100%

Original:

Apr 25, 2017 at 07:44 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.106 #2 · p.106 #2 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Maybe a few of f/7.1 will make Gordon happy

NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/7.1    1/200s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/7.1    1/200s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 26, 2017 at 02:47 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.106 #3 · p.106 #3 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

First:

Love these images, though I haven't shot Nikon for quite a while -- nice talent on display.

But, wanted to throw in my 2 cents:

I don't really agree with the tone the poster took nor about bokeh necessarily being a crutch (though I guess some photographers use it as such...we all have our vices!) but I will say this...with the understanding that I'm not pointing out any single photographer here or anywhere else for that matter....too much bokeh I think gets distracting (and by bokeh, I'm actually meaning "very thin DOF")

It seems contradictory, but true. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is but maybe I can explain it...some photos (especially with 200/2s, though I love that image thread) look fake.

The same phenomenon also happens with the Sony 135 STF lens, which actually sorta turned me off to that lens.

I think it's because someone will photograph a 'flat field' shot, meaning the intended focal plane--containing the subject and surrounding photo elements--is entirely parallel with the sensor. The background elements are far enough away that the are almost obliterated.

The effect, then, is that you have what looks like a composite image. Super-sharp (and usually really nice) subject that almost looks like it's been pasted on a digital background.

The same effect happens when someone locally edits a file with a gaussian blur and obliterates the background a little too much -- it just tends to look a bit unnatural to me.

That's not to say all 200/2 shots (or 100/1.4 or 135 STF, etc) are like that, but when the stars align just so, the photos look very 'odd' because of this phenomenon -- Super sharp subject foreground and zero transition to a super-blurred background.

I think it's that distinct lack of fall-off that really looks strange to me. It's not that I'm adverse to the '3-D' ness of a shot (I LOVE those) but the ones I like typically have transitions, whereas something like a 200/2 or the STF can have a jarring non-transition ??

edit -- just realized that other poster may have been talking about bokeh, in general, as a crutch, which I totally disagree with. It's what helps us separate the look of our photo from something like a P&S camera and it's infinity-DOF I guess I went on a crazy tangent with my line of thinking.

Happily disregard

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:25 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.106 #4 · p.106 #4 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Elijah wrote:
Maybe a few of f/7.1 will make Gordon happy

Bangin' contrast, Elijah. Not like you at all

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Almass
• • •
p.106 #5 · p.106 #5 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

I am a sucker for colored hair. Here is Soha in Blue.

Apr 26, 2017 at 09:23 AM
mitchel674
• •
p.106 #6 · p.106 #6 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Some shots with my daughter before the annual daddy-daughter dance. This lens is incredible wide open.

Apr 29, 2017 at 02:19 AM
guitardirky
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.106 #7 · p.106 #7 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

There is a distinct difference to a bokeh background and a Gaussian blur background.

cputeq wrote:
First:

Love these images, though I haven't shot Nikon for quite a while -- nice talent on display.

But, wanted to throw in my 2 cents:

I don't really agree with the tone the poster took nor about bokeh necessarily being a crutch (though I guess some photographers use it as such...we all have our vices!) but I will say this...with the understanding that I'm not pointing out any single photographer here or anywhere else for that matter....too much bokeh I think gets distracting (and by bokeh, I'm actually meaning "very thin DOF")

It seems contradictory, but true. I'm not sure exactly what
...Show more

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:34 AM
1       2       3              105      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              105      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password