New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · South Africa

mbarretts20

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · South Africa

I will be reviewing old threads, and I've posted a question under Canon gear, but I'll be going to SA (Cape Town or Port/Point Elizabeth) 3rd week in January for work (from the NE US).

I'll have 3-4 days to myself before work starts, and then a single day in the middle of work to myself. I am thinking a cage dive for that single day, but looking for advice about how to spend the 3-4 days. I will likely fly into Jo'burg, and then on to whichever city they send me.

Is it better to arrange something to Kruger, or go on to the coastal cities and find something more local to them? I am looking for wildlife and landscapes but I have no "must sees" (aside from cage dive). Also, any recommendations on where to rent a Canon 300 2.8 there? (or should I rent here and travel with it?)

I will be traveling alone, and open to rugged but safe travel style while porting a solid investment worth of camera gear. I'm a former Nat Geo field scientist, so fairly adventurous...I will be returning at some point with the wife in the next...ten years?

Parks, tours, cage dive operators, etc. are all appreciated.

Jul 30, 2016 at 02:10 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · South Africa

Contact Shem Compion at C4 Photo Safaris (http://www.c4photosafaris.com). Shem or his staff can help you with all the questions you pose, including rentals, lodging and transfers. I've traveled with Shem several times and can highly recommend him.

Jul 30, 2016 at 09:01 PM
mbarretts20

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · South Africa

Thank you for the link; this led me to Mashatu, which is one of the places I had been trying to find (but did not know the name).

I'd appreciate more options if people have them,
thanks

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:57 PM
mbarretts20

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · South Africa

Any input regarding mashatu v. Kruger?

Aug 02, 2016 at 07:26 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · South Africa

Flying back and forth will only waste time. I would choose according to where you are. If in Cape Town, then there is loads to visit in the region as far as landscapes go. Port Elizabeth itself isn't that great, but if you hire a car you can visit Addo Elephant Park and take a trip southwards along the coast to the Garden Route. There are also some newer game reserves near PE that you could consider.
In the summer the Kruger region is fairly green, which makes it easier for the game to hide. A dryer part of the country would probably make spotting easier.

Aug 22, 2016 at 04:06 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.