New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Another Maine Shot...

davidthejr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Maine Shot...

Hello!

Back again with another shot I'm working on from my recent trip to Maine. Would love to hear what you all have to input! I'm not quite sure how I feel about all the cloning that I had to do (rather then just cropping), but I figured I would give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

Here is the original shot

...And here is my edit

Edited on Aug 04, 2016 at 09:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2016 at 07:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Maine Shot...

Where is this?

First, it's a bit easier to do at least an initial view with a smaller image so that it doesn't have to be scrolled. Think 800 pixels high, maybe 1000 max. Width up to 1000-1200.

These are challenging comps. The sky is empty, flat, as is not unusual. It sets the mood but occupies large real estate with little to find. Below the central dominant feature is the rocks jutting across the image into the water. As a side image the houses and people can be discovered but do not offer much relation to the rest of the image. I suspect you had few options to shoot this location, but probably many more up and down the coast. As is, I think you need something more once the eye hits the finger of rock
A more pano crop would make the rocks jutting to the water a stronger message and reduce the emptiness above.

As for processing, you might consider a monotone, working textures, patterns. I prefer the colors in the first. In the second I think you went too far with the contrast. Consider pulling up some shadows and preserving some sky color.

Scott

Aug 04, 2016 at 08:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Maine Shot...

+1 @ much of Scott.

I think this one is going to be a challenge even to make some decent lemonade with.

Aug 04, 2016 at 09:59 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Maine Shot...

Scott has made some good comments already. The main problem with your composition is the empty sky. Clearly with that sky lighting was dull and cold which means low contrast.
It really depends on the message you want to send, on the mood you want to re-create when you shot this image. The way a see it is to emphasize the "grey" mood of the image. May be emphasize the fog.
I can give you some idea, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Aug 04, 2016 at 10:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another Maine Shot...

+1 @ go with the low contrast vs. against it.

Imo, it's a big hill you've got to climb on this one ... your choice to go uphill against it, or downhill with it.

Aug 05, 2016 at 09:15 AM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another Maine Shot...

Thanks for all the input! I'll see what I can do with the low contrast editing, and a more cinematic crop maybe.

@sbeme: This is in Portland Maine, it was taken at the Portland Head Light location, (https://goo.gl/maps/kLiV4rmZmXQ2) It just caught my eye so I grabbed a quick snap.

Aug 07, 2016 at 02:09 PM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another Maine Shot...

Here's an attempt at a low(er?) contrast monochrome edit. Any improvement? It may just be a lost cause, in which case I'll probably hang on to it with the edits I have.

B&W Edit

Aug 07, 2016 at 02:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another Maine Shot...

Much improved IMO, working as sn effective documentary image.
David, do you live near Portland?
Two Lights? Headlight?

Scott

Aug 07, 2016 at 06:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another Maine Shot...

Much improved IMO, working as sn effective documentary image.
Two Lights? Headlight?

Scott

Aug 07, 2016 at 06:07 PM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another Maine Shot...

sbeme wrote:
Two Lights? Headlight?

Scott

No sir!! I actually live just about as far away from there possible... I'm all the way down in Atmore Alabama. I was up there about 5 weeks ago for my honeymoon. That doesn't help going through these photos either, it's hard to take my feelings out of play for editing.

Aug 07, 2016 at 07:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another Maine Shot...

Definitely liking the mono rework best out of the bunch!

If these photos will mean a lot to you down the line then by all means jump through the hoops that it'll take to get them in a better spot.

Cheers (and congrats!),

Jeff

Aug 08, 2016 at 01:03 PM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another Maine Shot...

@beavens, thanks for the comment!

Aug 10, 2016 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.