New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Headshot

Blake.Kinder
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Headshot

Did a headshot for a buddy of mine. Comments and Critiques welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Canon 6D
Canon 135L @F/2
1/1600sec ISO 100

XPLOR 600 inside a 60" PCB Octabox, single diffused with the inner bib.
Camera left, about 4 ft away, set off by R2 transmitter.

Headshot by blakefidp, on Flickr

Jul 27, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Headshot

Really great shot. Love the pose. My only nit pick would be that it feels like it needs a tad more room up top. It feels too compressed and I believe his hair needs some room to breathe. Not much, just so that it doesn't feel like there's an artificial ceiling there.

Jul 27, 2016 at 08:46 PM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Headshot

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Really great shot. Love the pose. My only nit pick would be that it feels like it needs a tad more room up top. It feels too compressed and I believe his hair needs some room to breathe. Not much, just so that it doesn't feel like there's an artificial ceiling there.

Thanks Jonathan. I will consider that in future shots. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and provide feedback!

-Blake

Jul 27, 2016 at 08:51 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Headshot

Nicely lit, especially for an outdoor portrait. The light is believable. My only suggestion might be for a tighter crop, removing the bright items behind him (a table?). I think it would be a stronger image without it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM
Daniel Moore
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Headshot

Great look! From your lighting and from the subject. Thanks for the details as well. Love subtle lighting.
Agree with Steve, the pull from the (picnic?) table is strong. Awesome capture, just the same.

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:19 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Headshot

The headroom and table were my nits too. Thanks to Jonathan and Steve for picking those up.

Still like the shot, though. Nice job.

Jul 28, 2016 at 03:36 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Headshot

I don't mind the tables. To me, it helps set the scene (outdoor picnic area). However, you may try de-emphasizing them by selectively lowering the brightness/luminance/whatever you want to call it, in the post processing program of your choice. Personally, they don't bother me at all, but I can absolutely see how others may have their attention pulled by them.

Jul 28, 2016 at 04:13 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Headshot

Hi Blake!
Yes a wonderful subject. I must agree with the constructive comments on head room. But I also did a download and played/ used the "Selective Tool > Fill" until the table was eliminated and the bg was smooth. Very easy..but I didn't really find that it distracted the main subject.
Dan

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:59 AM
cmillc22
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Headshot

i disagree about the headroom on a head shot, it is up to the artist. if it was such a taboo Peter Hurley would be out of a job instead of known for being the best head shot photographer out there. Does that mean all head shots should be cropped tight at the hair, of course not. nice light, nice color saturation, nice composition, congrats

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:24 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Headshot

good expression

my nit is the collar on his LH side - part of the compression is lack of his neck showing there

also, try some others with a lighter color shirt - yellow or gold tones often work really well with African-American skin (on women at least)

Jul 28, 2016 at 02:09 PM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Headshot

Steve Wylie wrote:
Nicely lit, especially for an outdoor portrait. The light is believable. My only suggestion might be for a tighter crop, removing the bright items behind him (a table?). I think it would be a stronger image without it.

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion Steve.

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:01 PM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Headshot

Daniel Moore wrote:
Great look! From your lighting and from the subject. Thanks for the details as well. Love subtle lighting.
Agree with Steve, the pull from the (picnic?) table is strong. Awesome capture, just the same.

Thanks Daniel for the comments and critique. Much appreciated.

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:01 PM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Headshot

Jim Rickards wrote:
The headroom and table were my nits too. Thanks to Jonathan and Steve for picking those up.

Still like the shot, though. Nice job.

Thanks Jim!

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:02 PM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Headshot

Danpbphoto wrote:
Hi Blake!
Yes a wonderful subject. I must agree with the constructive comments on head room. But I also did a download and played/ used the "Selective Tool > Fill" until the table was eliminated and the bg was smooth. Very easy..but I didn't really find that it distracted the main subject.
Dan

Thanks Dan! I'll have to check that out!

Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Headshot

cmillc22 wrote:
i disagree about the headroom on a head shot, it is up to the artist. if it was such a taboo Peter Hurley would be out of a job instead of known for being the best head shot photographer out there. Does that mean all head shots should be cropped tight at the hair, of course not. nice light, nice color saturation, nice composition, congrats

Thanks cmillc.

Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Headshot

rw11 wrote:
good expression

my nit is the collar on his LH side - part of the compression is lack of his neck showing there

also, try some others with a lighter color shirt - yellow or gold tones often work really well with African-American skin (on women at least)

Thanks for the advice rw11!

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:03 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Headshot

Blake.Kinder wrote:
Thanks for the advice rw11!

You could even consider dodging a bit on the dark side of his beard - there isn't tonal merger, though it may help break up some of the blocky nature of those dark tones butting up against one another.

That being said, it's a lovely portrait and would be a great professional headshot for your buddy. I agree with an earlier comment re breathing room on the top of his hair, though it's a minor detail in an otherwise nice portrait.

Thanks for sharing.

Aug 02, 2016 at 04:48 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Headshot

yes, if he needs a headshot that is a good start - or if displayed it needs a name -- maybe "Strength in Repose"

you could also use it as one of several in a subject study

Aug 02, 2016 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.