My P/D date is 07/17
My SN is 18107xx

Dec 23, 2017 at 07:10 PM
Chainring

Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #2 · p.36 #2 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

P/D date: 11-2017
SN: 181066x

How in the world did I end up with a lens that's manufactured months after yours, yet has a lower serial number? Different facilities, perhaps? That'd be strange though.

Dec 24, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #3 · p.36 #3 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Chainring wrote:
P/D date: 11-2017
SN: 181066x

How in the world did I end up with a lens that's manufactured months after yours, yet has a lower serial number? Different facilities, perhaps? That'd be strange though.

would you be so kind as to post your info above in this new thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1523423

^ new thread - dedicated to recall and firmware update for this lens

we can keep this thread here, Fred's, dedicated to review stuff.
I will reply there. very odd indeed.
cheers

Edited on Dec 26, 2017 at 09:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2017 at 02:45 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.36 #4 · p.36 #4 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

It's here! Going to go out in a bit and take some photos, took some quick snaps, it's strange having autofocus again. The A7II is much quicker than my old Rebel XT.

Dec 26, 2017 at 08:45 PM
umsl12
• •
p.36 #5 · p.36 #5 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Is it safe to buy a used copy of this lens now? If I get a used lens which has serial # in the recall range, would Sony service it? Anyone knows? Thanks

Dec 26, 2017 at 09:19 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.36 #6 · p.36 #6 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Took it out for a test run today, really pleased. Made my little sister model for me, the benefits of being on break : )

Impressions:
Incredibly sharp from wide open and just destroys backgrounds in a really flattering way, super sharp at f/8 across the field, contrast is great and I love the three-dimensional rendering.

austinschutz

ILCE-7M2    FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens    50mm    f/5.0    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

austinschutz

ILCE-7M2    FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens    50mm    f/1.4    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

austinschutz

ILCE-7M2    FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens    50mm    f/1.4    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

austinschutz

ILCE-7M2    FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens    50mm    f/1.4    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 27, 2017 at 12:37 AM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:32 AM
austinschutz
• •
p.36 #7 · p.36 #7 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

umsl12 wrote:
Is it safe to buy a used copy of this lens now? If I get a used lens which has serial # in the recall range, would Sony service it? Anyone knows? Thanks

FWIW I directly asked if it was in the affected range and they said yes, and that they would be willing to find the original receipt if Sony asked for it (purchased from lens rentals). That doesn't directly answer the question, but since it was from lens rentals they also said they hadn't received any complaints over the life of the lens. As long as it's a US model I don't see why they would refuse to service it, it was purchased, and that would damage their reputation.

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:36 AM
umsl12
• •
p.36 #8 · p.36 #8 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

austinschutz wrote:
FWIW I directly asked if it was in the affected range and they said yes, and that they would be willing to find the original receipt if Sony asked for it (purchased from lens rentals). That doesn't directly answer the question, but since it was from lens rentals they also said they hadn't received any complaints over the life of the lens. As long as it's a US model I don't see why they would refuse to service it, it was purchased, and that would damage their reputation.

Thanks

Dec 27, 2017 at 02:42 AM
fredmirandafan
• •
p.36 #9 · p.36 #9 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

I just found out from Fred in another 50mm ZA sub thread that the OOF rendering in high shutter speeds issue is still not resolved with A9 and A7R3 bodies in mechanical shutter mode. Has anyone here relayed this concern to Sony? I guess electronic shutter is a solution for A9 or it's probably not a good idea to stay in e-shutter mode on A7R3 due to the lower scan speed?

I think some here even suggested before there could be an "Auto EFCS mode" that turns itself off at high shutter speeds.

If enough people communicate this need to Sony, perhaps they will start considering incorporating this feature in future firmwares?

Dec 31, 2017 at 05:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.36 #10 · p.36 #10 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Funny, until not so long back no one gave a fig about OOF, so it's not surprising how recent this discussion is, the effect of EFCS on bokeh. Fred had a particularly convincing example from memory - as in you might encounter it yourself. It might be one case where a setup doesn't tell the whole story. Jim K may comment if around. He did some testing here:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/efcs-and-bokeh-a7rii-with-sony-902-8-macro/

Other thread of interest here, at DPR here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3814285?page=3

and Sony's take (a7rII):

"When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this function to [Off].
When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this function to [Off]. If you set this function to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven."

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1450/v1/en/contents/TP0000226634.html

Dec 31, 2017 at 06:51 AM
fredmirandafan
• •
p.36 #11 · p.36 #11 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

philip_pj wrote:
Funny, until not so long back no one gave a fig about OOF.

Thanks @philip_pj@ for the links. Very informative.

I mainly notice the effects only when shooting with 1.4 lenses and shutter speeds faster than 1/2000s. Although It's not difficult physically to turn off EFCS, from time to time I do forget to switch back and forth.

