New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

HS-LD
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

The Canon lens instant rebates ended last night in the US, and I was wondering if anyone could guess as to when Canon will be running another sale?

Is it typically like 2-3 times a year and I need to wait until maybe October, or has it been an ongoing thing and another sale will probably be announced by Wednesday?

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:27 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

Canon has had a virtually continuous sale going for the past two or three years. Expect another in a week or two.

Canon Price Watch is one good place to get info about any upcoming sales.

Here is what the site currently says.

"There is currently no sale, but if a sale starts within the next 14 days you can get a price adjustment. Based on the sale history and current inventory, we think a “back to school” refurbished sale is likely coming very soon!"

So, don't be afraid to ask for a price adjustment if you buy now and a sale starts in 2 weeks.

Aug 02, 2016 at 07:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

Then when there is a refurb sale many items are suddenly out of stoick.

EBH

Aug 02, 2016 at 08:43 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

I have to admit I've had good luck with refurb sales. You have to put a little effort into it though. I get the price watch notifications and I check a couple times daily if it's something I really want.

Aug 03, 2016 at 08:14 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

Instead of waiting for the lens rebates, either use the Canonpricewatch street price program or submit a bid through Greentoe for an item you want.

I went through greentoe for a new Sigma 150-600 and I paid new for about what the used ones are going for here. Saved almost a couple hundred bucks on my transaction.

Aug 03, 2016 at 08:47 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

scalesusa wrote:
Canon has had a virtually continuous sale going for the past two or three years.

Do we really wonder why this happened after 2012/2013....

Aug 03, 2016 at 09:26 AM
HS-LD
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

retrofocus wrote:
Do we really wonder why this happened after 2012/2013....

I think it has more to do with currency than anything else.

Yes, Sony has a lot of people trying their gear and then coming back to Canon, and Nikon looks better in spec sheets...

I tried to buy into Nikon this time, but the build quality of the D500 just wasn't there. It felt like a 70D. (Which isn't bad if your charging $1k not 2K for the body.) Add to that most everything is now made in Thailand or China and you start to realize just how much trouble Nikon is in. They are cutting corners to cut costs and the quality is suffering. Not one recent Nikon launch has been without serious issues.

On the other hand, every time Canon updates something recently they make it better stronger, more weather-sealed. (And more expensive, but that's OK if the product is better.)

The 35 F1.4 L and 7D II teardown at lensrentals is eye opening.

There's more to a camera system than a stop more dynamic range.

Aug 03, 2016 at 11:41 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

I'm amazed with this term build quality. I've been photographing since the 70's using just about every manufactures cameras...lost count of the actual number of cameras and have yet had one fall apart on me due to build quality.

This sort of was the same phenomena comparing the big made in America cars against the small imports...build quality...but look where we are now.

I guess if it ain't big and heavy and bulky it's going to disintegrate.

Aug 03, 2016 at 11:47 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

I see a lot of big vehicles on the road today. Doesn't seem to have hurt their sales much.

I drove Dodge Pickups for years. Got rear ended 3 times with basically scratches on my bumper but the 3 cars had to be towed away. There is something to be said for having a bigger, heavier, bulkier vehicle. Just saying.

I trust my 1D body to be far more resilient to abuse then any Sony toy.

Aug 03, 2016 at 12:27 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

HS-LD wrote:
[
Yes, Sony has a lot of people trying their gear and then coming back to Canon, and Nikon looks better in spec sheets...

This is not what I am seeing - I know at least 7 people who switched from Canon and two who switched from Nikon to Sony. None of them went back.

Aug 03, 2016 at 12:43 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

ggreene wrote:
I see a lot of big vehicles on the road today. Doesn't seem to have hurt their sales much.

I drove Dodge Pickups for years. Got rear ended 3 times with basically scratches on my bumper but the 3 cars had to be towed away. There is something to be said for having a bigger, heavier, bulkier vehicle. Just saying.

I trust my 1D body to be far more resilient to abuse then any Sony toy.

You found those trucks all for sale filling lots at car dealerships when the oil and gas price was high around 2008. Poor fuel economy. Now with much lower gas prices they all came back (here I agree, you see a lot of them on the road these days unfortunately).

I would never drive any of those.

Guess we have a very different preference/style in photography and in driving preference as well.

Aug 03, 2016 at 12:56 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

Gas prices never impacted how many pickups or larger vehicles were on the road. Not in New England at least. Can't speak for other parts of the country.

Seven people you know switching is probably countered by numerous others seeing the reverse. If the switching had any statistical relevance Sony would be pressing Canikon for marketshare which they aren't. They are barely holding onto 3rd.

Aug 03, 2016 at 02:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

ggreene wrote:
Gas prices never impacted how many pickups or larger vehicles were on the road. Not in New England at least. Can't speak for other parts of the country.

Seven people you know switching is probably countered by numerous others seeing the reverse. If the switching had any statistical relevance Sony would be pressing Canikon for marketshare which they aren't. They are barely holding onto 3rd.

I had a good laughter after reading this one !

Aug 03, 2016 at 07:11 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

ggreene wrote:
I have to admit I've had good luck with refurb sales. You have to put a little effort into it though. I get the price watch notifications and I check a couple times daily if it's something I really want.

Next time there is a 600 II available refurb during one of the 15% off sales, I'm gonna buy it and have it shipped to your tax-free address in NH, Gregory! I'll drive up to come get it .

Aug 03, 2016 at 07:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

retrofocus wrote:
You found those trucks all for sale filling lots at car dealerships when the oil and gas price was high around 2008. Poor fuel economy. Now with much lower gas prices they all came back (here I agree, you see a lot of them on the road these days unfortunately).

I would never drive any of those.

Guess we have a very different preference/style in photography and in driving preference as well.

I don't drive in the SUV every day, but sometimes ground clearance is everything. Obviously it depends on photo subjects.

EBH

Aug 03, 2016 at 07:55 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

chez wrote:
I'm amazed with this term build quality. I've been photographing since the 70's using just about every manufactures cameras...lost count of the actual number of cameras and have yet had one fall apart on me due to build quality.

This sort of was the same phenomena comparing the big made in America cars against the small imports...build quality...but look where we are now.

I guess if it ain't big and heavy and bulky it's going to disintegrate.

I largely agree in principle .... but having owned both early Honda products as well as a sad period of time with a Hyundai Pony ..... I'm gonna just go ahead and say there have been times when small imports build quality SUCKED. Really SUCKED

To their credit, the Asian manufacturers quickly learned the craft and through their superior products dragged the American manufacturers kicking and screaming into the modern automotive age

Aug 03, 2016 at 11:21 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

10% sale on now...

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:52 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Sale Frequency in US

$1583 for a 100-400mk2. That is a great price/performance ratio.

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:58 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.