New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

I need to change my Epson 300 Photo as it is terminally ill and doesn't like Windows 10! I really want an A3 printer and have got the Epson SC-P600 as current favourite. It will be a general photo printer but particularly B&W as the lab I use to print at present doesn't have a special B&W printer. My questions are:
1. Is it good at B&W (ie better than say a Canon 10 or 100S?
2. It's not going to get heavy use - really only occasional. The instructions say "shake the cartridges when fitting to avoid the pigment settling" Does this imply that it will be highly liable to clogging if only used occasionally?
3. Any other suggestions as to a larger than A4 printer?
Niall

Edited on Jul 26, 2016 at 07:41 AM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:46 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

I could really use some help with this, guys.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:40 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

I have a P7000 and I don't really know anything about the P600, but I wouldn't equate ink agitation to a clogging propensity. I believe this is more for color consistency than anything else. If some pigment settles out then the color of ink flowing through the printer will be altered. AFAIK Epson pigment printer manuals have long recommended agitation before installing the inks. The P7000 manual recommends ink cartridge removal, agitation, and re-installation every 3 months if the printer is used infrequently. I've always done that no matter how much the printer is used, but I did it every 6 months, not three. I suspect this is because the new ink set has wider gamut and 50% higher pigment loading than the previous generation. Pigment loading could indeed affect clogging performance, but there'd be less clogging if you don't shake the cartridges because there's be less pigment at the nozzles, and pigment consists of solid particles suspended in liquid. I've had this printer less than a month so it's too soon to know, but so far there have been zero clogs. I had a 7900 for 7.5 years before this and had seen a few minor "clogs" in the first month. Note that Epson 7900 "clogs" are often not really clogs, but a lack of ink or air at the nozzles. I wish I could help more, but that's all I know.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

Very helpful Thanks a lot
Niall

Jul 26, 2016 at 01:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

My R3000 sat out an entire winter unused. This was a winter of polar vortex after polar vortex. It got to where I mixed up fabric softener and water to spray on the carpet to avoid shocks. When I fired it up in July I ran a test cycle and all was good.

My R800 would clog every time somebody sneezed. I was actually thankful when it died.

Jul 26, 2016 at 01:52 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

runamuck wrote:
My R3000 sat out an entire winter unused. This was a winter of polar vortex after polar vortex. It got to where I mixed up fabric softener and water to spray on the carpet to avoid shocks. When I fired it up in July I ran a test cycle and all was good.

My R800 would clog every time somebody sneezed. I was actually thankful when it died.

So.... as long as you kept the floors wet and didn't catch a cold you'd be pretty right for printing

Aug 12, 2016 at 09:18 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

Every week or two I fire up printer long enough to do a nozzle print test. So far no issues.

When considering the Epson P600 or P800 or others, be aware that you lose a significant amount of ink every time you change from using Matt Black ink to or from Glossy Black ink. I think Canon do it better - or at least they do on their bigger iPF xx00 printers.

- Alan

Aug 12, 2016 at 09:25 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

I'm also considering the p600 or the p800. I currently have an older R2880.

Can't answer your first question because I've not owned a Canon printer. As far as shaking the cartridges to prevent clogging question. Clogging happens when the ink can't flow though the print head. Shaking doesn't prevent clogging.

The p600 is a gravity feed ink system. You'll notice that the inks are loaded on top of the printer. Epson recommends printing a nozzle check sheet once a week when not in use. I've done this with my R2880 and not used the printer for long periods of time. I've never had a clogg.

The p800 ink system is not gravity feed but continous feedsystem. According to Epson, clogging should not happen when the printer is not in use because ink is not gravity fed into the print head.

Some things to think about when deciding between the two. The p600 uses pads or sponges on the edge of prints during the printing precess to catch any edge ink splatter. Changing the pads is not a user thing but a service call with Epson. The p800 uses a trough system to catch over-spray ink which is then collected in an collection tank which can be replaced by the user.

The p600 has a real cheesy, shiny piece os plastic around the front of the printer which seems to smudge and scratch easily. No such shiny plastic on the p800.

From my research both printers print black and white very nicely.

Which to get.....I'm at a quandary and really can't decide. Good luck making a decision.

Aug 12, 2016 at 04:50 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

Alan321 wrote:
So.... as long as you kept the floors wet and didn't catch a cold you'd be pretty right for printing

No, fabric softener and water sprayed lightly on the carpet reduces shocking. Spray lightly once a month.

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I buy an Epson SureColor SC-P600 A3+ Printer

mogud wrote:
Which to get.....I'm at a quandary and really can't decide. Good luck making a decision.

Thanks for the info describing differences between the P800 and P600.

Something else to consider is that if you are inclined to use roll paper then you'll probably get a much better selection in 17" (for the P800) than in 13" (for the P600). Roll paper is handy if you want to print panoramas.

I'd have bought the P80 but I just don't have enough blank wall space to warrant paying extra for a 17" printer.

- Alan

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:25 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.