New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

After thrashing around for a while and with the excellent insights from members here, I've decided to hold the line at CS6. I'm currently on Lr 5.7.1 and wondering if upgrading to v. 6 is useful/valuable. I know this has been hashed about here several times, but what is the current state of thought?

With a great deal of effort, I've found that it is possible to buy the v. 6.0 as an upgrade from Adobe. Am I the only one with the feeling that Adobe is basically contemptuous of its clients?

Looking at the v. 6.0 specs, I'm not seeing a lot of improvement/new features - or perhaps I'm just missing it.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Robert

Jul 23, 2016 at 01:17 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

OntheRez wrote:
Am I the only one with the feeling that Adobe is basically contemptuous of its clients?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Robert

My thought on this is that it will lead to no useful new information, just a rehash of the same old opinions that have been posted here for the last couple of years.

Jul 23, 2016 at 02:03 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

Personally i am not seeing a lot of difference. The performance improvements for GPU acceleration aren't all that incredible (and i have a decent graphics card - GTX970), and the other "improvements" are mostly of little interest to me.

- Facial recognition is of no interest to me
- Panoramas are better done in photoshop or PTGUI
- HDR merge is done better in LREnfuse

The improved filter control in CC (i have standalone LR6) looks useful though, as do some of the other CC-only features.

In your position, given that LR6 is now 14 months old or so, i would recommend either getting CC or waiting for LR7.

Jul 23, 2016 at 02:11 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

Dan,

Yeah, I guess you're correct. Sort of hoping something had happened. Am I correct that the stand alone version of v 6.0 has received NO updates - unlike the CC version.

15bit
If I can't recognize the face then I've probably gone blind. (Actually ON1's portrait module is superb at this and other portrait "enhancements.")

I've looked about a bit, but for HDR I haven't found anything with near the power or control of Photomatix. Not flashy, doesn't get updated all that often, but I've done a lot of truly subtle work with it. Agree on PTGui though I've let it lapse in updating.

So the vaunted "haze removal" is not in the standalone version? Would really be helpful here in the desert.

Thought I had a copy

Jul 23, 2016 at 04:32 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

I use the stand alone version of LR 6 and no big speed increase from 5.7 for me. The Photo Merge feature for panorama and hdr is useful, no more switching to Photoshop or other programs and LR does the conversions as DNG files so no large TIFF files. I find myself shooting more panoramas so for me I would say its worth it. There is a free plugin to mimic the Dehaze that works well. Good point about maybe waiting for LR 7.

Vic

Jul 23, 2016 at 07:49 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lr 5 vs Lr 6?

As long as you don't have a newer camera, or have no issue with converting your RAW images to DNG for any new camera, most folks could get by with Lr v5.x.

As someone who has licenses to both Lr v6 and the CC Photography package ... I do like the Dehaze tool. I shoot a lot of sports. Many youth, high school and small college baseball/softball fields necessitate shooting through chainlink fencing and/or working in very challenging lighting conditions, the Dehaze tool really comes in handy for restoring a bit of punch. Yes, it can be mimicked using other methods, but it is so drop dead easy just to move a single slider in the Effects panel.

I also second the fact that while there are other methods to achieve pano and HDR merging ... doing so with a resulting DNG as a file format over TIFF is a huge plus.

For the mere $80 fee for an upgrade, these items as well as some other ancillary improvements are well worth the investment. IMHO.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.