New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Again SD nd XQD

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Again SD nd XQD

For the coming D500, since I already have so many SD s cards, I intend to buy XQD to hold just jpg files. So how many fine Jpegs can a XQD 64 gb hold? approximately!

Jul 26, 2016 at 06:59 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Again SD nd XQD

XQD will hold the same number as SD. Maybe 4000 or so? Your better bet might be to use XQD for raw, since it'll clear the buffer faster.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:05 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Again SD nd XQD

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
XQD will hold the same number as SD. Maybe 4000 or so? Your better bet might be to use XQD for raw, since it'll clear the buffer faster.

I am trying not to buy to many XQD, to expensive and I do not need lot of buffer, I don't need to buy SD's , since I already have more than I would ever need.
Ma be I should be a XQD 128 gbs. That would be enough for most trips.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:09 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Again SD nd XQD

Yeah, they're definitely a bit pricey. If possible, I'd try to shoot to the XQD card and then offload it to a laptop at the end of the day, and use SD for raw only if the XQD is full for the day or you know you won't need the massive buffer. You still get fantastic performance with SDs, but it just seems a shame to not use the XQD card to the fullest.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:33 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Again SD nd XQD

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
Yeah, they're definitely a bit pricey. If possible, I'd try to shoot to the XQD card and then offload it to a laptop at the end of the day, and use SD for raw only if the XQD is full for the day or you know you won't need the massive buffer. You still get fantastic performance with SDs, but it just seems a shame to not use the XQD card to the fullest.

that is a good solution one day at a time. I think 128 gbs would cover that.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:57 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Again SD nd XQD

I have enough SD cards to cover me for several years. IF I ever need as 200 shot buffer I will buy xqd. Hopefully they wil be cheaper then. Until then, SD is fine for me. If Nikon didn'[t want peopole using SD cards they woulod have put in dual XQD slots.

Jul 26, 2016 at 08:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Again SD nd XQD

my D500 simply says for fine/lrg jpg 4.3K.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:25 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Again SD nd XQD

D500 Large NEFs are 44MB, so expect 1.5K images per 64GB XQD. My fast Lexar card can be unloaded in three minutes when using a Sony USB3 reader and MBP laptop. At that speed, you can unload as needed right in the field.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:22 AM
D5100 Dude
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Again SD nd XQD

How much is the Sony USB XQD reader?

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:29 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Again SD nd XQD

$55, which is obnoxiously expensive, but I wasn't in the mood to mess around with the hit-or-miss brands (Kingston, Delkin, etc). In Sony's defense, the MRW-E90 is solid (as plastic goes), rear cable is well made and detachable, XQD 1 and 2 supported, UHS-II supported, slots have spring-loaded ejection, activity indicated via LED. Most importantly, it just works and is damn fast. Plug-and-play on the Mac.

Ref:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219034-REG/sony_mrwe90_bc1_xqd_sd_card_reader.html

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Again SD nd XQD

now if you just want a XQD reader there is the slightly less obnoxiously priced Lexar or Sony just XQD readers. the Sony one is essentially the same one that came with the first generation G series XQD 2.0 cards and comes with an extension cable too. I have 2 of these. and I also have the obnoxiously priced one too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238232-REG/lexar_lrwxqdrbna_pro_xqd2_usb3_reader.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242140-REG/sony_qda_sb1_j_xqd_usb_adapter.html

Jul 27, 2016 at 04:50 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Again SD nd XQD

Nikon doesn't want me using SD cards in my D5. All I have is two XQD slots. XQDs are not that expensive if you are careful and consider the cost of a D5. The D500 is such a monster performance bargain that XQDs are more expensive considering the body/card cost ratio.

Jul 27, 2016 at 08:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Again SD nd XQD

yep, it's a situational lack of commitment. too much of the old stuff to deal with the new.

I actually have almost an equal amount of XQD to SD. I keep on UHS II SD card in its slot as potential overflow or on the occasional situation jpg. it hardly gets touched. the rest of the SD cards get used in the 7200. and even then I have a relatively small investment in either card sets. using my film analogy and cost is rationalized.

Edited on Jul 27, 2016 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2016 at 09:01 AM
ariot
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Again SD nd XQD

I'm of the opinion that XQD is worth the investment, at least enough cards to get through a heavy day of work -- or for casual shooters, maybe just one plus a backup.

The speed of these things is amazing, and although I'm only using the D500 as opposed to the D5, the comparative speed when working with SD/CF cards from the 810 bodies is now a real drag .

Jul 27, 2016 at 09:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Again SD nd XQD

I realized a long time ago that these cards had a very finite performance span. never "collected" them. I do feel I have too many SD cards though.

Jul 27, 2016 at 09:42 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Again SD nd XQD

sjms wrote:
yep, it's a situational lack of commitment. too much of the old stuff to deal with the new.

I actually have almost an equal amount of XQD to SD. I keep on UHS II SD card in its slot as potential overflow or on the occasional situation jpg. it hardly gets touched. the rest of the SD cards get used in the 7200. and even then I have a relatively small investment in either card sets. using my film analogy and cost is rationalized.

You mean: D500 has 3 slots: SD XQD and micro SD?

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:18 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Again SD nd XQD

well it can use micro SD with an adapter. as you know it is only 2 slots.

where did your mention of microSD come into play?

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Again SD nd XQD

I bought a XQD (Lexar, 128GB, 2933x, for a month long trip), it was superb. I deleted some as I went along (not always recommended by some people but I've always done it, with SD, CF and now XQD, and never had an issue) and had almost filled it by the time I got home (I also had about another 300GB from the D800E and A7r).

I bought the Sony reader. Everything has worked well so far and the XQD is phenomenal in that even shooting extended bursts (birds - and even then not even a handful of times) I didn't once hit the buffer limit.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Again SD nd XQD

I've been trying to say that since 2014 but they were quite pricey back then. now at todays pricing those who complain these days just really looking to complain about something.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Again SD nd XQD

sjms wrote:
well it can use micro SD with an adapter. as you know it is only 2 slots.

where did your mention of microSD come into play?

Well, pardon my ignorance. What is UHS-II ?

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.