Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

I was thinking about the Peak Design SL-2, but there was a comment that it might not be recommended for a lens this heavy. I was going to use it with a D500 and use the regular strap connectors as I've read that the tripod mount isn't really strong enough to be used as an attachment point.

Any recommendations for a comfortable sling strap be used with lenses in this weight range?

Thanks

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:39 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

The tripod mount is strong enough - very strong.

I use a Carry Speed model smaller the the Pro* - a Blackrapid knockoff. eBay only - not for sale in the U.S.

*CS Slim?

Attach any sling strap to the tripod ring of the 70-200 - not the camera body.

Jul 28, 2016 at 04:33 AM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738106-REG

Black Rapid sport! Worth every penny you past for it! Very comfortable holds true with strap under arm, holds fast to lens tripod mount

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:54 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

I have the OP/Tech sling strap adapter on my CPS strap and have the straps attached to the camera. I've walked around for the last several years with a 70-200 attached without issue.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

sqphotography wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738106-REG

Black Rapid sport! Worth every penny you past for it! Very comfortable holds true with strap under arm, holds fast to lens tripod mount

The previous poster mentions anchoring to the camera and tripod mount. With the Black Rapid, it only attaches at one point. Do you connect on the tripod mount of a large zoom or the body?

Reading the Q&A on BH's site, some mention connecting to the camera (i.e.. the wedding photog question) and another suggests always using the lens mount when available (the Tamron 150-600 question).

I'm a little confused. I'm back into shooting after a 8 year lay off, and trying to figure out a system to meet the different situations I shoot in (shooting with one body, sometimes two - shooting horse polo, music in small dives to medium size halls, weddings, and for walking around the city - sometimes like to take just the 70-200). The ability to do fast lens changes is also a factor, but maybe that's a different strap for those situations? I'm kind of leaning toward the Peak Design because of that.

Thanks again

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

When I use my black rapid sport strap it depends on the camera lens set-up where I attach the strap, when shooting a big heavy zoom like a 70-200 2.8 I like to attach at the lens tripod mount for balance and if using with a non-1D body it keep stress off of the camera mount. With many lenses there is no option and you have to attach to the camera. It takes a little experimenting to figure out the best balance or preference for each photographer.

Just my 2 cents...

la puffin wrote:
The previous poster mentions anchoring to the camera and tripod mount. With the Black Rapid, it only attaches at one point. Do you connect on the tripod mount of a large zoom or the body?

Reading the Q&A on BH's site, some mention connecting to the camera (i.e.. the wedding photog question) and another suggests always using the lens mount when available (the Tamron 150-600 question).

I'm a little confused. I'm back into shooting after a 8 year lay off, and trying to figure out a system to meet the different situations I shoot in (shooting with one body, sometimes two
...Show more

Jul 29, 2016 at 06:00 AM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

I would think with a D500 and a large lens you will have better balance attaching to the tripod mount

Jul 29, 2016 at 06:02 AM
Doug C
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sling strap for use with a 70-200/2.8?

mikeinctown wrote:
I have the OP/Tech sling strap adapter on my CPS strap and have the straps attached to the camera. I've walked around for the last several years with a 70-200 attached without issue.

+100

Op/Tech sling strap works great with their quick disconnect system. The disconnects stay permanently attached to the RRS lens plates on all my long glass, and I can still mount the lens plates on a ball head whenever the need arises. I think the Black Rapid screws into the lens plate, so it would have to be removed/re-attached after each use, or am I wrong? Either way, I've heard stories of the BR system having failures that let expensive equipment fall to the ground. The Op/Tech is super comfortable, cheaper than BR, and holds a lot of weight (7D2 body with Sigma 150-600C, by the lens foot). An extra selling point for me, was the Op/Tech sling has two quick connects on the strap. So, I put two matching quick connects on my lens plates, so whenever I'm going to use a lens, it is attached to the sling by two straps, so you basically have a built in backup.

Jul 30, 2016 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.