FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

PIOK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

I have big stand - Manfrotto 1004BAC - Height 12' (3.65 m) and want to get one more for second OCF ( something smaller) My choices:

1) Manfrotto 1052BAC Height 7.75' (2.34 m) > Footprint Diameter 3.6' (1.0 m) * $84

2) Manfrotto 1051BAC Height 6.9' (2.1 m) > Footprint Diameter 2.3' (70 cm) (VERY SMALL Foot...) * $77

3) Manfrotto 366B Height 77.5" (196.8cm) > Footprint Diameter 35.4" (90cm) * $62

Does nr 2 and 3 are not to low ? I like 1051 BAC but it has so small footprint !!! . Something better to choose ?

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:37 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

Why would you want a second, different one? The great thing about those Manfrottos is that they stack together. I would just get another of the same size.

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:50 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

mikethevilla wrote:
Why would you want a second, different one? The great thing about those Manfrottos is that they stack together. I would just get another of the same size.

I know. But I want also one for other kinds of events and also locations ( lighter and smaller )

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:55 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

This might seem obvious, but what do you need? Do you need an 8' stand or do you need a very small footprint? I'm not sure what insight anyone else will have.

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:56 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

BSPhotog wrote:
This might seem obvious, but what do you need? Do you need an 8' stand or do you need a very small footprint? .

Part of my question was if 7' or 6' is enough ( maybe not )
Same goes with a footprint ? I guess at least 90 - 100 cm ? ( 35 inches and UP )

So.. does medium size could be better than the two I mentioned in point 2 and 3 ? >>> still not too big but high enough and with better support

Aug 01, 2016 at 02:18 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

Get more of the 1004BAC until you've got at least three of those. The point of that system is that they stack together.

The key to off-camera lighting (especially for a group of people dancing) is getting the light high. If the light isn't high enough you get hard shadows across faces.

We regularly max out the 12' foot stands and use three of them in a triangle pattern. We use 15-25lb bags on each stand and tie the stand to something structural if possible. We also use custom dual flash brackets so that we put two speedlights (one for each photographer) on each of the stands.

Take a look at my most recent blog post to see an example.

Aug 01, 2016 at 02:22 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

IMHO 7 feet is never enough... I started with 8 foot stands and always felt like I wanted them higher. I now have PCB 13 foot stands and I still sometimes wish for higher, but not very often. :-) I agree with other posters saying get more of the same stand. they all work the same, if you break something or lose a part it is easier to figure out what you need or have a "parts stand" to keep the others up and running.

Paul

Aug 01, 2016 at 02:29 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

One more option:
Manfrotto 367B Basic Light Stand - 9' (2.7m)
As for now I could buy this one ( high and a little smaller ) and add later second Manfrotto 1004BAC ( to have 2 the same stands )

Aug 01, 2016 at 02:55 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

PIOK wrote:
Part of my question was if 7' or 6' is enough ( maybe not )
Same goes with a footprint ? I guess at least 90 - 100 cm ? ( 35 inches and UP )

So.. does medium size could be better than the two I mentioned in point 2 and 3 ? >>> still not too big but high enough and with better support

I am a bit different from some in that all of my stands are different. All will serve the same basic functions, but the differences give me some flexibility. Although having a bunch exactly the same will stack nice and look pretty together, they also have the same capabilities and limitations.

Probably my favorite stand is the Manfrotto 1005BAC. Shorter than your 12' stand, but with a higher weight limit. I pair this with the 099b when I need some serious height. It gets me around 17' (9' stand, 92" extension, + a few inches with the umbrella bracket), which is really great for outdoor receptions.

The 5001b is also brilliant. Love having a tiny stand that folds small and can be carried along anywhere. I have a couple of Matthews Baby Stand Extensions ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=33185&gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKA31UiohC-Tv21iXe5UM9j707pTMuwwPuFUhCcbMyQbxoC_vfw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q= ), which extend from 15" to just shy of 4'. I pair these with the Mandrotto Nano stand or other stands for some extra reach as well.

In general, it is good to be able to get the light up high, but consider all of the ways you would like to use the stand and think about what you like and dislike about your current stand. Unless it is a super portable special purpose stand, I wouldn't even consider anything less than 8'.

Aug 02, 2016 at 09:15 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

We added the new Nano stand with the pull out lightstick. Perfect for elopements/intimate weddings (when I have someone lightsticking for glory shots). It's a nice mate to our 8ft stackables (which stop stacking after 10 weddings or so).

Aug 02, 2016 at 09:19 AM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

I also use the 1004BAC- I started with 2 but wanted an extra one so I ordered a smaller Manfrotto stand. Now I have 4 1004BAC's and the smaller stand literally never leaves the car. I'm not even sure why it's still in the car...

Aug 02, 2016 at 09:21 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

Decided to order: Manfrotto 367B Basic Light Stand - Height 9' (2.7 m )

I think is a good option ( If I need one more > I will get second 1004 BAC )
Hope is a good smaller choice

Aug 02, 2016 at 01:07 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

The sucky thing about the 12 foot stands yeah they stack, but you're stuck with carrying them out, or do you guys have a rolling solution?

Oct 03, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

trevanian wrote:
The sucky thing about the 12 foot stands yeah they stack, but you're stuck with carrying them out, or do you guys have a rolling solution?

I carry them in a bag. It's pretty heavy with 4 stands.

Oct 04, 2016 at 08:55 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Second Light Stand for Receptions

1004BAC is not really a big stand, you need 12ft for a reception, 8ft is only enough for close quarters portraity shots.

I have the Manfrotto 1052BAC and I cannot state enough how much of a piece of junk this stand is. Despite it's similar appearance to the 1004 & 1005 it sags not matter how tight you do the legs and spins around in the lightest of breeze with a small softbox no matter how tight you make it. It is honestly bizarre to think the 1004 and this stand are made by the same company. In every one of the stobist vids with it you can see it sagging.

Oct 04, 2016 at 11:00 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.