New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

Macrogirl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

Hello All,

I have been getting more and more serious about my photography in the last two years, and bought gear as and when needed. As my main focus is studio work (Product and Macro) I bought the manfrotto 410 junior geared head, which I am extremely happy with. Now I want to get outside for some great Macro shots of flowers, mushrooms and cacti. For this I bought the Berlebach Mini tripod, and the Manfrotto RC 310 Joystick head. It appealed to me because of the way it is so easy to adjust, and as I found one at a great price 2nd hand, I thought it would be the right move. I have not owned it for long, but I am starting to doubt my decision already. It is not as solid as I had hoped (especially for Macro), and it is also way too big to carry in my camera bag, especially as I am trying to keep the weight down when I am walking.

So, now I am thinking of selling it on and getting a much smaller and lighter one. So far I have my eye on the Novoflex Magicball 50 (I like the large range of movement), although it is probably bulkier than I would like, or the more 'traditional' 3LT Airhed Equinox (or its little brother) - attractive for its massive load rating and double pano plate. I am also open to suggestions, but my budget is not huge at this point...although I would like something that will last me for the forseeable future. Any help is much appreciated!

Jul 23, 2016 at 04:52 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

What kind of gear do you shoot with, camera body and longest lens ?

As you already found out the RC 310 joystick is all but precise and stable.

Getting a ballhead is good choice,the Novoflex Magicball 50 is a nice ballhead, albeit not as compact as many others in the same segment. (due to the handle) It also requires a clamp to attach to your camera/lens without having to thread it on each time. So i would consider the cost of the clamp and camera plate into the price as well.

My recommendation for a (traditional) budget ballhead would be the Sirui K30X It's hard to beat for the money.

It's quite compact and it's performs as well as many of the high end names costing 3x as much. (in most regards)

I personally use geared heads when i need precision, i use a Arca Swiss D4 which is smaller then the 410, and a lot smaller then my 405.(which i never use anymore)

For better precision with a ballhead you can add focusing rails, but then you add to bulk and weight and might not save that much compared to you'r 410.

For higher end ballheads there a lot to choose from, but they of course cost more and never comes with a camera plate, and some don't even come with a clamp.

A good head is important, but don't forget the sticks they are equally important imho.

Now some will surely advice you to get the best straight away, and claiming nothing but RRS ballhead will do for macro etc.

Nothing wrong in buying the best if you can afford it, but know you can start out with less and still get excellent results.

Edited on Jul 24, 2016 at 12:22 AM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2016 at 05:25 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

If it is the vertical one, good luck. Great for general work, but for macro you will need better. Mucho mucho lotsa big bucks better. Macro is an extremely demanding art form. Most macro shooters use tiny apertures and focus manually. Geared heads and focus raios are common as photogs move the camera inMM increments. This is no p;lace for a pistol grip.
http://www.adorama.com/awmbd4gf.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwq8y8BRCstYTm8qeT9mwSJACZGjUkr1O-ScI6R1sjfFg07o0rw3XAxZjsb0GMOK0D90yBSRoC8hLw_wcB

Jul 23, 2016 at 05:28 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

Well i think she already come to conclusion that a pistol grip ballhead isn't working.

She also states she has the 410 which is a geared head, so i think we can assume she knows the difference.

Depending on magnification and if it's critical work i would say that a D4 and focusing rail is all but a requirement.

Jul 23, 2016 at 05:42 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

There is a German firm that makes what look to be good ballheads - maybe they distribute to the UK? They aren't seen in the US so we have little info on them.

In the US, RRS makes xlnt ball heads - not sure if that makes sense over there.

There is also Arca-Swiss.

Remember, as magnification increases, stability becomes much more important. OTOH, flash solves a LOT of problems.

Jul 23, 2016 at 06:10 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

You don't happen to know the name of the German brand ? (it's not FLM right ? because B&H carries them..)

RRS does make excellent ballheads, but they have a lot of competition these days..

DPR did extensive review of a pile of them

From what i know RRS don't have a official dealer in Europe, which is a shame. And their products are really expensive in comparison to equivalent products. For example the the K-40X which did quite well in DPR 's Test cost about 1/4 of the RRS here in Sweden.

Arca Swiss (small french company) is of course a lot more accessible(well not entirely true, in Sweden it seems almost impossible to get them) , and makes just as good products as RRS. But they aren't cheap either.

Jul 23, 2016 at 06:29 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

IIRC, it is FLM

Markins is also good - that guy is Korean so it may be available in the UK. It is the lightest quality ball-head

Jul 23, 2016 at 06:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

In addition to the ballhead focusing rails are very useful for static subjects at high magnifications.

EBH

Jul 23, 2016 at 06:55 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

rw11 wrote:
IIRC, it is FLM

Markins is also good - that guy is Korean so it may be available in the UK. It is the lightest quality ball-head

Well maybe B&H got them recently then.

They are nice, they actually performed best in DPR's stress test.

I have the CB-48FT, which is excellent and very well made. A bargain for the price.

Jul 23, 2016 at 07:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

I have a:
Markins M10*- this replaced my AS B1.
*semi retired
RRS BH55 one of the first 10 off the line. the do need a little "breaking in". use with big lenses and sidekick.
RRS BH40 fun right out of the box. my regular grab and go when not going on a plane. do a lot of close up work with it using a focusing rail.
RRS BH30 outstanding travel head with the right legset. mine has its own passport its been out and about so much. getting ready to pack up and go again.

since you're in a neighborhood where these are very low on the availability chain and high in price I would hit on the Markins Q10

Edited on Jul 23, 2016 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2016 at 07:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

EB-1 wrote:
In addition to the ballhead focusing rails are very useful for static subjects at high magnifications.

EBH

yup

Jul 23, 2016 at 08:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

I was thinking of two rails at right angles.
BTW is that the OS version of the 150?

EBH

Jul 23, 2016 at 08:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

that is way too many knobs and height for me. I manage to do what I need with the one. yep that is the OS version. I hardly ever use the OS unless i'm shooting handheld with it. optically it is an excellent tool. it is also my one and only "prime" lens.

Jul 23, 2016 at 08:33 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

her "main focus is studio work" so mounting the subject on a rail can often be the way to go

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

sjms wrote:
yup

What make is that rail?

C

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1213206-REG/kirk_fr2_wbag_focusing_rail_fr_2_with.html

EBH

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

Chris Court wrote:
What make is that rail?

C

that is a Kirk FR2

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

My favorite ballheads:

Arca Swiss P0 with RRS lever clamp
Acratech GP-ss with lever clamp

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

rw11 wrote:
her "main focus is studio work" so mounting the subject on a rail can often be the way to go

Unless you deal with high magnifications and stacking a focus rail on a geared head can be a bit to slow to work with. (as in to many knobs)

Though working with AF lenses on 35mm, a focus rail can be a faster way to nail focus..

This however is for outdoor use and not in the studio, where she already uses the 410.

Adding focusing rail makes her rig less mobile, and not so much smaller/lighter then the 410.

Edited on Jul 24, 2016 at 01:28 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:03 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ballheads - what should my next move be

I would not recommend Markins, i owned both the M20 and the M10 back in the day where there where little to no alternatives available to the big guys like Arca Swiss, RRS, Acra Tech and the likes. (in Europe)

While decent ballheads, they offer really not much in comparison to the budget alternatives that are readily available today. (apart from a higher price tag that is)

So a Sirui K30X would be performing just as well, the Markins only upperhand would be color variations.

The FLM on the other hand, simply outperforms the Markins on all levels, build, function and performance. It also cheaper then the Markins.

Edited on Jul 24, 2016 at 01:42 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:32 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.