FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pocket Wizard TT5 Help - Please

PIOK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pocket Wizard TT5 Help - Please

Question 1

* if I will have 2 of PocketWizard TT5
ONE on Camera ( NO FLASH ) and ONE wireless (TT5 with off camera Flash) Do I have E-TTL ? ( or this only work when I also have on camera flash ? )

Question 2

* If I will buy PocketWizard Plus IV Transceiver ( and use without on camera flash )
and than as Off camera flash - Flex TT5 with Flash on it ) do I will have E-TTL ?
or only manual ?

Jul 29, 2016 at 07:22 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pocket Wizard TT5 Help - Please

PIOK wrote:
Question 1

* if I will have 2 of PocketWizard TT5
ONE on Camera ( NO FLASH ) and ONE wireless (TT5 with off camera Flash) Do I have E-TTL ? ( or this only work when I also have on camera flash ? )

Question 2

* If I will buy PocketWizard Plus IV Transceiver ( and use without on camera flash )
and than as Off camera flash - Flex TT5 with Flash on it ) do I will have E-TTL ?
or only manual ?

Regarding question 1 - I assuming you are using a Canon camera. TTL is slightly different for each camera so you can't mix Nikon i-TTL with Canon E-TTL. They are not compatible. You don't need a flash on the camera, only the FlexTT5 for Canon and a FlexTT5 for Canon on the remote speedlight. You set the FlexTT5 on the camera to transmit and the FlexTT5 on the speedlight to receive, but the speedlight must also support Canon E-TTL. You can't use the FlexTT5's with a studio strobe or monolight and get E-TTL (there are some studio strobes that have built-in PW receivers, but can't do TTL).

Regarding question 2 - PocketWizard tries to make its products compatible, but I couldn't find anything that specifically says the Plus IV and FlexTT5 combination will provide E-TTL. I would use with 2 Plus IV or 2 FlexTT5's unless you find someone that has used a FlexTT5 and Plus IV successfully on E-TTL.

Jul 30, 2016 at 07:21 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pocket Wizard TT5 Help - Please

1. Yes, you will (provided the units and flashes are the correct version ie. canon)

2. The Plus IV only has TTL pass through and so you only get TTL when a flash is mounted on top of it

There were RF interference issues with the canon version which were only 'fix' with a sock over the flash. I'm not sure what the final result was but read up on it.

Personally, I found the PW system temperamental and idiosyncratic as well as very expensive. I ditched all of it (and my nikon flashes) for godox which are more capable flashes about 20% of the price.

Jul 31, 2016 at 08:28 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pocket Wizard TT5 Help - Please

It also depends on the body and how many remotes and how many groups and if you want diffent ratios between the groups.

Question one as state will support one channel of speedlites IIRC if you want more than one group so you can use or get ratios from each group will require a different setup. Ratios basically means different light out put from each group.

In order to be able to set ratios you'll need one of the three things in addition to the remote flashes each with their own tt5 radio. You'll need a body that will allow you to use the pop up flash in no output mode to adjust the ratios thru the menu system of the body. Or a external flash used also in master mode to adjust the ratios. Or finally a pocket wizard ac3 zone controller to adjust the light outputs of the three available groups.

Question two unless firmware upgrades in the past year have drastically change the plus will not do ttl it's just a radio that triggers the flash in manual mode if the flash is in auto mode you will constantly be getting a full power dump no pre flash to see how much light is need and the full power dump occurs on the preflash signal so the actual shot will be under exposed.

They use to be some very good tutorials on pocket wizards sight.

If you want ttl the you'll need either a minitt1 or a flex tt5 on the camera and like I said a body that will support menu ratio without a flash in the hot shoe, or a external flash on top of the I ttl radio to adjust the ratios, or the easiest way it the ac3 zone controller from pocket wizard it allows you to simply adjust power in either auto ttl mode or manual mode for each group individually group a could be ttl mode and group b off and group c in manual mode all at the same time or all groups in the same mode. Not sure if the other two options will give you this. I've been using them since they came out I have several tt5s and two tt1s plus a few plus II IIRC the later for manual only lights.

I know I gave you more info than you wanted but i wanted you to understand what can and can not be done and what equipment is require to do what.

Aug 03, 2016 at 03:49 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.