end

Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

serhan_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Per Sony site:
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-item.pl?mdl=SEL50F14Z&news_id=532

"To address this issue, subject to the terms and conditions in the Limited Warranty that accompanied the Affected Models, we will repair your Affected Model, free of charge, until October 31, 2019."

DTFagus wrote:
My lens is also within the affected serial numbers. I read on dpreview that you should shine a light through the rear elements and check for dust particles.

And when shining a light through the rear elements I can see really small particles on the 2n or third glass element. I checked other lenses (2470gm, 70200gm, 85gm) and they do not have these small particles.

On the other hand, I am super happy with my 50 1.4 and it didnt affect IQ as far as I can see. Is this issue something that gets worse over time?

Oct 23, 2017 at 03:22 AM
ecarlino
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

i'd give it a day or two before calling Sony USA - just wasted an hour educating the person (not her fault, she just had no idea there was an issue/recall on this lens)

hopefully 'word' gets to the call center in a week or two so they can be more helpful......

i tried getting the 'chat' guy to send me a photo of what an affected lens would look like - but he wasn't aware of the problem either.

i have a s/n in the range but can't tell what i'm supposed to be looking for - but i'm going to have them deal with it b/c it's my favorite lens (and the only one i'm keeping, having sold my a7r2 and all other lenses, again).

Edited on Oct 23, 2017 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:07 PM
Mirror
• •
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

What are you guys doing who own the Planar? Why sending in a perfect lens? I see absolutely no reason... What exactly will be done in service?

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:10 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

finally just wrapped up a call and received an email with instructions to send to their repair facility (at my expense) for them to 'clean and review' the lens and make any fixes.

honestly, i'm not sure i'm going to even send it in....i don't notice anything (i purchased it 7/30/16) and used it regularly and never noticed anything.

and i could not get an answer from the phone clerks (wasn't expecting to) whether this was something that could get worse or if i don't notice it now, then i won't have an issue.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Mirror
• •
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Called today the service in Germany and they where not informed really. I will not send it in for the moment...

Oct 23, 2017 at 04:05 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Iím dreading having to deal with Sony service. Last time I tried them, I sent in a 35/1.4 that was exceptionally bad, under warranty repair. It disappeared into a void at Precision for four months, and I had to reach out to a Sony executive on Linkedin, out of desperation, to get the matter resolved.

My lens seems fine, but if I donít send it in, I worry about whether the issue crops up in the future (past the recall period) or whether itíll kill the resale value of the lens. (Would you buy one that was recalled, once the recall period has expired, but that was never sent in? At least, without expecting a meaningful discount?)

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

The one issue I see is if itís fogging that means moisture so eventually it could get to A fungus issue. Also if your in air conditioning stepping out to high humidity it may take a longer time for it to clear.

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:01 PM
briantho
• • •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

I bought this lens yesterday and wanted to try it out even though the weather has been really bad lately. This was an unplanned ten minute photo shoot with my daughter, all hand held, some with fill flash, some with natural light. All are wide open.

Sorry for posting this many photos, I wanted to test different distances and backgrounds for reference. Perhaps someone finds the photos useful.

Iīm very happy with the lens, itīs a keeper.

Isabelle by briantho, on Flickr

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:17 PM
JDug
• •
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Did you end up sending in your lens? I did the same thing, spent an hour in the phone and now have a repair order which I need to send it. I notice no issues with photos at all but if I shine a light though the rear of the lens I see many tiny spots on one of the glass elements. So even though their is no issue with photos yet I have to assume it could get worse so may be worth the price to send it in now. Just curious what others are doing.

ecarlino wrote:
finally just wrapped up a call and received an email with instructions to send to their repair facility (at my expense) for them to 'clean and review' the lens and make any fixes.

honestly, i'm not sure i'm going to even send it in....i don't notice anything (i purchased it 7/30/16) and used it regularly and never noticed anything.

and i could not get an answer from the phone clerks (wasn't expecting to) whether this was something that could get worse or if i don't notice it now, then i won't have an issue.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:45 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Mine also has the spots, so I'm definitely going to send it in. Though I'll probably wait till after Christmas. I don't generally do a lot of shooting between January to March (being in Canada) so that'll probably be a good time...

I'll be very curious to hear how quick the turnaround times are for the servicing.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:59 AM
elimoss

p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

From Sony:
"Symptoms
Fogging, visible as small dots, may occur inside the lens.
Image quality may be affected due to a decrease in contrast or resolution."

Mine is just outside of the affected range so I hope their indications of range are correct, because I'd be out of luck if it gets spots

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:04 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Has anyone sent the lens in and already got it back?

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:10 AM
1       2       3              32      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password