New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · airport carry on restrictions

geothomas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · airport carry on restrictions

Put the camera's around your neck. Then when you get on the plane, put them in the bag and put it up in the compartment.

Aug 05, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · airport carry on restrictions

geothomas wrote:
Put the camera's around your neck. Then when you get on the plane, put them in the bag and put it up in the compartment.

+1. I put my 7D and my 100-400 on my shoulder. Definitely lightened my bag considerably!

Aug 05, 2016 at 05:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · airport carry on restrictions

chez wrote:
31 ounces. It's called the Zuiko 40-150 2.8 lens.

Now you know that's not the same thing.

EBH

Aug 05, 2016 at 07:35 PM
Fern Trujillo

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · airport carry on restrictions

susieknudsen wrote:
I travelled home from San Francisco with 14 kg carry on. The bag was within the size for carry on only the weight was about twice the limit. I just said it was ok to check it in, if the airline would cover the cost in case of damage/loss, after they were told the cost of the content they let me carry it on. :-)

I just flew Emirates to and back from Africa, mine was actually a bit heavier and after informing the check in person of the value of the bag I was allowed to carry it on...

Aug 06, 2016 at 01:21 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · airport carry on restrictions

I fly about two dozen times a year and allways bring my camera gear (minus tripod) in my carry-on; in my experience, SIZE matters.
Only size. Not weight.

As long as your carry-on looks decently small they do not weigh it. I have yet to have someone check the weight of my really heavy backpack.

If you decide to carry gear in a suitcase, wrap it in something waterproof. My tripod and strobe umbrella still smell like zambuca from a broken bottle on my last trip

Aug 11, 2016 at 09:37 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · airport carry on restrictions

Try wearing a camera or two thru checking when you get to your seat bag them for the flight. IIRC wearable items do not count as carry on.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:04 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · airport carry on restrictions

Paul Mo wrote:
The 7.5kg limit is brutal.

In an effort to combat obesity I vote for a combined flying weight of 150kgs.

Thats a big can of worms right there. I don't disagree though, and on occasion i have been somewhat unhappy at check-in when i've been told to reorganise my bags because one was 1-2Kg over the limit, and behind me there's a guy who clearly weighs 30Kg+ more than me. But rules are rules...

I agree about the size vs weight argument. I have walked on to a plane with more than 20Kg in my hand baggage in the past, but last year i got told by my least favourite airline (lufthansa) to check my backpack cos it was too big. The fact that it was half full and squashed down didn't interest them, nor did the weight.

Aug 12, 2016 at 04:00 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · airport carry on restrictions

In order to comply with the weight restrictions, I wear a vest and load it up before the check in gate, they do and have asked me to place my carry-on on the scales. I keep the vest loaded and go through security, it does get inspected but of course they want to see the contents of it and my Kiboko. I have even had the vest and backpack chemical swiped, it was clean of course.

Just in case I get gate checked, the backpack does not get loaded from the vest until I am on the plane and at my seat. It then fits in the overhead bin for the flight. BTW, for weight it is over 40lbs./19 kgs.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:58 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · airport carry on restrictions

In the past and more than once I have been on airlines that list very restrictive weight carry on (0verseas). One way they gave me a hard time-- the other direction did not even weigh or seem to care. I think it is dependent on the agent.

Aug 15, 2016 at 04:25 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · airport carry on restrictions

JBPhotog wrote:
It then fits in the overhead bin for the flight. BTW, for weight it is over 40lbs./19 kgs.

Remind me not to sit next to you on a potentially turbulent flight.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:53 AM
JoshmkII

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · airport carry on restrictions

Just flew from Reno to Maun Botswana, and back again from Johannesburg. Both of my carry-on bags were too large, both is size and weight. A friend's carry on bag was near to 50 pounds and also a bit large. I was only asked 2x about mine and said "camera gear", and was sent on my way. Flying Delta, JetBlue, American, Qatar Air and South Africa Airline..

Sep 25, 2016 at 05:45 PM
JoshmkII

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · airport carry on restrictions

"Try wearing a camera or two thru checking when you get to your seat bag them for the flight. IIRC wearable items do not count as carry on."

Though some airlines will consider each camera an individual carry on, so
.... big pockets..

Sep 25, 2016 at 05:47 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · airport carry on restrictions

bobmcg wrote:
What bag/case do you check it in to avoid damage? I've seen how baggage handlers treat suitcases -- it's not pretty.

Check out Eagle Creek's luggage. The best in the business, although not "photography" specific. They cover ALL damage, FOREVER. this is the one i just bought. They aren't cheap, but cheaper in price than the garbage they sell at nordstroms or macs, etc

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · airport carry on restrictions

Find out what the checked baggage limit is, what the carry-on limit is, and whether or not there is an "on person" limit.

I balance the weight between these three elements. I wear a photographer's vest on the plane and load it up with the heavier items I'm not willing to check. I carry on a photo backpack for the overhead. I pack my tripod and other hardware in checked baggage packed in my carry on.

Just have to plan, cull, and balance.

Oct 01, 2016 at 01:20 AM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · airport carry on restrictions

Dustin Gent wrote:
Check out Eagle Creek's luggage. The best in the business, although not "photography" specific. They cover ALL damage, FOREVER. this is the one i just bought. They aren't cheap, but cheaper in price than the garbage they sell at nordstroms or macs, etc

No kidding. I have an Eagle Creek bag that I use for every day carrying stuff to work (it's sort of a messenger bag). I bought it when in college in the early 1990's. I've sent it in for broken closure clips twice and they never balked a bit.

I've been using that bag daily for 30 years. Cannot beat that.

Oct 01, 2016 at 01:25 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · airport carry on restrictions

Eric Larsen wrote:
Find out what the checked baggage limit is, what the carry-on limit is, and whether or not there is an "on person" limit.

I balance the weight between these three elements. I wear a photographer's vest on the plane and load it up with the heavier items I'm not willing to check. I carry on a photo backpack for the overhead. I pack my tripod and other hardware in checked baggage packed in my carry on.

Just have to plan, cull, and balance.

Hard to find such accurate information at times - on-person limit? What's that?

Plus, you often encounter employees (at the airport under duress) with a very questionable knowledge of the rules.

Oct 01, 2016 at 03:45 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · airport carry on restrictions

Paul Mo wrote:
Hard to find such accurate information at times - on-person limit? What's that?

Plus, you often encounter employees (at the airport under duress) with a very questionable knowledge of the rules.

Bottom line you need a plan if you cannot get all your equipment into the cabin and need to gate check. You can argue with the employees, but if your flight is leaving in half an hour it might be smart planning to have alternatives.

Also you need to be aware of the restrictions at all the airports and the different airlines as you can get hung up half way through your travels. Not sure how some of the SE Asian airports / airlines deal with vests loaded with camera gear...might be wise to understand this prior to your travel.

Oct 01, 2016 at 09:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · airport carry on restrictions

chez wrote:
Bottom line you need a plan if you cannot get all your equipment into the cabin and need to gate check. You can argue with the employees, but if your flight is leaving in half an hour it might be smart planning to have alternatives.

+1

If you don't do what they say, you don't get on the plane.

Oct 01, 2016 at 10:33 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · airport carry on restrictions

+1

If you don't do what they say, you don't get on the plane.

Yes, and I'm prepared to make alternate arrangements in a home country. Abroad, it's not so optional.

EBH

Oct 01, 2016 at 11:31 AM
JoshmkII

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · airport carry on restrictions

I just wore a photo vest and cargo pants, tons of pockets. If one of my bags proved a problem I could transfer lenses, bodies and more into my clothing.

Oct 01, 2016 at 05:13 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.