New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Safe to buy a used D600?

996gt2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Safe to buy a used D600?

I haven't kept up with Nikon bodies for a few years, but I do remember a shutter recall for D600 bodies with the oil issue a couple of years ago. If a D600 has had its shutter replaced under recall, does that mean the oil issue is 100% resolved and that the camera is as problem free as a D610 or other Nikon body?

Thanks

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Safe to buy a used D600?

should be.

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:04 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Safe to buy a used D600?

The shutter replacement and eventual D610 replacement is for the life of the camera body as far as I know. They won't have D610's around forever of course but they have so far been pretty generous with it. Sure is a cheap way to get an excellent FF body these days if you're willing to potentially deal with a small amount of hassle.

Just to clarify, if it's had the recall, that does *not* mean it's a D610. They just replace the shutter assembly. If after 2-3 times the issue persists, they will send you a new D610.

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Safe to buy a used D600?

Hell, yeah. I got a D600 refurb with da "fix" and paperwork. 20,000+ clicks
and I'm growin' a beard waitin' for an oil spot. An amazing sensor, still.

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Safe to buy a used D600?

AFAIK Nikon's service advisory issued on the D70 (Blinking Green Light of Death) is still good. Never saw anything rescinding it. So yes, the D600 offer still stands..

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:29 PM
Jawnath1n
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Safe to buy a used D600?

I bought a used D600 with just 300 clicks and to my surprise it was already repaired. Probably repaired before it went on the shelves and to its first owner. You can tell whether it has already been fixed with a black dot in the tripod socket. If I get a dirty sensor I can send it in for free cleanings . Got a smokin deal on it too.

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:32 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Safe to buy a used D600?

I have one of the last D600s, and it is awesome. I have had no oil spots. I'd be interested to know what proportion were affected, and why. It does seem to get more dust than my D200, presumably due to the large mirror, and greater surface area.

Aug 01, 2016 at 03:02 PM
Jawnath1n
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Safe to buy a used D600?

Leif, does your D600 have a black dot in the tripod socket?

Aug 01, 2016 at 03:08 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Safe to buy a used D600?

Jawnath1n wrote:
Leif, does your D600 have a black dot in the tripod socket?

Well I never, yes it does. I bought it new for a good price due to the scare. So presumably that means either that it was repaired after manufacturing, but before shipping, or that it was manufactured with the fix, I assume the latter. I seem to recall the fix was a redesigned shutter, but not the same as the D610 one.

Thom Hogan thinks the faulty units were an early batch, or batches.

Aug 01, 2016 at 03:49 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Safe to buy a used D600?

The whole batch was bad. But as long as where you're buying it was sane and put it in for free repair. You should have a stigmatized camera for cheap. The only reason why I still have my D600. The resale value is so bad.

Aug 01, 2016 at 04:49 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Safe to buy a used D600?

mrgetalife wrote:
The whole batch was bad. But as long as where you're buying it was sane and put it in for free repair. You should have a stigmatized camera for cheap. The only reason why I still have my D600. The resale value is so bad.

What a batch are you referring to? Plenty of D600's had no oil issues, including the one I had. Obviously a good number were affected but certainly not all of them.

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:25 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Safe to buy a used D600?

Mine was repaired around 12k clicks, but a few thousand clicks and it was exactly the same. Actually, I have no way of knowing that they fixed anything. They probably just have better sensor cleaning tools than I do (10 rounds of wet clean and my oil spots were smaller and in different places, but getting them off the sensor is almost impossible for me).

Time to send it in again. Would I buy a used one? Only for the right price.

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:45 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Safe to buy a used D600?

Shoot, it's safe to buy a used D70, let alone 4 year-old D600. It has free lifetime cleaning and guarantee on the shutter. It's the safest used Nikon you can buy!

G.

Aug 01, 2016 at 09:56 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Safe to buy a used D600?

Good-ish deal. Nikon (at least here in LA) will honor the recall regardless of whether you're the original owner or not. I bought a used one, didn't bother to check for oil spots...found them the next day when I took the time to check. Nikon LA replaced the shutter and cleaned the sensor no questions asked. Oil came back a week later and I took it back...they gave me a new D610.

Only problem is the D610 has some oil spots too lol. Not nearly as much as the D600 but enough that I need to clean after a couple shoots.

All in all, the D600 is a good camera...the only issue I don't care for is the AF system, but other than that it's perfectly usable. Fortunately for buyers now the whole oil thing has made prices bottom out...so if you buy used you'll either A) get a good FF camera for super cheap (seen em as low as $700), or B) end up with a new D610 (again for the price of the used D600 and a couple trips to the local Nikon center)

Aug 01, 2016 at 11:21 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Safe to buy a used D600?

I bought a D600 early on, I sent it in for cleaning, then the new shutter. After a couple years, the spots started building up again. So I sent it in and ended up getting a 610 as a replacement. So, in the worst case, you'd get a 610 for the price of a 600. In any case, it's a fantastic camera, good enough that I bailed on Canon after 10 years.
Paul

Aug 02, 2016 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.