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/

Aug 05, 2016 at 09:25 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 raw processing

Charles Loy wrote:
Just install MetaRAW and continue to use CS6-

http://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/

interesting/, You mean we can bypass CC?

Aug 05, 2016 at 10:27 PM
sport
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 raw processing

nugeny wrote:
My new toy came today. Vow! it is so fast.
Now I can just review the jpg files.
For the ones of you who have experience with this camera, What would be a better choice: Nikon NX-I and D or Photoshop on the clouds. I have had CS6 for few years. I understand they don update Raw processing any longer.
So either way, it will cost $, I bet I will have to bite it.

try the metaraw plugin, it works with CS6

Aug 06, 2016 at 01:53 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 raw processing

CanadaMark wrote:

I'm one of those odd people using DxO. I used to use ACR/PS for the whole workflow, but it seemed like something was missing with D500 NEFs. I have the whole Adobe CC Suite as I use other parts for work, but never got friendly with Lightroom. I've got a book on it and will delve into it for cataloging, as I use Bridge for that now. A plus for using PS is the various plugins that are available. Topaz DeNoise works really well for D500 grain, which I find to be more pleasing than the noise on my D750.

I tried DxO and it works really well for me. The RAW converter behaves much differently than ACR, but it's a personal preference. I can do a few quick adjustments (Clear View and Smart Lighting) and most files look great. The PRIME NR is fantastic for low light/high ISO, but takes a few seconds to export on my late '13 MBP. I just set up a batch and pour a glass of wine to celebrate being finished. I love it for concert photography and sports. It's crisp and sharp.

I bought the Film Pack but don't think I'd necessarily recommend that. I used to love Alienskin Exposure in PS and it's nothing like that. However, View Point is really potent for corrections and anything I shoot wide with my 14-24 gets a run through.

If something needs further work, I export a TIFF and work on it in PS.

I'm also running a trial of Capture 1. I downloaded it to see how it works with tethering, but haven't gotten to it. It seems to have a smoother converter and a little warmer interpretation. I may sign up for 3 or 12 months as I think it might be better for portraits and have some weddings coming up.

I have NX-D, but it just doesn't mesh with me and the others do.

I strongly recommend downloading the trials and seeing what appeals to you and the type of work that you do. If I only had one, it'd be a hard choice between DxO for it's more aesthetically pleasing RAW converter and NR, but PS has incredible capability for retouching, and doing "crazy stuff". It has so much control, but unless you really know what you're doing with it, it's overkill. I've been a PS user since v2.0 and ya gotta love layers.

Aug 06, 2016 at 02:25 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 raw processing

I use the Nikon NXD software to do the conversion to TIFF but I loathe it, I find it so unintuitive that I struggle. Nikon Capture was pretty good IMO. Oddly enough I struggle with most of these software packages, they seem to be designed by people who are too clever to live on the same planet as me. And I speak as someone with a PhD in physics. I tried DxO today, and it is very easy to use, very well laid out, seems to produce the same results as NXD.

I always use Photoshop CS2 for the processing of the .TIFF file as I have macros defined, and I just like the power and ease of use. There is no way I am paying $10 a month for the latest version.

Aug 06, 2016 at 06:39 AM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 raw processing

I'm finding Capture One 9 to be very good. I export a TIF to CS6 if necessary. C1 has a bug of a learning curve but there's plenty of videos to get you up to speed.

Aug 06, 2016 at 06:54 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 raw processing

nugeny wrote:
interesting/, You mean we can bypass CC?

Yes, once installed, simply open your files into CS6, same as you presently do with other raw files.
Metaraw is the best money I have ever spent, free and quick updates!

Aug 06, 2016 at 08:47 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 raw processing

Join the cloud. I fought it as long as I could but now i'm glad I did it.

Aug 06, 2016 at 02:29 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500 raw processing

You can use CS6 with your camera. Download Adobe DNG converter which will produce an intermediate file that you then process as if a RAW file. This requires an intermediate step so enjoy a cup of coffee during this step.

Window download:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Mac download:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Macintosh&product=106

Morris

Aug 06, 2016 at 02:35 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500 raw processing

morris wrote:
You can use CS6 with your camera. Download Adobe DNG converter which will produce an intermediate file that you then process as if a RAW file. This requires an intermediate step so enjoy a cup of coffee during this step.

Window download:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Mac download:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Macintosh&product=106

Morris

Hey Morris, This is a great idea. I down loaded and installed. It works fine. ,Thanks for the good idea.
Bob

Aug 06, 2016 at 04:55 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500 raw processing

Free, Free, FREE! Download the Adobe DNG converter for free. Then DNG (RAW) files will work in old PS or LR versions.

Aug 11, 2016 at 01:59 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D500 raw processing

CanadaMark wrote:
You can use it on two computers. If you try install it on a third, you will have to deactivate one of the other licenses. You can just keep activating/deactivating but it's a pain.

Well, it is a maybe minor pain, but really all that happens is that you have to clear one dialog box and log back into Creative Cloud. Adobe's implementation is really flexible in that you don't have to "unregister" specific systems, as you had to do with Creative Suite. You instead are given the option of logging out "everywhere", which resets your license count back to zero. You then become licensed on the next two machines you log into. I have CC installed on four machines and I can use the software on any two concurrently.

I'd love it if their license allowed for more, the way Microsoft's Office 365 Home subscription does (five concurrent machines, or shared with up to 4 other people), but Adobe's implementation is workable.

Aug 11, 2016 at 05:15 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D500 raw processing

After all these pain trying to open raw/nef files, one wonder why don't they (Nikon/Canon) why don't they all use DNG? Why would be the down side?

Aug 11, 2016 at 06:40 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D500 raw processing

I use Capture One Pro, now version 9.2. I think best for overall IQ and also for ease of use, IMO. I then save as 16bit TIFF and then do final tweaks in Photoshop CC using some plug-ins as well.

Aug 11, 2016 at 07:10 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D500 raw processing

nugeny wrote:
After all these pain trying to open raw/nef files, one wonder why don't they (Nikon/Canon) why don't they all use DNG? Why would be the down side?

Because that's just trading their own semi-proprietary formats (they're actually TIFF Variants) for Adobe's semi-proprietary format.

No camera maker is going to give Adobe more control over their files. Both Pentax and Leica still have all the usual camera support hassles with Adobe software despite supporting DNG natively.

Aug 11, 2016 at 07:47 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D500 raw processing

mawz wrote:
Because that's just trading their own semi-proprietary formats (they're actually TIFF Variants) for Adobe's semi-proprietary format.

No camera maker is going to give Adobe more control over their files. Both Pentax and Leica still have all the usual camera support hassles with Adobe software despite supporting DNG natively.

DNG is generic, isn't it? Does it cost Nikon any thing to use it?
D500 can shoot Tiff, Jpg. What is the difference>

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.