New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

dhlewis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

Oh, I'm always sooooo careful. But it fell off the tripod today while photographing classic cars at a show today. The good news is that it broke the way it's supposed to at the mount end and the camera body was not damaged at all. The lens itself looks fine on the outside what broke it the plastic piece ( YG9-0312-000 barrel fixed) that is attached to the EF metal mount along with the ribbon cable ( CH1-0632 (AL-904)) that feeds the power to the lens PCB electronics.

My first reaction (no, amazingly I didn't even swear) is to see if I can get the lens repaired. I've started to check around to see what parts are available. Assuming I find what is required who do you recommend I send it too for inspection and calibration? I remember reading about a place called Midwest camera repair any others?

Before any of you chime in and say I should just buy a new lens I have two things too mention. First I have had this lens for 10+ years and it is, or should I say was, really, really sharp. Second, and more importantly I am unemployed right now (manufacturing for last 35 years) and can attest that age discrimination is rampant in this country. Don't get me started.

Thanks for any repair site suggestions.

Edited on Jul 25, 2016 at 02:05 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2016 at 03:08 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

Ouch! I had this happen to a 16-35 f/2.8 and Canon fixed it with no problem. I don't know who else I would send it to.

Jul 23, 2016 at 03:40 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

I feel for you .
im not sure what the current state of play as regard to repairs but the usual defacto answer to a repair of an out of date lens used to be MIDSTATE .

hope its not too bad a job

Jul 23, 2016 at 03:43 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

hotdog12 wrote:
Ouch! I had this happen to a 16-35 f/2.8 and Canon fixed it with no problem. I don't know who else I would send it to.

canon won't likely touch the old 28-70L

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

hotdog12 wrote:

canon won't likely touch the old 28-70L

dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

Yes, I know Canon will not touch the lens. Further research has revealed the problem is going to be getting a lens barrel, which has the little plastic tabs that are designed to break so the lens itself is not damaged. The other parts I need appear to be available.

Jul 23, 2016 at 03:48 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

I highly recommend below. If Toshio has the part you need, he will take care of your lens.

T F Camera Repair
27 Brunswick Woods Drive
East Brunswick, NJ 08816-5601
Phone: (732) 238-8806

Jul 23, 2016 at 06:42 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

midwest camera is who I'd suggest. They're in Wyandotte, Michigan I'm not sure what part of Ohio you're from but you can even drive it up there if you needed to. Wyandotte is like 2 and half hrs from me.

http://www.midwestcamera.com

Jul 24, 2016 at 06:06 AM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

I have the same lens and had to have Midwest to a full focus adjust, it works like a gem now they did great work just be prepared for them to take 8-12 weeks, it appears they have 1 person who works on Canon L glass!

Not sure if they have the parts, an email to them may help, google them and they have a link to get a quote

Jul 24, 2016 at 07:55 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

By 'plastic piece that is attached to the EF metal mount' I assume you mean the bayonet cover. That's a super easy repair. The old bayonet cover can be popped right off with a kitchen knife. You can usually find those parts on Ebay or on another Canon parts website.

As to the 'ribbon cable that feeds the power to the lens electronics' I'm guessing it's the ribbon cable connecting the electrical contacts on the mount to the main circuit board (PCB)? If that ribbon cable is damaged then basically the PCB is shot. However, to source and replace the PCB is a pretty easy repair. Numerous Youtube tutorials show how to disassemble and replace those components.

If the ribbon cables that connect the zoom barrel/AF to the PCB are damaged then you'll probably find out pretty quickly as the lens will have trouble autofocusing. If those ribbon cables are damaged, or if the zoom barrel or AF machinery is damaged then that will probably require a more extensive repair.

As to recalibrating the lens after you (or a professional) repairs it, that's a personal decision. If the lens works fine, I don't see the need for a recalibration.

Jul 25, 2016 at 09:01 AM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Beloved EF28-70 2.8, in intensive care

Thank You everyone for your responses. Midwest Camera said they can repair it, I'll update this thread with the outcome for future reference.

Jul 25, 2016 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.