New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

I have a friend who's looking for a small, basic camera that can be used on a trip to Africa. Electric outlets aren't available during the trip. She's planning to buy this solar charger for her phone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QINV6I?ref_=sr_1_3&s=wireless&qid=1470255329&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=Solar%20Phone%20Charger%20Android&psc=1&pldnSite=1

It looks like the unit can be used to charge anything with USB cable input. I'm not familiar with this type of camera, and searches aren't coming up with much useful info. Can someone make a suggestion as to an appropriate camera? She wants to keep price to around $200.

Thanks!

Aug 03, 2016 at 04:12 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

Looks a bit limited to me.

If it takes a few hours to charge its internal battery from mains power, how long will it take from solar?

Aug 03, 2016 at 05:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

The Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-4 charges from USB. It's underwater rated to 50 feet and shoots RAW as well.

Frankly I'd ask the user to buy a bunch of cheap batteries for whatever camera they have and charge them before the trip.

EBH

Aug 03, 2016 at 05:43 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

How basic is she looking for? if she's not a shooter/just wants "happy snaps", she could just get phone with a reasonable camera that's somewhat water proof and be done with it.

Honestly, images from a lot of the newer phones are "good enough" for most people/they aren't going to get appreciably better images with a better camera unless they know how to use it well enough to use the bells and whistles when they need to.
(well, obviously the zoom would be a big plus if they're shooting critters, etc, but...)

And if they're enough of an enthusiast to already have a camera already, EB-1's suggestions make a lot of sense - unless you're doing crazy stuff like shooting video for hours at a time lots of in-camera- flash use, shooting tethered, etc most modern cameras now have amazing run times per battery.

Another option would be to just buy a USB charger for their extant camera - just for grins I looked for them on amazon - I was surprised how many there are:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+battery+charger+canon&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+battery+charger+canon

Good luck and I hope your pal has a great trip.

Best,
rkg
(Richard George)

Aug 04, 2016 at 12:08 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

Thanks for all the replies. She doesn't have another camera at present, but decided to go with an AA-powered Nikon. Given the situation, I think that's a good decision.

Aug 04, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Merlin_AZ
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

I have both the Olympus TG-4 and Sony a6300.
Both are great for different reasons.
It would depend on how serious they are.

Aug 04, 2016 at 12:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. She doesn't have another camera at present, but decided to go with an AA-powered Nikon. Given the situation, I think that's a good decision.

AAs are rather large and heavy for the capacity compared to Li-ion. Is she using the Eneloops?

EBH

Aug 04, 2016 at 09:34 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

No, she's going to use non-rechargeable AA. I imagine that she'll take along a supply, but she wants to have access to normal AA that are available locally in case they're needed.

Aug 04, 2016 at 09:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small travel camera that can be charged by USB cable

I forgot about primary cells.

EBH

Aug 04, 2016 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.