New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Live performance stages, backdrops and FX lens angles

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Live performance stages, backdrops and FX lens angles

A musician I've shot many times and I were having a conversation recently about how bands, like goldfish, tend to expand to fill their habitat - specifically whatever stage they're performing on - and the implications regarding backdrops and what the camera sees, etc.

This is the diagram I used to show him why so many shots catch whatever the misc is on either side of the backdrop and compared the smallest stage I've photographed them on to the largest. It didn't really matter to me but it seemed eye opening to him that they readily performed in a tiny space but then swelled to fill the larger stage, really thinking only of the orthographic projection or "dead square" view of the background.

Anyway, I thought some of you might find it a useful illustration for whatever purpose.

Jul 29, 2016 at 08:15 PM
samwillow
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Live performance stages, backdrops and FX lens angles

amazing!

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:43 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Live performance stages, backdrops and FX lens angles

Just out of curiosity, why pick 30 ft from the stage?

Most shows I go to I am at the edge of the stage/performance area (or barrier).

A lot of the time there would be several rows of people between me and the stage if I was shooting from 30 ft back.

At a festival/outdoor concert I would likely be a lot further back.
I guess at some gigs, I can be seated at a table around 30 ft away and shoot at least until the crowd builds up or start dancing.

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:48 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Live performance stages, backdrops and FX lens angles

If you were up closer, your wide angle shots would show even more crap than from further back, as compared to his illustrations.

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:27 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Live performance stages, backdrops and FX lens angles

TTLKurtis wrote:
If you were up closer, your wide angle shots would show even more crap than from further back, as compared to his illustrations.

Not arguing about that. I shoot mostly with a 17mm lens from near the corner of the stage (the best spot that I can get to and fit all the band members in shot) for wide angle. That way I am not shooting the backs of the crowd though.

For individual shots, the angle of view will be narrower for the most part though it may well be aimed wide of the background (to avoid a mic in the face shot) but that shouldn't matter as the background should mostly be blurred out a lot or dark anyway.

Aug 01, 2016 at 11:57 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.