FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

Booked a client in Feb 2016 for a Summer 2017 wedding. They paid their retainer upon booking. All good so far.

I just got an email saying that they're changing their wedding date to Summer 2018 (no specific date set yet).

I'm not taking bookings for 2018 for at least another 8 months. And do to personal reasons, I'm not sure I'm even going to be booking for 2018 period (planning to have kids).

Should I refund the retainer and forget I even had the booking in the first place?

Jul 27, 2016 at 09:38 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

They changed the date so no refunds are necessary. Their loss. Transfer of date to 2018 is up to you.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

You can most likely guess the response as its the same one for most of these types of questions.

"What does your contract say?"

But if you don't have a change of date clause in your contract and you actually called it a "retainer"...

Generally a retainer is not a penalty fee. It is an advanced payment for future services. But do look up the legal definition in your local area as the legal definition maybe different in your local area.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=df17b6c0-5d8e-462c-a138-accf76dcaaf8

I would just refund the money and refer them to one of your buddies as a goodwill move - especially if you haven't turned anyone away for the 2017 date. You haven't incurred any opportunity costs for 2017 yet.

If you want to charge a penalty fee - state it in your contract on when the fee will be triggered. But be carefully with penalty fees because when you put one in the contract for the client - the client usually wants one for your non-performance as well.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

They are actually cancelling the original date and wanting to book another one.

Advance fees should be to reserve or retain the day rather than be a deposit or retain your services. How is it worded in your contract?

If you're not taking bookings for 2018 then that's fine. They've effectively cancelled you and will need to book another photographer.

Jul 27, 2016 at 03:04 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

put posts 2 & 3 together for the answer (which can really only be answered by a lawyer in your state - and maybe not even then, i.e. a judge would have to make new law maybe)

beyond the legal answer, there is the ethical or good guy answer...

Jul 27, 2016 at 03:21 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

Would you be willing to make an exception to shoot one wedding in 2018? I presume the clients are nice to work with.

If, due to family reasons, one wedding is too many for 2018, then refund the retainer, explain why you cannot assist in their wedding and refer a comparable photographer such that your clients will be in good hands. Customer service goes a long way, your clients will appreciate it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 03:33 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

I have had Kids.
I can't see where one day would be such a big deal to shoot a wedding. What are you going to do? Give up your day job as well?

As long as it's not too near the expected date, not that they mean anything or you can control that now, I wouldn't worry.

If the odds of winning the lottery were the same as the kid coming on the date of the wedding, You wouldn't exactly be rushing out to buy tickets would you?

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:11 AM
dccb2009

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Retainer question - Client changed wedding date

Well, I missed my kid's birth because I was covering a wedding. My kid wasn't supposed to come out until 4 weeks later

While it may not be a big deal for that one particular day, it's pretty tough juggling time between changing diaper, bottle feed & burping the baby, helping out the wife with various household chores, actual time to bond with the baby, and editing the wedding images to deliver on time.

Anyhow, I agree with Littleguy's comment and would refund the fees if this happens to me. I have gotten plenty of referrals and repeated bookings from people that I've refunded their retaining fee.

Jul 29, 2016 at 06:01 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.