Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

On reflection, I feel I've finally reached a certain point where I can, about 50% of the time, produce poses that are adequate...based on rules.

It's the rules that do it for me. Rules like...

Separate chin line from neck to present the form of the face better;

Balance one side with the other in curves;

Don't let subjects look like they're off-balance;

Hands should look relaxed, practical, natural, or obscured, preferably not showing the tops or bottoms of hands;

Elbows can be straight or bent, but in either case they should not look compressed, tense (especially with 90-degree angles like a square) or unnatural;

Nose typically should not go past the far cheek or else it will look longer (more acceptable with short-nosed persons);

Most female faces look good with short, loop lighting;

If the eye feels something is off-balance, try to isolate the particular object that seems to cause it, and...change it;

Popping hips adds a good dynamic for women, but make sure it pops in the right direction (related to balance);

Turning female head opposite of body direction (especially at slight angles to camera) seems to be complementary most of the time;

Having the bride accentuate waistline and leg line from the lower end by putting one leg (usually the front leg if turned at an angle to camera) slightly in front, or by bending one leg and letting the knee of front leg go towards the center of her figure, seems to work well;

Female arms should generally not look fat, e.g. separation from torso - but not in an unnatural way - or under the man's arm/hand;

Frequently women don't like seeing their faces from below (told by a boudoir photographer);

Body contact suggests connection;

Facial expression and eyes are extremely important for context and connection;

Watch for distracting objects in the fore/background and avoid them when possible;

blah blah blah.

8 years later, I actually adhere and pay attention to many of these rules. What I lack....is creative use of them.

Another 8 years, perhaps.

Aug 05, 2016 at 03:27 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

It sounds to me that you have developed an instinctive approach when posing your subjects to achieve a high level of consistency. I say that as a compliment because sometimes, it is not necessary to reinvent the wheel. A flattering pose for a female subject is a flattering pose, it just works. Why fix when it ain't broken?

A lot of what you described matches what Roberto Valenzuela teaches in Picture Perfect Posing, and I am a big fan of that book.

Aug 05, 2016 at 04:28 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

A few things are from that book, I really have actually read and studied a bit for photography. I just have lost the creative use of combinations over time, at the same rate probably as I have cemented some general rules in my head.

Aug 05, 2016 at 04:51 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

I understand that you guys are doing this on a weekly basis so it feels that you are doing the same things again and again. I look at things from the clients' perspective. Even if you shoot at the same venue, the light, time and weather pattern would be different. If you somehow convince yourself that it is the same picture, your subjects are different. Remember that chances are, your bride is getting married for the first time so that picture will always be unique and different to her. What she thinks is what matters.

Aren't we accustomed to show what we sell? If you specialize in 200mm portraits with off camera lighting, don't go 20mm ultra wide with on camera direct flash from the ground so we see her stretched out triple chin... all for the sake of "being creative". We already know it will look horrible. If the bride likes your work and ends up booking you, chances are she wants what you have done for your previous clients. Just keep doing what you have been doing.

It takes a high level of skill and experience to achieve that kind of consistency, more power to you if you can do this instinctively.

Aug 05, 2016 at 05:42 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

yeah pretty much. you've clearly got the fundamentals down (which is great). at a certain point, you have to decide which rules you can break for the sake of composition, or whatever. adhering to certain ones might not add much depending on the context. it sounds like you restrict yourself too much which prevents you from being more "creative." The rules you might follow for a tight shot are going to be different than if you're shooting from 50 ft away.

I think i know what you're feeling though--I often find myself restricting photographing from certain angles because i think the background will be too distracting or whatever. I basically eliminate possibilities in the effort of trying to keep things clean, but sometimes it doesn't matter as much as we think it does and you just gotta go for it.

Just keep reminding yourself to try something new or different each time you go out. Just one image or one set up. Don't put the pressure on yourself to be "creative" for an entire wedding. Also I think being "creative" or "different" is a little overrated, depending on how you define that...

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

This....^^^^^^^

Aug 05, 2016 at 08:05 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

I do the same as far as poses but have some differs rules.
But I do take the body type into account....
It is still a learning process though.

- Mark

Aug 05, 2016 at 08:07 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does it all come down to creative execution of rules...

If you look at the real geniuses of photography, they learn the rules then break all of them.
It's how they break them that differentiates them from the tryhards to the masters of the game.

Apr 10, 2018 at 06:57 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.