Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for n...

myboostedgst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

My home was broken into yesterday. They grabbed my brand new D750 off my desk with my used 24-70 attached to it. Luckily they missed the BRAND NEW 70-20 VR II and my used 300mm F2.8. Homeowners insurance will cover the body no problem as I have a receipt for it, but I traded a Canon 6D for the lens. Has anybody had experience with insurance and used equipment without a receipt? I am still waiting on the adjuster to come so I can't ask yet.

But onto my actual question. I bought a new D750 @ $2,000 because refurb a weren't available. Now they are, so when I am reimbursed from my insurance I can buy a refurb instead. However, with Photokina coming soon, should I hold off a month or two? Not necessarily to buy a new announced body, but to see if it drops the price of the current bodies? Thoughts?

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:25 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

If insurance is covering it, I would replace it with another new D750.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:39 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

How much will the price drop, a couple hundred bucks? Probably not enough to worry about. I do think buying refurbished makes sense overall for bodies.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM
marksdca

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

If you have a serial number for the lens, you should have no problem with the insurance company, but that also depends upon your insurance company. Twice I have been involved with insurance claims, once for me, and once for my son. Receipts were not an issue, but serial numbers helped. With State Farm, they looked at what it took to replace what we had, ended up with better deal with the new items. You could also ask the person with whom you traded the body for a receipt. Always if you can, make sure you have replacement value for your insured items.

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:14 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

If you have the original box that the lens came in, there should be a sticker on the outside of the box with the serial number on it. Same for the camera box. I had a large theft of gear about seven years ago and the insurance agent that was assigned asked me to photograph all the boxes as part of the evidence of ownership for the claim.
Also, contact Nikon with the serial numbers and ask them to flag them in their system in case they come in for service. They did that for me at the time and said they would contact the police if they received any of them. Not sure if they still do that.

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:32 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

I have the serial numbers for both the body and the lens, along with the boxes for both. My only concern is not having the receipt. It is Allstate, so a large company. That can be good or bad I would think.

I am all for a refurbished model, especially bodies. I also forgot that I had two SD cards still in the camera. Serial numbers will be called into the Police in a few mins and then I will also call the couple large Pawn Shops in the area.

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:44 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

wait and see if Nikon intros a D760 in Sept.

Allstate and State Farm are both very bad - your state may keep track of ratings/complaints for ins. co.s - here USAA is best (if you qualify), and Amica is 2nd best

do you have replacement coverage or not?

Jul 28, 2016 at 02:03 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

I have full replacement coverage. My only concern, and confirmed while on the phone with the adjuster who is going to prepare the estimate, is that they aren't going to cover the cost of the 24-70 since I don't have a receipt. I have the box and the paperwork that comes with a lens that includes the serial number, so she told me to scan that and send it in with proof. There is no way to get the original owners receipt. Now I wish they would have just taken the brand new 70-200 VRII since I have the receipt for that.

Jul 28, 2016 at 06:40 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

ah, but you have EXIF data show that lens was used, right?

also contact Nikon to see if they have any info from your registration

2nd to last - file a complaint with your state's ins. commisioner
as a last resort take them to small claims court

Edited on Jul 29, 2016 at 12:03 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:04 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

Yes, I have photos of the lens in my hands, and photos taken with the lens of my house and my cars registered to me. It would be very easy to prove I owned the lens. But that might not matter to them.

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

I would wait for Photokina. I always buy used cameras/lenses--my money goes further. Sure, insurance pays for it, but still it's money that could be used on something else. As for me, I have a $1,000 deductible, so I still would be budget minded.

Kent in SD

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:29 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

refurb may not have a long warranty.
consider used, with a copy of the original receipt.
then you're buying low. if you want to get a newer model next year, you can take a smaller loss, when you go to flip it.

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:41 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

myboostedgst wrote:
My home was broken into yesterday. They grabbed my brand new D750 off my desk with my used 24-70 attached to it. Luckily they missed the BRAND NEW 70-20 VR II and my used 300mm F2.8. Homeowners insurance will cover the body no problem as I have a receipt for it, but I traded a Canon 6D for the lens. Has anybody had experience with insurance and used equipment without a receipt? I am still waiting on the adjuster to come so I can't ask yet.

But onto my actual question. I bought a new D750 @ $2,000 because refurb a
...Show more

Inland marine insurance from state farm is what you want. Take this opportunity to step up to a D500.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM
marksdca

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

rw11, why sue State Farm when he has Allstate Insurance Don't think that will go far.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:30 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

Well I will be getting about $2200 back in the next few days. Refurb D810's are only $2,499 direct from Nikon. Maybe I should just upgrade? I love the lightness of the D750, but I want to try the pro build of the D810.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My new D750 and 24-70 was stolen, replace with refurbished or wait for new body announcements?

morrismike wrote:
Inland marine insurance from state farm is what you want. Take this opportunity to step up to a D500.

And I'm sorry but I won't downgrade to a D500. While it might be a great body, I wouldn't use anything that makes it better than any of the full frame options.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.