Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

These 2 lenses are super long in the tooth. The CA is quite horrible on both. Comparing raw files of the 50 1.8 STM, it's immediately noticeable that the new STM lens has better color and punch than its more expensive bigger brothers.

Perhaps Canon is working on these for their 6d2 launch but it a long time coming.

Absolutely love the 1.8 STM so looking forward to better *affordable* lenses from Canon.

Aug 02, 2016 at 02:29 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Not impatient but an 85 f1.8 IS of quality similar to my 35 f2 IS would be of interest to me.

Aug 02, 2016 at 02:32 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Both are currently reasonably priced. How much premium are you willing to spend on their upgraded versions?

Aug 02, 2016 at 03:04 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

chez wrote:
Both are currently reasonably priced. How much premium are you willing to spend on their upgraded versions?

chez nails it here.

Despite their limits wide-open, they're both Canon's sharpest lenses in their respective focal lengths- stopped down a bit, of course. But they're effective at their price-points.

Still, it would be nice to see updates along the lines of the IS triplet, especially considering that Canon didn't blow the size and weight limits with those (I own the 24 and 35).

Aug 02, 2016 at 04:18 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

The current models are very cheap on the used market. And while new models would sell well, and I'd be interested, many of the target (budget) audience would perhaps feed off the ones floating around used - picking up bargains.

Often the difference between existing and new models is not that great in reality. Meaning you pay a premium for slightly cleaner images. So Canon would have to price them sensibly - going for turnover rather than profit - to tempt budget users away from the thousands of used units out there.

Aug 02, 2016 at 07:02 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

If you go head to head with the same size print from each does one look better than the other to you? If so, is it a one time thing or is it ongoing?
If you mix them up and observe over a few weeks to a month or so - any change in your opinion?

Newest and greatest is not always an improvement in the final image.

Aug 02, 2016 at 10:27 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Despite the build quality, I do like to use my 50mm 1.4 from time to time it never fails me... money well spent but I do welcome new 50mm 1.4 similar to Sony/Sigma in terms of sharpness and bokeh, half the size and cheaper than both (in Canon I trust)...

Aug 03, 2016 at 01:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

The Tamron 85 f/1.8 VC is highly rated and pretty much what to consider as what Canon would charge as a minimum based on the $600 price tag of the 35 f/2 IS

Aug 03, 2016 at 06:07 AM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

I'm pretty sure that if the new Canon 85mm f/1.8 is released with image stabilization, it will be significantly more expensive than the Tamron. As for the 50/1.4 (again: if and when it is done), there is no accurate baseline for the price, because the other 50/1.4s have ranged from "bargain" to "sell a kidney" (and that's even if we specifically exclude Leica lenses from the tally).

Aug 03, 2016 at 06:39 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Both would probably double in price (if not more) and price is a major component to how people view them. Most lenses by now are pretty good. They have all probably reached that 85%-90% mark in IQ. Getting that last 10% is exponentially expensive.

The 135 could be in the same boat. If Canon updated the lens with IS and made it slightly faster at f1.8 plus tighten up all the other lens characteristics, how much is that going to cost? Many people love the 135 because they can afford it.

Aug 03, 2016 at 07:00 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

We all can see that new ones of these are probably under consideration by Canon. As others say, they would probably double the price compared to the originals (at least initially, before sinking to what the market can stand - as is the Canon way). I like the Canon 50mm f1.4 myself although it could be more robust, although I've never had a problem with it. It doesn't suffer from excessive CA in my opinion, although it is hazy wide open, a little work in post really tightens it up though. These days I am after nice bokeh in my fast 50s, so if anything that is a priority for me, but I would certainly be interested in an IS 50/1.4. My guess is that Canon still sell enough of them a year to keep it in production. I no longer have the 85mm as I prefer the Sigma 1.4, but would certainly like to see a new Canon 85/1.8 IS: it would be nice to have an 85mm with 100% reliable AF. I'll have to try the Tamron 85 one day, although I really like the Sigma.

Aug 03, 2016 at 09:10 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Just a better CA on both lens would be enough.

