Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              139      
140
       end
  

Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread
  
 
Desertcruiser
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.140 #1 · p.140 #1 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Dj R wrote:
I don't think any Nikkor G lens are good enough, in my view, for long portrait on the too-many-megapixel D850.
Cheers all!


Cheers!

I agree with you until this point above. I think at least the 200f2G can handle it...



Oct 23, 2017 at 07:15 PM
Blakehfreeman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #2 · p.140 #2 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


I whole heartedly agree! The only thing that you can complain about is the weight... and it doesn't bother me much!

Desertcruiser wrote:
Cheers!

I agree with you until this point above. I think at least the 200f2G can handle it...




Oct 23, 2017 at 07:49 PM
gvg45
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #3 · p.140 #3 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Grabbed one of these for a project I have coming up.

Edited on Oct 23, 2017 at 08:50 PM · View previous versions



Oct 23, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Dj R
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #4 · p.140 #4 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Desertcruiser wrote:
Cheers!

I agree with you until this point above. I think at least the 200f2G can handle it...


forgot about that BEAST!
haha! good point!



Oct 23, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Todd
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #5 · p.140 #5 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Well donít forget about the Sigma lenses, I realize that many of you donít care or want to use sigma lenses, but so far they are at the top of their game and are sharp enough to handle 46+ mega pixels. Iím considering getting the Nikon 58mm F/1 .4 G again, and I recently tested one at my local camera store and was very unhappy with the sharpness wide open. It was extremely soft and not any different from my 50 mm F/1.4 G. I realize that the Bokeh is much better but to get any really nice detail you have to shoot at F2 or 2.5.

My sigma 135 and 85 are extremely nice and razor sharp. But they are heavy, and Iíve also considered going back to the 85mm F/1. 4G as well but I have not committed yet. I just would like to have it because of its size I think. However it is also a little bit soft wide open, F/2.5 brings it up on par with some of my Sigma lenses wide open. So yeah, the Nikon D850 sensor does not out render or out resolve my sigma lenses at all.

Dj R wrote:
forgot about that BEAST!
haha! good point!




Oct 23, 2017 at 08:57 PM
BSPhotog
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #6 · p.140 #6 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Dj R wrote:
after being back on the saddle with this lens for the past month....
I wanted to voice my opinion that this lens is the absolute best for professional portraits with a D850

you def need to have a steady hand if free shooting. and keep ss up at 320.

2nd place: 70-200E, the VR is really helpful, and the IQ is fantastic.

Honorable mention: Sigma 85 Art, just b/c there isn't anything else from nikon at portrait FL that is sharp enough.

I don't think any Nikkor G lens are good enough, in my view, for professional (tele) portrait on the too-many-megapixel D850.

(speaking only
...Show more

I no longer own it, but I'd wager that the 105 VR would hold up to the D850. I know it isn't super fast, but the 60 g/d probably have the sharpness to hang with the D850 as well.



Oct 23, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Dj R
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #7 · p.140 #7 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Todd wrote:
Well donít forget about the Sigma lenses, I realize that many of you donít care or want to use sigma lenses, but so far they are at the top of their game and are sharp enough to handle 46+ mega pixels. Iím considering getting the Nikon 58mm F/1 .4 G again, and I recently tested one at my local camera store and was very unhappy with the sharpness wide open. It was extremely soft and not any different from my 50 mm F/1.4 G. I realize that the Bokeh is much better but to get any really nice detail you
...Show more

When I was shooting with two D750, I sold the 105 and went back to the 85 1.4g. it was great
then I got a D850 and ended up feeling the need to get another 105, here I am today.

the 58 lets in a lot more light than the 50 1.4g. I tested them, at the same settings. it was pretty neat to see.
but for me, I am going to give the sigma 50 art another chance.
I sold my 58G for $1125 locally last week
for that money, I can own the Art version for pro gigs, have the sharpness I need on d850
and still be able to afford a nifty fifty for personal shooting/family.
not bad.



Oct 23, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Todd
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #8 · p.140 #8 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


I had the sigma 50 mm at one point and I sold it to purchase a retro Nikon 85 mm F/1. For AIS that was in pristine condition but I guess I got tired of the manual focus thing and ended up getting the 51.4 G, so now I need to get the sig. my 50 mm F1 .4 again because that thing was so sharp and clean and bright. Thanks for that input on the 58, I didnít think about it being brighter than the other lenses. My 50 art was manufactured in 2014, Iíd like to get a new one manufactured this year or last year. Not sure thatís going to make any difference, but you never now.

