Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
30
       31       32       end
  

Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review
  
 
NIH NSF
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Has anyone tried the A mount T* 50mm 1.4 hood on 50mm FE ZA? The ZA hood is way too tall. I know there are some screw-in replacement hood, but not going that route at the moment.


Jun 18, 2017 at 07:41 PM
r.gil
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Lanier shooting in low light with the 50mm 1.4 https://youtu.be/TOQgnKnURh4


Jun 21, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Marve Almar
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Does anyone have experience with the ZA 50/1.4 on the A9 yet? Do you have to turn mechanical shutter on with fast shutter speeds to get the best bokeh?

Any experience is appreciated!



Jun 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Marve Almar wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the ZA 50/1.4 on the A9 yet? Do you have to turn mechanical shutter on with fast shutter speeds to get the best bokeh?

Any experience is appreciated!


The 50/1.4 ZA on the A9 (silent shutter) would allow you to shoot at high shutter speeds without worrying about EFCS and therefore harsh bokeh. However that can already be done on the A7RII with stationary subjects.



Jul 09, 2017 at 09:45 PM
dumplinknet
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Interesting, Fred. In my experience, using the electronic shutter on the A7RII at high shutter speeds yield bokeh that is harsh and not as smooth as the mechanical shutter.
I'd like to know what others experience are.

Does the A9 allow you to shoot with a large aperture in the electronic shutter while maintaining smooth bokeh?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The 50/1.4 ZA on the A9 (silent shutter) would allow you to shoot at high shutter speeds without worrying about EFCS and therefore hard bokeh. However that can already be done on the A7RII with stationary subjects.




Jul 09, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Jochenb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 35/2.8 ZA is not loved enough imo. Sony was able to accomplish something difficult to do in a very small lens. High contrast, low aberration (LoCA) and high resolution from center to very edges wide open. The main complain is harsher rendering at mid distance but other than that, this lens is excellent.


I know it's very personal, but the FE 35/2.8 was the lens that I disliked the most of everything I shot on the A7 cameras.
Not only it has harsh rendering and extreme vignetting (even still at F8), it has a very weird DOF behavior. Stopping down makes the DOF shift to the foreground, almost no DOF is gained to the background. Only a few reviewers seem to have noticed it. As a result you always need to keep in mind to focus at the furthest point of your scene.
IMHO this is a horrendous, hugely overpriced lens.



Jul 09, 2017 at 11:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Jochenb wrote:
I know it's very personal, but the FE 35/2.8 was the lens that I disliked the most of everything I shot on the A7 cameras.
Not only it has harsh rendering and extreme vignetting (even still at F8), it has a very weird DOF behavior. Stopping down makes the DOF shift to the foreground, almost no DOF is gained to the background. Only a few reviewers seem to have noticed it. As a result you always need to keep in mind to focus at the furthest point of your scene.
IMHO this is a horrendous, hugely overpriced lens.


Definitely very personal. I say 'excellent', you say 'horrendous'.
We must be using it for different applications.



Jul 09, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


dumplinknet wrote:
Interesting, Fred. In my experience, using the electronic shutter on the A7RII at high shutter speeds yield bokeh that is harsh and not as smooth as the mechanical shutter.
I'd like to know what others experience are.

Does the A9 allow you to shoot with a large aperture in the electronic shutter while maintaining smooth bokeh?



Silent shutter has the same effect as turning EFCS 'off'.
EFCS causes harsher rendering at wide apertures (f/1.4) and high shutter speeds. I'm not sure how you are getting the exact opposite behavior.



Jul 09, 2017 at 11:18 PM
Jochenb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Definitely very personal. I say 'excellent', you say 'horrendous'.
We must be using it for different applications.


Indeed
We do agree about the FE 35/1.4 though... because I also think that's a great lens.




Jul 09, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Jochenb wrote:
Indeed
We do agree about the FE 35/1.4 though... because I also think that's a great lens.


Good, I'm glad we agree on that one.

Seriously, the 35/2.8 ZA can't compete with lenses like Sonnar 35/2 or 35/1.4 ZA as far as rendering. I don't mind dragging the much bigger 35/1.4 ZA for that.
What impresses me about it is the high resolution/contrast throughout the field from wide-open at infinity distances. It's also well corrected for aberrations which is a plus for many applications. Mid-field resolution is one of the best I've seen and I dare to say it's similar (if not better at many apertures) compared to the Sonnar 35/2 at a distance.

This may sound controversial, but after testing it against the ZM 35/1.4 + front filter, I decided keeping the 35/2.8 ZA and selling the ZM. It's way sharper at mid-field, similar at center and the corners are not too far behind. I agree that vignetting is high but that's the easiest post correction.



Jul 09, 2017 at 11:37 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Jochenb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #11 · p.30 #11 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


The thing that drove me nuts with the FE 35/2.8 (and what makes me say it's horrendous) was the DOF behavior, not the sharpness of the things that were actually in focus.
Not once I had this issue with other 35mm lenses. You can all easily do the test and see how little DOF goes to the background when stopping down. I missed quite a few shots because of this (when doing fast paced street shooting). I went looking for others that might have noticed it, to check if it was just my copy or the lens design. It turned out that I wasn't the only one.



