Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA in stock at B&H Photo!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA in stock at B&H Photo!

virtualrain wrote:
It's a tough lens to beat. It offers a fantastic image in a small and light package.

The 55 features something I love about my 85GM when shooting portraits. It's very sharp wide-open without too much micro-contrast which is very flattening for the face and out of focus rendition. It also quickly transitions to out of focus greatly isolating the subject. For other types of photography a small boost in contrast in post is all that's needed.

I already can tell from many samples I've seen that the new 50/1.4 is better corrected for LoCA and coma and has higher contrast wide-open. I'm very curious how it renders comparing it side-by-side to the 55 at f/1.8.

I agree that the 55/1.8 is plenty for most of us. What would create more interest is a native 135mm!

Aug 01, 2016 at 01:10 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA in stock at B&H Photo!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The 55 features something I love about my 85GM when shooting portraits. It's very sharp wide-open without too much micro-contrast which is very flattening for the face and out of focus rendition. It also quickly transitions to out of focus greatly isolating the subject. For other types of photography a small boost in contrast in post is all that's needed.

I already can tell from many samples I've seen that the new 50/1.4 is better corrected for LoCA and coma and has higher contrast wide-open. I'm very curious how it renders comparing it side-by-side to the 55 at f/1.8.

I agree
...Show more

Yep that's whar my GM dollars are destined for. I've resisted the GM 85 - it's tempting but Batis will do. But a native 2/135 would be great. My Canon is a nice lens, but native eye AF and the GM tricks to make it tack snap wide open would be so cool. I'd probably be tempted by a Loxia 3.5/135 or 4/180 for landscape as well...

Aug 01, 2016 at 03:05 AM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA in stock at B&H Photo!

I think Alpha 7 has enough giant lenses that a large body with integrated grip and high-capacity (30Wh) battery would be a brisk seller: in Canonspeak, the 1 Series of mirrorless. I find the OEM A7ii vertical grip (the none-too-cheap VG-C2EM) to greatly improve handling, but two puny FW50 batteries is not enough and nothing beats the rigidity of unibody construction. For some of us, the notion of rangefinder-sized MILC is long-dead...not that I'm complaining. I would be willing to expand into native FE lenses of this size with a suitable body. Otherwise, I feel that the Nikon DSLR lineup has superior handling, and a Sigma 50 Art sates any hunger for fast 50.

Aug 01, 2016 at 04:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.