-T

Dj R wrote:
When I was shooting with two D750, I sold the 105 and went back to the 85 1.4g. it was great
then I got a D850 and ended up feeling the need to get another 105, here I am today.

the 58 lets in a lot more light than the 50 1.4g. I tested them, at the same settings. it was pretty neat to see.
but for me, I am going to give the sigma 50 art another chance.
I sold my 58G for $1125 locally last week
for that money, I can own the Art version for pro gigs, have the sharpness I
...Show more



Oct 23, 2017 at 09:36 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



worldexclus1ve
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #9 · p.140 #9 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Todd wrote:
Well donít forget about the Sigma lenses, I realize that many of you donít care or want to use sigma lenses, but so far they are at the top of their game and are sharp enough to handle 46+ mega pixels. Iím considering getting the Nikon 58mm F/1 .4 G again, and I recently tested one at my local camera store and was very unhappy with the sharpness wide open. It was extremely soft and not any different from my 50 mm F/1.4 G. I realize that the Bokeh is much better but to get any really nice detail you
...Show more

The 58/1.4G wasn't made to be a sharp lens. It's the least sharp of the 50mm range.
It was made to have high microcontrast, 3D like rendering. If you reference Zeiss glass, they're not the sharpest either, but the rendering of textures and colors are superior.

If you're on a quest for ultimate sharpness, you will miss out on quality glass.
Sigma can get you a sharp image, but Nikon and Zeiss will give you images that have magic.



Oct 23, 2017 at 10:37 PM
charles.K
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #10 · p.140 #10 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Dj R wrote:
after being back on the saddle with this lens for the past month....
I wanted to voice my opinion that this lens is the absolute best for professional portraits with a D850

you def need to have a steady hand if free shooting. and keep ss up at 320.

2nd place: 70-200E, the VR is really helpful, and the IQ is fantastic.

Honorable mention: Sigma 85 Art, just b/c there isn't anything else from nikon at portrait FL that is sharp enough.

I don't think any Nikkor G lens are good enough, in my view, for professional (tele) portrait on the too-many-megapixel D850.

(speaking only
...Show more

I could not agree more The 105E is the best portrait lens I have owned and it not only about the sharpness, it is the rendering and feel that does not disappoint. It is the reason I sold my XT2 and 56 APD which I also used for portraits.

The 70-200E is just an awesome lens. No need for primes

If sharpness targeted for higher MP's is the intent the Art lenses are very hard to dismiss now with the improved AF and accuracy connectivity to the Sigma lenses. I even find the AF face recognition is faster and more accurate than on the D810. I had for years dismissed Sigma lenses after many of their debacles with AF and consistency. I would say the Sigma Art lenses are almost there. Do check your copy, as I did checking a Nikon 24/1.8G supposedly sharp last week, only to return it. No lens is immune to copy variations and more so with the higher MP's and expectations




Oct 23, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #11 · p.140 #11 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Leica M10 is where it's at guys


Oct 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM
Todd
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #12 · p.140 #12 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Maybe, but I canít afford one of those plus lenses. Nikon may be bulky, but I like it and the size & weight doesnít bother me. Besides, can the Leica take long exposures of the night sky up to 8 minutes? If so, one of these days perhaps.....

Elijah wrote:
Leica M10 is where it's at guys




Oct 24, 2017 at 12:39 AM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #13 · p.140 #13 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Todd wrote:
can the Leica take long exposures of the night sky up to 8 minutes? If so, one of these days perhaps.....



Yes, it has a bulb mode.






  NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/1.4    1/2s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Oct 24, 2017 at 12:55 AM
charles.K
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #14 · p.140 #14 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


Elijah wrote:
Leica M10 is where it's at guys


It is an awesome camera! Enjoy



Oct 24, 2017 at 02:38 AM
Elijah
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #15 · p.140 #15 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


charles.K wrote:
It is an awesome camera! Enjoy


Yes sir, indeed.

If it's one thing I learned is not to mix professional work with M10.
They're all beasts in their own way. And there's no Leica lens that will replace 105E, that's for sure.





  NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/1.4    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  




Oct 24, 2017 at 02:56 AM
Dj R
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.140 #16 · p.140 #16 · Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread


yesterday in Newtown Square, PA
shot 8 families in a toll brothers neighborhood, 2-3 year old homes
just walked around with each family
some had kids, some had dogs, some had humping reindeer on their sweaters.

long day!!!!!!!!!!

a couple here
the first one, was closest to dusk,
the second one was at 320pm
both avail light





  NIKON D850    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/1.6    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON D850    105.0 mm f/1.4 lens    105mm    f/1.4    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  




Oct 24, 2017 at 03:23 AM
1       2       3              139      
140
       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              139      
140
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password