New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

I cross posted this in the alt. Gear forum as well but as I'm using on a Canon thought I might get a quicker answer here.

I've had the lens for a few days now and notice that the OS doesn't appear to work. Called Sigma and got this story about how the OS operating doesn't show up in the viewfinder. I'm using it a 1DX II and see no difference through the viewfinder whether it's turned on or off. Now I've used the Canon IS and it is obvious in the viewfinder when it is operating. Am I getting BS from Sigma?

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:14 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

Have you tested whether you get sharp shots at a lower SS with the OS on? That could confirm if it is actually working.

One of the reasons I sold my Sigma 150-600 was that I didn't like how it didn't seem to stabilize the image through the VF. It always still showed movement. Like you, I was also used to Canon IS that basically creates a very stable VF image.

If you have the Sigma dock it does have 3 different settings for the OS but when I had the dock even the setting that is said to provide a very stable VF image didn't work like Canon lenses do.

I posted about this in the past and others claim their image appears stable but I'm not convinced and likely different people have different tolerances for what appears to be stable. With my lens actually testing the OS I found it was working and I was able to lower the SS about 4 stops with it on.

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:20 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

I did try slower SS and pictures appeared a bit out of focus but was that the OS or my shaking too much?

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:25 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

When I was doing AFMA and left the IS ON, i realized the that the IS was working

Please try this:

Set camera and lens on a tripod
Set IS ON
Set to 600mm
Half press the shutter and let go
Let the IS settle
Focus on a far away object
Half press the shutter continuously for a few seconds
If the image wanders a little and settles, then IS is working.
If the image stays steady then you've got a problem

Good luck

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:34 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

riokid wrote:
When I was doing AFMA and left the IS ON, i realized the that the IS was working

Please try this:

Set camera and lens on a tripod
Set IS ON
Set to 600mm
Half press the shutter and let go
Let the IS settle
Focus on a far away object
Half press the shutter continuously for a few seconds
If the image wanders a little and settles, then IS is working.
If the image stays steady then you've got a problem

Good luck

Alright I did what you said and I do see it jump when I half press the shutter but handholding the spot focus is still all over the place. Using my 300mm Canon with a 2X TC the spot focus barely moves.

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

I saw the same difference in vewfinder response when I had the Siggy 150-600 C compared to the IS in the Canon 100-400 II.

My understanding is that you need the dock to get the best performance of os from the sigma. Without it, the viewfinder visualization we are accustomed to seeing in the Canon isn't at its best. I didn't get the dock, so I'm not sure how much improved it becomes.

In the end, I went a diff route, selling the siggy, instead keeping 100-400 ii + tc as my approach (mostly for the MFD and size /weight diff). Had I chosen to keep the Siggy, I would have gotten (or at least rented / tried) the dock. There are days I wish I had kept the Siggy, but I didn't want to carry both a 100-400 and a 150-600, so I had to decide which one fit my shooting more of the time.

Aug 04, 2016 at 03:23 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

Ive only tried the 150-500 C in a store and I can't remember if the OS was visible in the VF or not but the one I tried was working at the image taking stage . I have a 120-300 OS (non S) and that OS is visible in the VF .

but I'm wondering if sigma are going more for the newer canon mode 3 experience where the IS is active but not stabilising until the shutter clicks . When I first saw details of this canon mode on the super teles (now its on the 100-400 mk2) I didn't understand why you'd use it . but looking at it further if you are taking erratic moving subjects then the IS will be fighting you all the time .

like i say maybe its a route that sigma are going with their OS . maybe its something that can be selected/tailored from their dock / software .

Aug 05, 2016 at 02:13 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

The lens is fairly heavy and weighted toward the front end when extended. If you are holding the lens and have it extended, you will still see lots of movement even with the IS on because your hand just can't hold the lens that steady.

Like the others have said, the IS on the Sigma is not as noticable as it is on the Canon models, like my 70-200.

If you do have it extended on a tripod, you can tell when the IS kicks on though because while the images still wander, the motion appears fluid.

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:29 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

Does it behave the same on a different body?

Aug 05, 2016 at 08:29 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Having a stabilization issue with Sigma 150-600mm

After more work it does appear to be working but as others have said it is quite different from what I am used to with Canon lenses. With the bigger Canon 600mm and 800mm lenses the added size and weight have helped quiet down the small movements. With this much smaller and lighter lens it's much harder to control small movement even with stabilization. I suspect the problem here is operator error. Thanks for all the help.

Yes, David it is the same on both my cameras.

Aug 05, 2016 at 09:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.