Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

Another day in the books.

C&C!

Cheers,

Jeff

Flippin' Powerful

Too Cute To Eat

Mass Exodus

For Ben - does landscapes pretty well!

Jul 28, 2016 at 06:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

Man what a collection.

1. The first, what on earth? Looks like a second tail fin below the larger one. No matter, it's a powerful action shot.

2. You are correct, very cute and very sharp. It appears to be at the bottom of a swell.

3. As Red Skelton used to say, "a flock of then went over that time" Again the oof is not oof enough.

4. Very nice, I like the cloud cap on the distant mountains. And yet one more 100-400 landscape.

Overall 1 and 2 top the set.

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:19 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

I absolutely love the first image. It does seem to have a very slight CCW tilt but other than that I think it is perfect. Well done!

Jul 29, 2016 at 06:01 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

ben egbert wrote:
Man what a collection.

1. The first, what on earth? Looks like a second tail fin below the larger one. No matter, it's a powerful action shot.

2. You are correct, very cute and very sharp. It appears to be at the bottom of a swell.

3. As Red Skelton used to say, "a flock of then went over that time" Again the oof is not oof enough.

4. Very nice, I like the cloud cap on the distant mountains. And yet one more 100-400 landscape.

Overall 1 and 2 top the set.

1. Breaching great whites in False Bay! This was a female coming out of water for us - it was awesome.

3. I'm okay with the confusion as that's how it was in person. What stood out to me was the weird 3D effect that some birds had against the others.

4. I have some sunrise/sunset 100-400 landscapes as well so stay tuned!

Thanks for your feedback and comments, Ben!

---------------------------------------------

rgoosney wrote:
I absolutely love the first image. It does seem to have a very slight CCW tilt but other than that I think it is perfect. Well done!

Thanks! I could swear that this stood out to me when I was processing the shot, but the horizon matched up at the time. However I am seeing the same tilt that you are. I will take a look at that when I get home - thanks!

If you're interested in MUCH BETTER breach photos you need to Google Chris Fallows. He is the truth when it comes to these images!!

Jeff

Jul 29, 2016 at 06:24 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

The first photo is amazing! I can feel the splash and spray!
Steve

Jul 29, 2016 at 08:44 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

eeneryma wrote:
The first photo is amazing! I can feel the splash and spray!
Steve

Thanks Steve! I implore you to look up Chris's work.

It's beyond words.

Jeff

Jul 29, 2016 at 08:50 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

Holy crap! You nailed a breach! What a sight that must have been to see in real life. No eyeballs but to even capture a brief moment like this is no small feat I imagine. Nice job Jeff!

#2 is cute and very well captured. The one this that would put it over the top would be if there were a big dorsal fin in the BG.
Yeah, I'm a sick bastard.

#3 Dang, now that's just a "few" birds there. Hope you had an umbrella.

#4 I can't believe you are getting shots like this in a moving boat with long glass. That is a very cool shot. I might warm that one up just a little to see how it looks. What city is that? They better hope there is never an avalanche, they have no place to run.

Very nice set Jeff! But the breach is... well... you know.

Dave

Jul 29, 2016 at 01:14 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

lighthound wrote:
Holy crap! You nailed a breach! What a sight that must have been to see in real life. No eyeballs but to even capture a brief moment like this is no small feat I imagine. Nice job Jeff!

#2 is cute and very well captured. The one this that would put it over the top would be if there were a big dorsal fin in the BG.
Yeah, I'm a sick bastard.

#3 Dang, now that's just a "few" birds there. Hope you had an umbrella.

#4 I can't believe you are getting shots like this in a moving boat with
...Show more

Thanks for the comments/feedback, good sir! Broken record and all that, but CHRIS FALLOWS. Sick sick work.

The thing about the sharks is that they almost always attack from the bottom. They see the black spots above them, gain ridiculous amounts of speed and try to hit them unaware. This sometimes propels them out of the water causing the amazing breaches that have been captured/seen. Another cool thing is that sometimes the seals get a little "head's up" that a shark is about to attack because they can "feel" the change in the water a microsecond before it actually happens. One quick move may up saving their life.

Thankfully the cormorants would always go around the boat and never over it! The gulls would hover, but thankfully never dropped any bombs on us. One bird would enjoy "catching up" the boat while a crew member would hold out a piece of fish for it. It would take the fish from hand, eat and sometimes circle back for more. A woman up on top deck had an apple core when it came back, and... see below ha.

It does look a tad cool, at least on the work monitor. I'll look when I get home. It *might* be Table Mountain and Cape Town, but my brain is a bit mush so I'll have to double check for ya.

Jeff

Jul 29, 2016 at 01:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

I am drooling with jealousy.
But not sure what is getting me more.
The location?
The great images?
The rig?
Wonderful light, freeze-frame action in the first. Nothing but praise from me.

Scott

Jul 31, 2016 at 09:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sharks, Seals and Birds Oh My!

sbeme wrote:
I am drooling with jealousy.
But not sure what is getting me more.
The location?
The great images?
The rig?
Wonderful light, freeze-frame action in the first. Nothing but praise from me.

Scott

I'm sorry, Scott. I know that you've got the fever for a return trip to Africa and these posts are NOT helping! I think we both know what needs to happen.

I think location gets you 90% of the way there. My wife used a P&S Canon and came away with a slew of gorgeous shots. I even picked it up a few times to capture some quick shots and I was impressed with the results. One of the crew members took a cell shot of the sunrise and came away with a really nice shot. As much as I'd love to rationalize the new toys it has to be more about location and luck up until a certain point.

Thanks again for the kind words and the feedback!

I've got one more post from this area and then we move on to a spot to where I really should have adjusted (as much as I could) to enable max reach, but figured I could make up reach with cropping. That did not always work out in my favor unfortunately!

Cheers,

Jeff

Aug 01, 2016 at 08:20 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.