Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

nathanlake
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

I am in discussions with a Vietnamese tour operator to design a photo tour of Vietnam for February of 2017, and would like to know if there is any serious interest among the FM community. The plan would be to arrive in-country just before the Vietnamese New Year and Tet Holiday (Jan 27- Feb 1). If you have never been in Vietnam during this time....WOW. We would spend 2-4 days around Hanoi and then move into the more rural areas of the northern part of the country. The actual itinerary is not even close to being set.

The other fun thing about being in Hanoi around this time is that you have the dichotomy of the busiest days and the least busy days on the streets of Hanoi. Before and after Tet, the traffic is even worse than it normal horrible self. However, on the day of Tet (January 29th) the typically CRAZY traffic in Hanoi will be absent. The streets will be empty. This is a once/year chance to photography without fighting traffic..

Duration: 10-14 days
Accommodations: moderate/standard
Estimated cost (not including airfare): $2000
Number of people: 10

The direction I have given the tour company was that all travelers would be serious photographers (amateur or professional). I want the trip designed and accompanied by a local photographer (not a GWAC). The primary emphasis would be culture and people, with a secondary focus on nature and landscapes. Slow pace, with most of our time shooting occurring in the early morning and late afternoon (duh). Plenty of "downtime" for individual shooting and exploration.

If you have any interest, comments, suggestions, feel free to post them. We would need to have this thing booked by October. Travel and accommodations in Vietnam around Tet can be challenging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E1%BA%BFt

Aug 05, 2016 at 12:09 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

I have an initial quote from the tour company. I think the itinerary, which covers the entire country is too fast paced for photographers. Also, they did not address my desire to have the trip designed by and for photographers. There will be negotiations. I would like your input. Click on the link to see the itinerary.

CLICK HERE FOR ITINERARY

Aug 06, 2016 at 07:36 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

I have found with Asian operators, you have to be very clear on the purpose and requirements of the trip. They assume that a photography trip is for a bunch of rich guys with camera's that want a standard tour. Tell them that the trip is only for photography, and that you will need much more time at each destination, preferably outside of normal tourist times.

Andrew

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:04 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

nathanlake wrote:
I am in discussions with a Vietnamese tour operator to design a photo tour of Vietnam for February of 2017, and would like to know if there is any serious interest among the FM community. The plan would be to arrive in-country just before the Vietnamese New Year and Tet Holiday (Jan 27- Feb 1). If you have never been in Vietnam during this time....WOW. We would spend 2-4 days around Hanoi and then move into the more rural areas of the northern part of the country. The actual itinerary is not even close to being set.

The other fun thing
...Show more

I suggest you contact Gavriel Jecan about arranging a tour geared to photographers. I've traveled with Gavriel several times and can thoroughly recommend him. He has led several photo tours to Vietnam and Cambodia, including one in September. He will also lead a private tour for you. I suspect $2,000 for 10 days is much too low. I normally budget about $500/day for such a trip, but that's just me.

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:19 PM
subgenius
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

nathanlake wrote:

Yes I have been
...Show more

Aug 10, 2016 at 03:21 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

I am meeting with Gavriel and Art Wolf on Tuesday to discuss. I will let you all know what comes of it.

Nathan

Aug 11, 2016 at 09:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

Nathan, sounds really interesting. I just got back from Vietnam in June and would definitely be interested in a photo trip back in February.

I'm more interested in a tour...no workshops. I think if we can get 10 like minded photographers together, we can feed off each others expertise and experiences. I don't really need to pay an Art Wolf to take me around Northern Vietnam...much rather have a local guide that knows the place inside out, knows the language and customs and can get us into remote villages.

Keep us informed as things shake out.

Harry

Aug 12, 2016 at 02:04 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

Very good. Give them my regards...

nathanlake wrote:
I am meeting with Gavriel and Art Wolf on Tuesday to discuss. I will let you all know what comes of it.

Nathan

Aug 12, 2016 at 07:44 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

I met with Gavriel Jecan (International Photo Tours).

He suggested I plan a trip for May rather than February. He is going to provide me with an itinerary in about 3 weeks. If anyone is interested, give this thread bump and I will contact you when I have more details.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vietnam Trip - Any interest?

When we have traveled in Vietnam and Cambodia our costs have been $100 a day for lodging, food, and a car with a driver. And that is for a clean room with hot water, air conditioning, HBO, and two complimentary breakfasts for my wife and myself.

If you stay at a chain hotel you will pay 20 times as much and I really don't need a 4 star European hotel when traveling anywhere. The larger the group though the more limited your choices for lodging and eating will be.

There is a lot that takes place in the public markets and also along the rivers. I have hired a boat and driver so I control where we go and how fast and when to stop for a photograph. There are boat tours that take you from one city to the next and you stay on sleep and eat on the boat.

Aug 19, 2016 at 06:03 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.