Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

I think my 5DsR focus accuracy is already amazing, even with my 50L, but sure isn't perfect yet. Am I in for a treat with the 1Dx2?

Aug 04, 2016 at 12:57 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

mb126 wrote:
I'd make sure you are getting other work out of them

Yes. And I intend to keep it for a long time. That is why I'm leaning towards the 1Dx2 and not the 1Dx. I'm hoping eight years if it keeps on functioning. I shoot maybe 80000 frames a year, spread between two bodies.

Aug 04, 2016 at 01:02 PM
iplayazi
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

Dude the 5dsr is great but 1.2-1.4 it nails it every time it seems on the 1dxmkii. Plus the live view tracking is awesome when I lift the camera above my head on high shots

Aug 04, 2016 at 05:24 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

I would say wait for the 5d4; it might be a very good compromise between the 5ds and 1dx2. Probably same af accuracy as 1dx2 and same live view usability, enough mpix for weddings, and compact.

Aug 05, 2016 at 01:46 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

Hi Evert, you are probably right about that, but the 5D4 will not feature the fps and weather sealing I want for outdoor events and indoor sports. I will still hold off my purchase for a couple weeks.

Aug 05, 2016 at 02:57 AM
RT v Genugten
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

Shuttersound from the 1dx2 at silent mode is whispersoft. So no need to worry about that too.

Aug 05, 2016 at 03:02 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

It's ok, but not nearly as silent as the current 5d3 (and hopefully the IV). That said, when I shot it at a wedding I don't think guests were bothered by it at all. The regular 1dx2 shutter sounds like a machine gun; would never ever use that but even in silent mode the 5 fps is more than enough for weddings.

Rabbit; I've been shooting 4,5 years with the 5d3 at weddings now and also in quite dodgy weather conditions; never ever had any issues. Usually the exposure to rain is not very long of course since the couple and guests are much less weather resilient than any camera . However if you shoot other events outdoor and sports and such the 1dx2 will obviously be a better choice, also because of the fps you mentioned.

Aug 05, 2016 at 05:49 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

Yes Evert, you are right I'm not worried about wedding showers, but I also want to shoot outdoor sports where I'll be moving around for two hours. Mountain bikers don't suspend their action like tennis players on Wimbledon. And high fps will definitely be an advantage there, as in swimming and soccer.

And it's very reassuring to hear that you shot weddings with 1Dx2 silent shutter mode and that the audience wasn't bothered by you. At least not by your camera sounds

Thank you for posting.

Aug 05, 2016 at 09:43 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

with MTB, the muddier the better right?

Aug 05, 2016 at 10:22 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

evertdoorn wrote:
with MTB, the muddier the better right?

Aug 05, 2016 at 01:11 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

There is definite value in going from 12MP to 20MP but far less in going above that for wedding photography. Larger files slow down the workflow with no real gain. So long as I can produce a 20x30 print for clients that is good enough and these are not fine art landscape images where detail is critical.

I have found it advantageous to have 2 full frame cameras (main and backup) and a APS-C crop camera. I use the full frame with the wide angle and normal zooms and the crop camera with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The 70-200mm is used primarily for the ceremony and a to a small degree used during the reception if it is too difficult to move around the venue at a given point in time. It is very nice at this point in the day to have a much lighter body attached to the 70-200mm lens.

The only time fps is at all important is during the bouquet or garter toss and even then I don't need anything more than 5 fps to get the images I want for my clients.

Aug 05, 2016 at 02:24 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

I had a chance to handle a 1DX II recently and I was quite surprised at how quiet the shutter seemed compared to my 1D Mark IVs. Part of it is due to the insane speed at which the mirror actuates and the shutter triggers, which causes the sound to be very short. But I also think that there is more dampening which helps keep the decibels lower.

As someone who shoots with the 6D at times because of its very quiet shutter, I felt that the 1DX II was a big step forward for a 1-series body. (Not sure if the 1DX is as good or not.) Clearly way better than the Mark IV.

This was not a controlled test or anything... just immediate impressions.

Aug 05, 2016 at 02:33 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DsR + 1Dx2 for weddings?

@ elkhorn: thank you for your insights on file size and fps. It confirms how a decent AF 20mp body like the 5D3 is considered to be perfect for weddings. Both the 5DsR and 1Dx2 seem overkill and in fact less ideal. For the occasional wedding though they should do the job.

@ Gary: thanks for sharing that. I found the 1D4 to be quite loud as well and the same goes for the 1Dx but I didn't compare them directly. It's good to hear that the 1Dx2 silent mode is softer.

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.