FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       end

Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

GMPhotography
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Well in a lot of cases it won't matter if a upper corner maybe out because of blue sky in the frame. The bigger issue is getting WTF you paid for and having resale value too. But in shooting sometimes these corners really matter for client or personal needs. You can blow it off but some of us shoot for critical quality throughout the frame. You certainly have the right to buy a lens ignore any issue and be happy as a clam. I for one won't keep a bad lens. I went through 5 FE 35 1.4. Am I anal yes I sure as hell am but I can sell this lens to a member and let them know I'm selling them something good not some problem. That means more to me than maybe most folks. I actually give a shit. This is a 1500 dollar lens that's worth the effort to get a good copy at least for me. I have 6 perfect lenses and I go shoot for money and can feel comfortable with my gear to charge the day rates I charge. I'm not cheap either

Mirror wrote:
Don't want to start a fight but let's say you have a spectacular photo, an image that just blows everyone away. Is anybody asking for decentering issues? Just asking...
Serious, if I take a strong flashlight and look into my expensive GM-Glass I will find dust for sure. Will it effect my pictures, most likely not, but it will take away my sleep. Therefore I just look for obvious problems that appear right away. Forensic Science I let other's do

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

A decentered or tilted lens will suffer resolution loss throughout the entire frame (some areas more than others), so it's not only a corner issue. It also affects aberration control.
If that's not important really depends on your needs.

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:31 PM
vario1
• • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Thanks Guy

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM
Mirror
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
A decentered or tilted lens will suffer resolution loss throughout the entire frame (some areas more than others), so it's not only a corner issue. It also affects aberration control.
If that's not important really depends on your needs.

Fully correct, I just wonder if we could afford these lenses if the QC would let go only 100% centered copies

Aug 11, 2017 at 07:37 AM
artur5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Nobody could. Under such premise no manufacturer would release any lens ever, because the prices would skyrocket by a factor of 10x ( almost to Leica's level. )
Let's be realistic. There aren't any 100% perfectly centered lenses out there. Some people might be fine with a 90% of perfection, while others won't keep anything below 98%, so the manufacturers try to find the best relationship between QC and pricing in order to content the maximum percentage of customers and get the highest profit.
We all know that, as sensor resolution increases, lenses that seemed flawless years ago now show their inherent limitations. Even Guy's 6 perfect copies would exhibit some kind of decentering in a A9R-MkIII 150 Mpix camera.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:26 AM
Lucinda
• •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Did I ever mention that the 50mm f/1.4 really ROCKS?!!!

ILCE-7RM2    50mm    f/1.4    1/400s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:09 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

I to try to get to at least 95 percent perfect and that ain't easy at all. Best lens really Is the FE 50 1.4 that I've come across. It's hits just about every check mark just wish I liked 50mm more than I do. Really that maybe me being very anal about it. If you polled your last 800 shots my bet 500 of them the corners would mean nothing anyway. Where I get nervous is the quick fall off in the mid range and if your shooting small groups and such those on the outside could go soft easily. So you really have to watch field curvature lenses.

artur5 wrote:
Nobody could. Under such premise no manufacturer would release any lens ever, because the prices would skyrocket by a factor of 10x ( almost to Leica's level. )
Let's be realistic. There aren't any 100% perfectly centered lenses out there. Some people might be fine with a 90% of perfection, while others won't keep anything below 98%, so the manufacturers try to find the best relationship between QC and pricing in order to content the maximum percentage of customers and get the highest profit.
We all know that, as sensor resolution increases, lenses that seemed flawless years ago now show
...Show more

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Parariss
• •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Lucinda wrote:
Did I ever mention that the 50mm f/1.4 really ROCKS?!!!

No, I don't think so.
Do you think that's something you're likely to do?

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:56 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

GMPhotography wrote:
I to try to get to at least 95 percent perfect and that ain't easy at all. Best lens really Is the FE 50 1.4 that I've come across. It's hits just about every check mark just wish I liked 50mm more than I do. Really that maybe me being very anal about it. If you polled your last 800 shots my bet 500 of them the corners would mean nothing anyway. Where I get nervous is the quick fall off in the mid range and if your shooting small groups and such those on the outside could go soft
...Show more

Well said, Guy. There is more about it than just corner peeping even if the sharp spot is still laser sharp as it is in case of my decentered 1.4/50ZA.

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

GMPhotography wrote:
I to try to get to at least 95 percent perfect and that ain't easy at all. Best lens really Is the FE 50 1.4 that I've come across. It's hits just about every check mark just wish I liked 50mm more than I do. Really that maybe me being very anal about it. If you polled your last 800 shots my bet 500 of them the corners would mean nothing anyway. Where I get nervous is the quick fall off in the mid range and if your shooting small groups and such those on the outside could go soft
...Show more

A while back I sold you a perfect 50/1.4 ZA and you didn't keep it!!!
Currently I have great copies of the 50/1.4 ZA and 55/1.8 ZA. I've learned the 55/1.8 works great on the A6500 together with Sony's 24/1.8. (35/85 equiv. tiny lenses on a small body)

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:13 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

I know and I'm wish I really liked the 50mm focal length as I Have tried several times but it just don't fit me.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Currently I have great copies of the 50/1.4 ZA and 55/1.8 ZA. I've learned the 55/1.8 works great on the A6500 together with Sony's 24/1.8. (35/85 equiv. tiny lenses on a small body)

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:01 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Sounds like an endless loop :P

Fred Miranda wrote:

Yes, the 24/55 combo is the way to go for the A6500. I've used it for four months and it is very practical with fast AF, reasonable size and decent optical qualities.

I've missed the 24 on my A7ii so much that I just got a 2.8/35 ZA as replacement. Not the same macro feature but even smaller and otherwise quite comparable.

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:04 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Color intensity and contrast are really high. This image was just imported to LR, white +30 and exported:

Pink Rose by Jannik Peters, auf Flickr

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Fred don't forget about the 35mm f/2.8 ZA on the A6500 it also makes a great 50ish lens to go along with the 24mm and 55mm so you have a nice 3 lens kit of 35/50/85.
Chuck

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password