Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

I shoot more live music than weddings (but have two coming up), but figure this forum might have the best advice/experience for this question.

I'm looking for two things: 1) a good single sling strap that I can change bodies quickly and 2) a good double harness that won't let the bodies bounce around too much and can keep tight to me when in tight quarters. A typical setup is a 24-70/2.8 VR on a D750 and 70-200/2.8 II on a D500.

I'm currently looking at Black Rapid and Peak Design. I just bought a PD SL-2, but have an email to the company because it appears the strap was manufactured incorrectly. The "grips" are on the outside of the strap - meaning the are on the same side as the buckles which makes no sense. I tried flipping it, but the buckles/adjusters are painfully cutting into me.

Black Rapid - I'm a little concerned about the only connection points are to the tripod mount. It seems OK with a 70-200 tripod mount, but I question the integrity when used with a 24-70 VR. Is the tripod mount on the body really made to handle that much force?

Peak Design - Same concerns with a 24-70 VR, connected to the camera strap link and tripod mount. With a 70-200, I connect to tripod mount and camera strap link. That seems a little more secure than just the lens' tripod mount.

What are people using for this type of use? Is the strength of the camera body tripod mount a concern?

Thanks

Aug 01, 2016 at 04:05 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

I use a single strap BR and a messenger camera bag to carry my two cameras, two lenses, two flash units & other bit n bobs like spare batteries.

I know a lot of guys n gals on here like their Holdfast straps.

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:55 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

I still prefer my single RS-7 BRs. I think its called the Sport now. Tried the dual, but went back to singles. Never had a problem with connectors on either. Of course, I'm also conscience to check it very regularly... so much, that I often tighten it so much I have a hard time getting them off. lol As for larger lenses, it hasn't been a problem. I do use the barrel mount on my 70-200, though.

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:32 PM
weddingsnapper

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

I've just started using the Black Rapid double harness and find it really good. It's definitely worth periodically checking the attachments though - better safe than sorry!!!

Aug 02, 2016 at 07:29 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

Personally, I wouldn't want my 70-200 hanging off the tripod mount especially on a consumer body like the D500.

Aug 02, 2016 at 07:44 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

still using a police rigging belt, belt keeper, and carabiner with a keyring on the camera.
Gets weight off the shoulders and costs like 5$ if you have a sturdy belt already.
You can do one on each side if necessary.

Aug 02, 2016 at 08:44 AM
abadass
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

i use the Holdfast Moneymaker Ver. 1, before the quick release hooks. Pricey but worth it, comfortable and I get compliments all the time. Iʻve never had an issue with the mounts becoming loose (one user reported) but I do sometimes check to see if theyʻre tight. As long as youʻre not twirling like a ballerina, they wonʻt swing out. When squeezing through narrow spaces, I either hold them both up or push one body forward and other behind. Iʻve never mounted a heavy lens like a 70-200 while attached to the camera body mount (donʻt own one) but my 5D III and primes have no problems.

Aug 02, 2016 at 03:53 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

abadass wrote:
i use the Holdfast Moneymaker Ver. 1, before the quick release hooks. Pricey but worth it, comfortable and I get compliments all the time. Iʻve never had an issue with the mounts becoming loose (one user reported) but I do sometimes check to see if theyʻre tight. As long as youʻre not twirling like a ballerina, they wonʻt swing out. When squeezing through narrow spaces, I either hold them both up or push one body forward and other behind. Iʻve never mounted a heavy lens like a 70-200 while attached to the camera body mount (donʻt own one) but my
...Show more

+1 on the Moneymaker, though it is pretty cumbersome to walk around if you have a speedlight mounted on either camera. Indestructible, safe, and secure when used properly.

Aug 02, 2016 at 04:35 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

abadass wrote:
i use the Holdfast Moneymaker Ver. 1, ... Iʻve never mounted a heavy lens like a 70-200 while attached to the camera body mount (donʻt own one) but my 5D III and primes have no problems.

Wouldn't a 70-200 or any lens that comes with a tripod mount, be attached to the lens' tripod mount instead of the camera's?

Aug 02, 2016 at 05:45 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

la puffin wrote:
Wouldn't a 70-200 or any lens that comes with a tripod mount, be attached to the lens' tripod mount instead of the camera's?