Jul 09, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #12 · p.30 #12 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Jochenb wrote:
The thing that drove me nuts with the FE 35/2.8 (and what makes me say it's horrendous) was the DOF behavior, not the sharpness of the things that were actually in focus.
Not once I had this issue with other 35mm lenses. You can all easily do the test and see how little DOF goes to the background when stopping down. I missed quite a few shots because of this (when doing fast paced street shooting). I went looking for others that might have noticed it, to check if it was just my copy or the lens design. It turned
...Show more

I'm not following this one. What do you mean by DOF not going to the background? At infinity it's pretty much flat field.



Jul 10, 2017 at 12:13 AM
Mirror
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #13 · p.30 #13 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Definitely my best lens I ever had, and that with AF. I have the impression that the FL is slightly under 50mm. I also read this somewhere. Anybody here who tested the FL vs. others? It might be only 47-48mm!? Which is great since it doesn't force me to own the 35mm 1.4.


Jul 10, 2017 at 09:54 AM
Jochenb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #14 · p.30 #14 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm not following this one. What do you mean by DOF not going to the background? At infinity it's pretty much flat field.


It's not about field curvature. It's about it's focusing behavior. You will notice that if you focus on for example a subject at mid distance, you hardly gain DOF behind that subject with stopping down. Almost all the extra DOF goes to the foreground. The only way to get the background more in focus is to actually compensate for this and focus behind the subject when you stop down. At least on the A7 and A7S back then. I believe this was also later documented at Diglloyd (when I still had a subscription).
The FE 35/1.4 and 35/2 Sonnar on my RX1RII don't behave like this.





Jul 10, 2017 at 11:43 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #15 · p.30 #15 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Jochenb wrote:
It's not about field curvature. It's about it's focusing behavior. You will notice that if you focus on for example a subject at mid distance, you hardly gain DOF behind that subject with stopping down. Almost all the extra DOF goes to the foreground. The only way to get the background more in focus is to actually compensate for this and focus behind the subject when you stop down. At least on the A7 and A7S back then. I believe this was also later documented at Diglloyd (when I still had a subscription).
The FE 35/1.4 and 35/2 Sonnar on
...Show more

Thanks for letting me know. I will test this out today.



Jul 10, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Parariss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #16 · p.30 #16 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I will test this out today.


Not disagreeing, jochenb, just hoping to learn something:
As I understand it, what one gains in DoF from stopping down isn't a function of lens design, it's a function of focal length, focus distance, sensor size, and aperture. I could see how the way one camera's autofocus logic (especially when letting the camera choose AF points from a wide area) might differ from another model's, but it seems like all 35mm lenses should behave the same on a given body. I could also see the AF decisions a camera makes being handled differently with shorter focal lengths because the manufacturer decided to bake-in some guesses about user preferences given how wide lenses more quickly hit hyperfocal, but that wouldn't seem to be lens-specific, either.



Jul 10, 2017 at 06:12 PM
Marve Almar
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #17 · p.30 #17 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 50/1.4 ZA on the A9 (silent shutter) would allow you to shoot at high shutter speeds without worrying about EFCS and therefore harsh bokeh. However that can already be done on the A7RII with stationary subjects.


Thanks, that helps!



Jul 10, 2017 at 09:22 PM
jarek0423
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #18 · p.30 #18 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


I got an A9 right when it was released and have the 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 that I use on my A9. The 50/1.4 is quickly becoming my favorite lens (and I'm mostly a 35mm guy). My Noctilux has been sitting on the shelf since I got the 50/1.4... That's the only downside so far of using this lens!


Jul 10, 2017 at 10:50 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #19 · p.30 #19 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Parariss wrote:
Not disagreeing, jochenb, just hoping to learn something:
As I understand it, what one gains in DoF from stopping down isn't a function of lens design, it's a function of focal length, focus distance, sensor size, and aperture.


it is also a function of lens design. DoF charts and such are based on a model of an idealized single element lens, the realities of how actual lenses are designed produce results that vary in from these in their reality to some degree.





Jul 12, 2017 at 11:07 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #20 · p.30 #20 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA Rolling Review


Jochenb wrote:
It's not about field curvature. It's about it's focusing behavior. You will notice that if you focus on for example a subject at mid distance, you hardly gain DOF behind that subject with stopping down. Almost all the extra DOF goes to the foreground. The only way to get the background more in focus is to actually compensate for this and focus behind the subject when you stop down. At least on the A7 and A7S back then. I believe this was also later documented at Diglloyd (when I still had a subscription).
The FE 35/1.4 and 35/2 Sonnar on
...Show more

You mean there's focus shift? But doesn't it focus stopped down? Or do you mean the autofocus has front focus? Is that true on the latest FW?



Jul 13, 2017 at 01:38 AM
1       2       3              29      
30
       31       32       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
30
       31       32       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password