If there's a selectable shutter speed at which users could set the threshold, that'd be ideal especially in dynamic environments where lighting changes fast.

Dec 31, 2017 at 08:50 AM
Mirror
• •
p.36 #12 · p.36 #12 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Has anybody here more informations or a link concerning the effective focal length? Many users report it is actually only around 47-48mm. Also compared to my 50mm 1.8 Nikkor I can see the difference clearly.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM
Mirror
• •
p.36 #13 · p.36 #13 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Just recognized that the Planar is my most used glass and the 85mm GM I use just too seldom. Mainly because the 50mm is more universal and it just matches great with the 16-35GM. I often have not enough space to work with the 85mm... Contrast, Colors, Rendering, 3D Pop is also just stunning with the Zeiss. So I am planning to sell the 85mm GM therefore and go ahead fully with the Planar for portrait in future. Of course a 85mm delivers a different look and the subject gets compressed in a different way but I think it can be also done on a beautiful way with the 50mm... Anyway, did someone here also switch completely to the Planar for portrait work and is happy?

Jan 15, 2018 at 04:31 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.36 #14 · p.36 #14 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Mirror wrote:
Just recognized that the Planar is my most used glass and the 85mm GM I use just too seldom. Mainly because the 50mm is more universal and it just matches great with the 16-35GM. I often have not enough space to work with the 85mm... Contrast, Colors, Rendering, 3D Pop is also just stunning with the Zeiss. So I am planning to sell the 85mm GM therefore and go ahead fully with the Planar for portrait in future. Of course a 85mm delivers a different look and the subject gets compressed in a different way but I think it can
...Show more

Cannot speak to the use of the 50/1.4 particularly, but if 50 fits your style, then I don't see why you should keep the 85. For me, I like 85 or 135 for portrait as I want to be 5 or 6 or more feet away from my subject most of the time. If I am trying to get a head shot, to frame tightly with a 50 would require getting too close and positional distortion would set in (big nose, small ears for example) but obviously one could stand back and crop to avoid this if one does not need the resolution.

Jan 15, 2018 at 05:00 PM
chiron
• • •
p.36 #15 · p.36 #15 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

chiron wrote:
Mine is on the way to Sony/Precision Camera in Connecticut. Sent Sony an email asking for instructions about the recall. They gave me a number to call. Guy at the number (eventually, through the automated voice answering maze) knew what it was all about. He wanted the formal model designation of my lens, checked my serial number, asked me what I saw in terms of a problem, wanted to know exactly when it was purchased, sent me an email to print out and enclose with the lens, told me to enclose a copy of the purchase receipt, to send only
...Show more

Just to wind up my account (see quoted message above) of sending in my lens for repair:

I received the lens back just about twelve days after I sent it to Sony. I thought this was pretty good, since the period included both the Christmas and New Year's weekends. The return address on the box was Precision Camera, not Sony.

The lens was well-enough packaged, though not as well packaged as I had sent it to them. It was wrapped tightly in small-bubbles wrap that was secured with two rubber bands, and then placed in a cradle of larger bubbles-wrap. It could move and roll a a bit n this cradle, but it could not contact anything except bubble wrap. So, it could move, but it would always be bubble-wrap contacting bubble-wrap.

The repair ticket that came back with the camera indicated the following:

"Explanation of Repairs"
"Lens Operation"
"A Complete Repair and Return All Functions to Factory Specs"

"Complete Cleaning (Internal-External) and Optical System"

"Description of Parts Used"
"Lens Assembly"

The lens looks brand shiny new and the glass appears brand new, with a flawless sheen that new glass has. My assumption from what they wrote and what I can see is that they replaced at least some and possibly all of the glass in the lens using a pre-assembled lens assembly.

The lens as repaired appears to be quite sharp and centered, as was the lens I sent them. The repair appears to be very satisfactory.

There was no charge to me, but I did have to pay for shipping the lens to Sony, which of course they should have covered since this is a recall and not a warranty repair of a damaged or failed lens. Other than this minor point, the repair and the repair process were satisfactory to me.

Jan 15, 2018 at 05:14 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.36 #16 · p.36 #16 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Thanks for the repair report. I think I'm finally going to get around to sending mine in.

Jan 16, 2018 at 02:25 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.36 #17 · p.36 #17 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

@chiron

would you be so kind as to post your info above in this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1523423
which is dedicated to recall and firmware update for this lens

we can keep this thread dedicated to images and reviews.
it will REALLY help those effected by the recall dial in.

Jan 16, 2018 at 07:16 PM
chiron
• • •
p.36 #18 · p.36 #18 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Dj R wrote:
@chiron@

would you be so kind as to post your info above in this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1523423
which is dedicated to recall and firmware update for this lens

we can keep this thread dedicated to images and reviews.
it will REALLY help those effected by the recall dial in.

Done!

Jan 16, 2018 at 09:26 PM
1       2       3              35      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password