Then you'd have to commit to one of your bodies always having a 70-200 on it, which would get pretty tiring after a while, or move the mount point every time you switch back and forth....which would also suck.

Aug 02, 2016 at 06:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

la puffin wrote:

I think a few in this thread are confusing the terms. A "tripod" mount usually refers to the mount on the camera BODY. A "barrel" mount (old school terminology) usually refers to the tripod mount on a long lens. It's currently referred to as a "tripod ring". These aren't actually technical terms, but many use these terms when distinguishing the differences. That's not happening here, from what I can see; and it's why some posts are a bit confusing.

Now, if you read my previous post, you'll see what I mean.

I've mounted 70-200's at the ring to my straps for years. It's never been a problem. I actually carry my rig by that ring... strap or not.

Aug 03, 2016 at 01:30 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

amonline wrote:
I think a few in this thread are confusing the terms. A "tripod" mount usually refers to the mount on the camera BODY. A "barrel" mount (old school terminology) usually refers to the tripod mount on a long lens. It's currently referred to as a "tripod ring". These aren't actually technical terms, but many use these terms when distinguishing the differences. That's not happening here, from what I can see; and it's why some posts are a bit confusing.

Now, if you read my previous post, you'll see what I mean.

I've mounted 70-200's at the ring to my straps for years.
...Show more

Thanks. I was using the term interchangeably. I feel a little better about the thread mounts on tripod mounts and tripod rings.

Thanks also for the Holdfast recomendations. I've never heard of them but they make a lot of nice gear.

Aug 03, 2016 at 02:39 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

la puffin wrote:
Thanks. I was using the term interchangeably. I feel a little better about the thread mounts on tripod mounts and tripod rings.

Thanks also for the Holdfast recomendations. I've never heard of them but they make a lot of nice gear.

It isn't just a matter of the threads for the 1/4-20 tripod mount (on the lens collar or base of the body), but also for the way that the weight is positioned and stress on the camera's lens mount. If the lens weighs more than the body and has a tripod collar, it is generally better to hook to the lens.

With the Holdfast Money Maker, or any other strap system, I recommend using the secondary connectors at all times as well. These hook between the strap slider and side ring on the camera (where the conventional strap connects). There are plenty of people out there who just take these off because they add a step to the process of connecting the camera or they don't like the look--but that is kind of the point. People have complained about having cameras drop from any strap system, either from user error connecting the camera, getting the release hooked on something, or some other failure. Having that secondary strap will save your gear from hitting the pavement.

Aug 03, 2016 at 09:20 AM
abadass
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

la puffin wrote:

you are correct but I was referring to OPʻs situation

Aug 04, 2016 at 02:55 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

BSPhotog wrote:
+1 on the Moneymaker, though it is pretty cumbersome to walk around if you have a speedlight mounted on either camera. Indestructible, safe, and secure when used properly.

haha its a little bit of a hassle with speed lights, especially when Iʻm 5ʻ5" and I need to get down low. I always have to put one body on my knee or hold it.

Aug 04, 2016 at 02:57 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

I used the moneymaker for a while, but found I sometimes snagged my shirt fabric with the sliders, which was annoying and the big clip doesn't work well in portrait mode with gripped bodies or the big pro bodies. I've been trying out the Spider Pro lately and shot my first full-day wedding with it yesterday. Worked a treat, although I decided to forego the 'Rambo' style black webbing stuff and mounted both clips directly to a very sturdy leather belt. I also disabled the latch on the safety clip, so that I can't accidentally leave the safety open and drop a body/lens as others have done. Maybe not for everyone's build, but worked really well for me, even with speedlites on both bodies. I bought an extra Spider pin which resides on my 70-200, so I hang everything by the lens when it's in use.

Aug 06, 2016 at 03:46 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Single Sling & Double Strap Harness?

I went with the SpiderPro + my own belt, too.

The only thing I don't like about it is that is does pull your pants down a bit, but it depends on the pants (jeans sag less) and the weight of the camera setup.

Next year I might go with the TT utility belt or whatever it's called in combination with the SpiderPro

Aug 06, 2016 at 04:03 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.