New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

I saw an ad for the new iPad Pro where it has a removable keyboard that snaps to the iPad when not in use and the new pencil for the pro. My laptop died last month and the ad got me to thinking about getting the iPad Pro large one in stead of a laptop. Has anyone got any experience with the iPad Pro and pencil for editing images using adobe software. I'll get a desktop running OS X instead of a laptop as the only two things the the laptop got used for was photography and fltsim. Everything else I've been using the iPad for. Now if I canedit images on the iPad Pro with the pencil instead of a laptop and Wacom tablet it would be great and I'll sell my Wacom tablet and setup the cintiq on the desktop.

Aug 03, 2016 at 09:47 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

specifically, can Ipad run photoshop?

Aug 04, 2016 at 10:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

An iPad pro should not be confused with s full functionality computer. it will not run the same software that I'd used on full functioning computers

I'm the end it's still just an iPad

Aug 04, 2016 at 10:32 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

USB ports? if it does, I think it will be ok.

Aug 04, 2016 at 10:53 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

My MBPro went belly up after a bunch of years. Got a 1st gen iPad Pro w/ the Logitech keyboard. Adobe's CC just issued download for PS and LR. I haven't used them yet so I can't speak for their utility. Generally, the iPadPro does all I need for it to do.

Aug 04, 2016 at 10:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

IOS is not OSX. do not confuse the two. there are IOS apps from adobe that are very stripped down programs based on the PS products.

Aug 04, 2016 at 11:39 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Yup, no grey area here. The iPad Pro cannot replace a laptop unless you didn't actually use a lot of the functionality of the laptop.

Also, the keyboard is sorely lacking since you can't adjust the angle.

The iPad Pro runs mobile versions of Adobe software, not the full desktop versions. As sjms said, they're very stripped down.

My Surface Pro is a "tablet" that replaces a laptop because it's a full blown computer. The iPad is not.

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:39 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Surface pro..lol my kids got version 2 and 3 from school. Terrible... jack of all trades master of none. sometimes the touch decide to work and sometimes the keyboard, it's a game to guess which one.

A ipad pro will of course not replace a laptop, it can however do a lot of tasks albeit differently.

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

i use one (surface 2) and it works very well in a whole lot of situations. i use both touch and keyboard interchangeably. in fact my other laptop has the 10 point touch too and i prefer the ability to go back and forth seamlessly.

how you see usability and others can be different. its outstanding tethered.

Aug 04, 2016 at 04:35 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

sjms wrote:
i use one (surface 2) and it works very well in a whole lot of situations. i use both touch and keyboard interchangeably. in fact my other laptop has the 10 point touch too and i prefer the ability to go back and forth seamlessly.

how you see usability and others can be different. its outstanding tethered.

My experience is different.

Three of my kids got them and they crap out all the time, switching between tablet and laptop mode is all but smooth and without issues. Scrolling can be a pita with touch and when they try to go back to keyboard it throws a fit.

As for tethering.. I would never trust a surface 2 or 3 given it's track record from my experience. I shoot 99% tethered and that is always to a laptop.

When i want my clients/AD to review and rate images live on a shoot i use capture pilot which runs on my ipad, or any device that can open a web browser.

Aug 04, 2016 at 05:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Well, you know how it is. Some can make things work

Aug 04, 2016 at 05:24 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

sjms wrote:
Well, you know how it is. Some can make things work

Yea we all have different standard and requirements.

Edited on Aug 04, 2016 at 06:00 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2016 at 05:43 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Remember I would still have a desktop just not a laptop. If you can do the organization in the LR app and basic touch ups I would be happy as all the final stuff will be done on the desktop

Aug 04, 2016 at 05:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Fotografpaul wrote:
Yea we all have different standard and requirements.

have you figured what assy means?

don't think that my standards/requirements are any less demanding then yours. methodology possibly though. i do try to keep it simple.

Edited on Aug 04, 2016 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2016 at 06:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Replacing laptop with iPad pro

Michael White wrote:
Remember I would still have a desktop just not a laptop. If you can do the organization in the LR app and basic touch ups I would be happy as all the final stuff will be done on the desktop

if you feel it will serve your needs. at the size that it is i'm willing to bypass and get the real thing.

Aug 04, 2016 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.