Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · The Green Monster

sdison

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Green Monster

Nope, not at Fenway Park, but halfway around the world in Australia!

This is shot this morning at Burgess Beach in Forster, Australia near my hometown on a quick weekend trip. We're in the middle of winter here in Australia, yet a week of unseasonably warm temperatures has seen spring-like conditions, with trees prematurely flowering and moss growing on many of the rocks at local beaches. Normally we need to wait for Late August or September to see conditions like these but we were in for a treat this morning.

I almost didn't get this shot - after picking my tripod up from shooting this i realised I had forgotten a sky exposure, so i quickly plonked my tripod down to catch a shorter sky exposure. Unfortunately nothing lined up so it was a particularly complex exposure blend in Photoshop!

This is 2 frames blended for exposure at 15mm, f/16, ISO 64. The water flow was taken at 1/3s and the sky at 1/8s. I got pretty wet taking this, but thankfully both camera and operator are fine!

Jul 24, 2016 at 09:27 AM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Green Monster

Hi Sam,

Your choice of shutter speed works really well, and the light is really nice. Nice job!

Tim

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Green Monster

this is a very dramatic image Sam

Morris

Jul 24, 2016 at 05:48 PM
sdison

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Green Monster

Timmeh wrote:
Hi Sam,

Your choice of shutter speed works really well, and the light is really nice. Nice job!

Tim

Thanks Tim! The light just glowed all morning, it was fantastic. Really pleased I got this as I've been in a bit of a seascape funk lately!
---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
this is a very dramatic image Sam

Morris

Thanks Morris - definitely was the aim!

Jul 25, 2016 at 03:15 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Green Monster

Hi Sam!
This looks like a great location, and i think you tried pretty hard, i like it overall, but the combination of so detailed FG, and so bad executed sky, in the other hand, kills it for me.

IMHO this location deserves better, and you have the skill to show its beauty.

Cheers!
Andrey

Jul 25, 2016 at 04:14 AM
sdison

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Green Monster

lionking wrote:
Hi Sam!
This looks like a great location, and i think you tried pretty hard, i like it overall, but the combination of so detailed FG, and so bad executed sky, in the other hand, kills it for me.

IMHO this location deserves better, and you have the skill to show its beauty.

Cheers!
Andrey

Care to elaborate Andrey? What's so poorly executed?

Jul 25, 2016 at 08:02 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Green Monster

sdison wrote:
Care to elaborate Andrey? What's so poorly executed?

Sure, sorry, i thought it was obvious, i mean the blown sky of course, the complete luck of detail in the left part, i usually would not bother, but since you executed the FG so well (thats pretty high bar) i would expect not less in the sky, probably thats me, but you started...

Jul 25, 2016 at 08:41 AM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Green Monster

Hi Sam, what a lovely is somewhat frightening image. Altho being Aussie, these surge channels are like our grizzlies so they are likely 'no worries, mate'!??

Can understand why you got wet. Just based on the image and the appearance of the water I'd say you are lucky you didn't get knocked over onto your keester and lose you gear to boot!!

Well done mate! Damn those Aussies are tough, eh?

Alan

Jul 25, 2016 at 01:50 PM
sdison

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Green Monster

angel manguel wrote:
Hi Sam, what a lovely is somewhat frightening image. Altho being Aussie, these surge channels are like our grizzlies so they are likely 'no worries, mate'!??

Can understand why you got wet. Just based on the image and the appearance of the water I'd say you are lucky you didn't get knocked over onto your keester and lose you gear to boot!!

Well done mate! Damn those Aussies are tough, eh?

Alan

Hahaha! The thought of grizzlies scare the hell out of me - I'll be over in the US in late September so not particularly looking forward to that part of the experience!

The water flow wasn't too bad here - the key is to wait for the biggest waves to come in and get the shot when those happen. The water barely got above my shins but the odd freak wave can catch you out.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:30 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Green Monster

Gorgeous!

Jul 26, 2016 at 08:31 AM
scottiet
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Green Monster

Sam,

Lovely image!

Jul 26, 2016 at 08:45 AM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Green Monster

Sam

The rendering feels over the top in saturation and contrast. Other than that this photo is nicely composed but I don't see a picture of a place or evocative of the ephemeral concept of mood or lighting. It's a photo of a foreground and a background made by a skilled craftsman. I don't feel the tug of a powerful surf or why this is an outrageous place. It's a great sunset, but those happen all over the place, and they get photographed all the time.

The question I ask myself in these situations is what is my intent. Is it a pretty capture (a word I hate), is there a concept I'm trying to discover or convey or am I doing something that's been done before.

Jul 26, 2016 at 08:26 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Green Monster

great shot Sam

Jul 27, 2016 at 06:34 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Green Monster

Love it.

You guys are too damn critical, although if it were mine I might crop a bit off the top to de-emphasize the very bright/blown sky a bit.

Jul 27, 2016 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.