Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

My 11yo birder son has a SX50 HS as his camera - it is small and light and he can carry it and use it all day without fatigue. Recently however, my wife has also become interested in taking bird shots and borrows his camera every now and then. So, I am thinking of getting him an SX60 HS, the newer version of his camera, and letting my wife keep the SX50HS.

Anyone here have a SX60 HS? Comments would be welcome. Based on the specs, it is physically pretty similar to the SX50HS which is 3-4 years old now - little longer zoom, same EVF, but it has DIGIC 6 instead of the DIGIC 4 in SX50HS.

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

I haven't used the SX-series cameras, but I'm pretty sure that I'd give the new one to my wife. Just sayin.

Jul 27, 2016 at 01:23 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

If your family is happy with the SX50, go for the SX60. If your birder son is sticking with birding, try a SL1 with a used 400 5.6. That prime will blow away most P&S cameras. The SL1 is ok but recommend it because it small and light. The 400 is also small and light, for a telephoto lens anyway... Easy rig to carry all day and a good complement to a nice pair of binoculars. If in doubt, rent that rig from Lensrentals or join a Portland Audubon trip, I'm sure that someone there will have something similar.

Jul 27, 2016 at 02:01 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

jcolwell wrote:
I haven't used the SX-series cameras, but I'm pretty sure that I'd give the new one to my wife. Just sayin.

Haha... that would make sense! But she was the one who suggested that if my son were to upgrade, she would be happy with the SX50.
---------------------------------------------

jmckayak wrote:
If your family is happy with the SX50, go for the SX60. If your birder son is sticking with birding, try a SL1 with a used 400 5.6. That prime will blow away most P&S cameras. The SL1 is ok but recommend it because it small and light. The 400 is also small and light, for a telephoto lens anyway... Easy rig to carry all day and a good complement to a nice pair of binoculars. If in doubt, rent that rig from Lensrentals or join a Portland Audubon trip, I'm sure that someone there will have something similar.

I'll bring it up to him, although he would be loath to give up the long focal length. He is less interested in the photography than in the birding (wants to be an biologist when he grows up) and generally uses the long end (1200 mm equivalent) of his camera to take shots that he can later pull up on the computer to identify species. So, I suspect he would be not too amenable to stepping down to 400mm, IQ notwithstanding!

Jul 27, 2016 at 02:07 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

Scrumhalf wrote:
I'll bring it up to him, although he would be loath to give up the long focal length. He is less interested in the photography than in the birding (wants to be an biologist when he grows up) and generally uses the long end (1200 mm equivalent) of his camera to take shots that he can later pull up on the computer to identify species. So, I suspect he would be not too amenable to stepping down to 400mm, IQ notwithstanding!

I had an SX60 HS, and for your son's intended purpose, IMHO it will be great - low cost, light and compact, with decent IQ and reach. Video is nice too. Of course, it won't do BIFs, and the IQ of DSLRs + big whites is in another level comparatively, especially when one wants to print big.

But if DSLRs + big whites were to be universally banned tomorrow, I'll still be happily birding, with an SX60 HS.

Jul 27, 2016 at 04:59 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

The big plus for the SX50 (and the SX60) is that it is one of very few cameras in its class that has RAW capability. And with good light, it can produce very good photos. I've been quite surprised at the quality of the shots from it, assuming that there is enough light to keep the ISO down and the shutter speed sufficiently high.

Jul 27, 2016 at 05:06 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

A good beginning camera for your wife or son. Later he can upgrade to a DSLR which, with long telephotos for birding will cost a lot more. But it can still be a good, lightweight supplement to those bigger cameras where light weight is an important consideration.

Jul 27, 2016 at 05:29 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

I never got to use the SX50 HS or SX60 HS, but I owned and used extensively a SX40 HS and it was a great camera. I can only imagine the SX60 HS would be even better. As to photographing birds...I think the camera is more than capable of shooting birds ... as long as they're not flying away!

All these were taken with the SX40 HS a few years ago:

Jul 27, 2016 at 07:07 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

Great shots! TFS!

Jul 27, 2016 at 07:08 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

I went ahead and ordered a refurbished SX60 HS at the Canon refurb store. Cost $379, decent discount vs a list price of $479 new.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the decision!

Jul 28, 2016 at 03:27 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

Max_Pain wrote:
I never got to use the SX50 HS or SX60 HS, but I owned and used extensively a SX40 HS and it was a great camera. I can only imagine the SX60 HS would be even better. As to photographing birds...I think the camera is more than capable of shooting birds ... as long as they're not flying away!
________

The closer they are the better they look. If you didn't say so, many would think you took these with a 5DS/5DR

Jul 28, 2016 at 04:12 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

Some of the detail on them is great, I agree. I remember back then being blown away by how well it made the background disappear. And these were taken handheld, with poor technique. Imagine on a tripod or monopod and minding shutter speeds and what not. Could be even better.

Jul 28, 2016 at 04:26 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

I had three SX 50's, and was not that impressed (one was a defective refurb and exchanged). I'd get a camera with 1 in sensor. While the SX50 HS is ok at shorter focal lengths, they struggle above base ISO or at the longer focal lengths in less than very bright light.

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:27 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thinking of picking up a SX60 HS - comments?

I would hunt for the 50 instead of the 60. The 50 has better IQ and there are several tests around that show this. I had both briefly and indeed the 60 was not as good.

Scrumhalf wrote:
My 11yo birder son has a SX50 HS as his camera - it is small and light and he can carry it and use it all day without fatigue. Recently however, my wife has also become interested in taking bird shots and borrows his camera every now and then. So, I am thinking of getting him an SX60 HS, the newer version of his camera, and letting my wife keep the SX50HS.

Anyone here have a SX60 HS? Comments would be welcome. Based on the specs, it is physically pretty similar to the SX50HS which is 3-4 years old now
...Show more

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.