Francois

Aug 03, 2016 at 09:12 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Optically the Canon 50/1.4 is a great lens, I always liked its image quality. Severe issue with the lens is not in its optics, it is the poor mechanical built. Many users including me experience that the focus gets stuck especially when something hits the protruding front element (that's why a hood is always recommended to be used on this lens).

Currently there are good alternatives out for faster 50 mm EF lenses. Sigma has some very good ones. There is currently no Canon 50 mm lens which is excellent - each of the available versions has some known issues. The 50/1.2 is well built but not the sharpest (beautiful bokeh though), the 50/1.4 has a mechanical fault as described, the 50/1.8 can have some sort of AF issues.

The Canon 85/1.8 lens is a good one, too - never had an issue with it. It is very susceptive to chromatic aberrations though.

Aug 03, 2016 at 09:22 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

decided not to wait
The Tamron 85mm F1.8 VC is an excellent lens with stabilization.
No regrets on the purchase or image quality

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:06 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

rattlebonez wrote:
decided not to wait
The Tamron 85mm F1.8 VC is an excellent lens with stabilization.
No regrets on the purchase or image quality

The Tamron is certainly an effective alternative, but it doesn't quite hit all the points in terms of cleaning up the LoCA or maintaining the 85/1.8 USMs excellent AF speed (which makes owning it worthwhile even if one also has an 85/1.2L).

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:11 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

The 50mm f/1.4 is junk. I know from experience - had 3 (2 warranty replacements). Fragile, funky, slow. Can't say a good thing about it. The 85mm f/1.8, on the other hand, is an excellent lens. I use it extensively for indoor sports where the lighting is so bad that I have to go below f/2.8 to get the shot. Indoors, chromatic aberration isn't invisible/non-existent. In good sunlight - depending on where the light is and what's going on, you can get variance. I've never had any problem removing it in post.

No doubt the 50/85Ls are great lenses, but price and for me more important - focus acquisition - just doesn't make it. There's no doubt in my mind that replacements for either lens will be significantly more expensive. That's the "Canon Way."

Robert

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:30 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

johnctharp wrote:
The Tamron is certainly an effective alternative, but it doesn't quite hit all the points in terms of cleaning up the LoCA or maintaining the 85/1.8 USMs excellent AF speed (which makes owning it worthwhile even if one also has an 85/1.2L).

Well, yes. But, it has a remarkable minimum focusing distance... which may account for its slightly slower focusing. And stabilization! That's important to me. Plus, great rendering, nice build quality, and weather sealing.

LoCA wide open is minor, probably better than the Canon, and can be cleaned up in post pretty easily in most cases.

I would love to see Canon match this performance, honestly.

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:35 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

Garyvot, I agree about the Tamron 85mm F1.8 VC.
LoCA has not been an issue for me; as you said minor compared Canon 85 F1.8
I currently do not have the Canon lens to compare focus; but the Tamron has worked well so far

of course, it would be good for us all if Canon releases an 85mm F1.8 IS that beats the Tamron

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:41 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

I think the 50/1.4 is way more in need of replacement than 85/1.8. The build quality of the 85/1.8 does not bother me at all. (I've had 2, I currently have one.) The CA is there but it's not a huge deal, easy to correct, and the lens focuses pretty damn well even wide open.

The 50/1.4.. never had a good experience with mine. I did have the common focus failure issue but Canon only charged me $100 to fix it, focus is never consistent with the 50/1.4 unless you need a 1DX/1DXII for it to work well. (I used mine with the 5D and currently have a 5D3.) It looks quite bad wide open, you really need to be going for an artistic effect and center your subject IMO.

I have the 50/1.8 STM now.. it is better but still not great, focus isn't as good as a true ring USM lens IMO. If Canon would make a 50/1.4 that performed like the 35 f/2IS in terms of focus accuracy and optics I'd be all over it. The 85/1.8 might be more a question of something would have to happen to my current one before I'd replace it.

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:43 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where are Canon's 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 replacement?

I agree with all the criticisms of the 50 1.4, though I feel a good copy is still a worthwhile lens.

I've never had a mechanical issue with mine. But it's *essential* to use the factory lens hood to protect the front-focusing elements from knocks. I have the hood secured to my copy with gaffers tape, and that's how it stays, in and out of my bags.

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:54 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.