Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

rparchen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Congratulations to rparchen for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 23 votes - View Previous Winners

I have spent quite a bit of time up at this area, probably at least 10+ days over the past few years, and I have to say these were the most unique conditions. This odd looking cloud hung around for at least two hours and seemed to refuse to move and I wasn't complaining! I even snagged a time lapse of the sunset and it just slowly morphed, for lack of better words, but stayed in place as the sun was dropping. Overall, a seriously fun evening of shooting. Shot with A7r and Zeiss 2,8/21 ZE (2 Seconds, F/11, ISO 100). Enjoy!!

Jul 26, 2016 at 02:33 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Very striking image, how can one not like it. I love the details in the tree and rocks, and the cloud is just icing on the cake. Very well done, I wonder how old that bristlecone stump is?

PS - I voted on this as "Featured Thread", but I also voted on another image yesterday. Im not sure how this voting works. Is there a limit per week, or is it just the last vote that counts? If anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Jul 26, 2016 at 03:56 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

DaleBerlin wrote:
Very striking image, how can one not like it. I love the details in the tree and rocks, and the cloud is just icing on the cake. Very well done, I wonder how old that bristlecone stump is?

PS - I voted on this as "Featured Thread", but I also voted on another image yesterday. Im not sure how this voting works. Is there a limit per week, or is it just the last vote that counts? If anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Hey Dale,

All of your votes count, so feel free to vote for those threads that you feel are worthy of being featured. You are not ranking them 1st, 2nd, etc. that ends up being done by the tally of which thread got the most votes.

And yes, I will vote for this thread too as this is a very unique looking shot with that cloud.

Jim

Jul 26, 2016 at 05:26 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Wow! This is almost magical! Absolutely beautiful work! I would very much like to see the time lapse you shot of this. That has got t be of the chart.

Dave

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dale,

All of your votes count, so feel free to vote for those threads that you feel are worthy of being featured. You are not ranking them 1st, 2nd, etc. that ends up being done by the tally of which thread got the most votes.

Jim

I did not know this Jim! Thanks!

Voted!

Dave

Jul 26, 2016 at 05:50 PM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

What a wonderful shot! That cloud is just insane.

Jul 26, 2016 at 05:53 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Great image!
Brian

Jul 26, 2016 at 08:40 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

This looks like it could a background to a Molly Hatchet album cover....
https://www.google.com/search?q=molly+hatchet+album+cover&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvoYSij5LOAhUIaD4KHSTBBQwQsAQIHQ&biw=1680&bih=939

Well done! It has my vote as a featured thread.

Regards.....Pete

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

lenticular cloud?

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

its great

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Yep, timing is everything. Great timing.

Jack

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Wow Rick! That is quite a cloud, and well executed

Tim

Jul 27, 2016 at 02:27 AM
Linda Shorey
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

A spectacular sight! This is such a unique and dramatic image; I love it. I have seen small lenticular clouds alone in the sky, but more impressive, a couple hovering over the summit of Mt Rainier. None were ever in golden light. I can well imagine your delight at being there for the experience, and so happy you shared this marvelous image.

Jul 27, 2016 at 02:12 PM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

That is definitely a cool shot. Thanks for posting and worthy of a vote. Best, Bob

Jul 28, 2016 at 01:56 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Looks like something out of a video game Rick yet I know this is real. Sweet!

Morris

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

DaleBerlin wrote:

Thanks for the comment! I believe this tree was dated to be 4,800+ years old and was thought to be the oldest living organism in the world until another tree in the area was dated over 5,000 years old. It's pretty incredible to grasp that timeframe!

Jul 29, 2016 at 02:40 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dale,

And yes, I will vote for this thread too as this is a very unique looking shot with that cloud.

Jim

Thanks for the comment Jim!

lighthound wrote:
Wow! This is almost magical! Absolutely beautiful work! I would very much like to see the time lapse you shot of this. That has got t be of the chart.

Dave

Thanks for the comment Dave! I don't know how to post a video on here but I uploaded the timelapse to my Instragram account if you're on there. @ParchenPhotography. It was just taken with my iphone since the real camera was occupied but still pretty cool!

Jul 29, 2016 at 02:42 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Maritan wrote:
What a wonderful shot! That cloud is just insane.

I'm a sucker for a good lenticular!

Brian Woolf wrote:
Great image!
Brian

Thank you Brian!

pliukait wrote:
This looks like it could a background to a Molly Hatchet album cover....
https://www.google.com/search?q=molly+hatchet+album+cover&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvoYSij5LOAhUIaD4KHSTBBQwQsAQIHQ&biw=1680&bih=939

Well done! It has my vote as a featured thread.

Regards.....Pete

It seems to fit the theme, lol. Thanks for the comment and vote!

Jul 29, 2016 at 02:44 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

rw11 wrote:
lenticular cloud?

I'm no weather expert but I believe it is! The Eastern Sierra mountains toss up some crazy clouds.

killersnowman wrote:
its great

Glad you enjoy!

jforkner wrote:
Yep, timing is everything. Great timing.

Jack

Thanks Jack! I definitely lucked out on this one.

Timmeh wrote:
Wow Rick! That is quite a cloud, and well executed

Tim

Thanks Tim! The shot itself was pretty easy, nature did the hard part

Linda Shorey wrote:
A spectacular sight! This is such a unique and dramatic image; I love it. I have seen small lenticular clouds alone in the sky, but more impressive, a couple hovering over the summit of Mt Rainier. None were ever in golden light. I can well imagine your delight at being there for the experience, and so happy you shared this marvelous image.

Thanks Linda! I haven't come across too many lenticular formations while shooting but the Oregon Mountains and Eastern Sierras seem to be hot spots. I've seen some crazy lenticular over Sparks Lake in Oregon but haven't been able to snag any there yet.

Bob Altic wrote:
That is definitely a cool shot. Thanks for posting and worthy of a vote. Best, Bob

Much appreciated Bob!

morris wrote:
Looks like something out of a video game Rick yet I know this is real. Sweet!

Morris

Ha, it kinda does! That or a lame romance novel, lol.

Jul 29, 2016 at 02:48 PM
Chuck D
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Wow!!!

Aug 06, 2016 at 03:01 PM
Chuck D
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Awesome cloud over "the" Bristlecone Pine

Wow!!!