Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

JHD21

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

I have been wanting to photograph the fall hawk migration at Hawk Ridge near Duluth, Mn. for some time. Does anyone have any experience with photographing this raptor migration? Can you suggest locations on the ridge that would make for opportune photos? Any observations would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 23, 2016 at 07:44 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

I have been up there several times. Each time there were either a few raptors coming over the ridge or none at all. The raptors that I have seen usually come over pretty high, too high to get decent results even with a supertelephoto. The ridge itself is pretty small. There is no one place that is better then another for observation. There are some volunteers working up there that will occasionally release a bird. Some people may have had better experiences then I have but from what I have seen I would recommend saving your money and going someplace else for your photo trip.

Jul 23, 2016 at 08:38 AM
JHD21

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

Thanks for the observations! Any suggestions you could give that would prove to be more productive?

Jul 23, 2016 at 09:17 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

The hawk migration starts in September and can run as late as January when a few eagles come down. I can't help you much with Hawks but if you want a productive Fall photo trip. I would go to Grantsburg Wi mid October until it freezes sometimes as late as late November. There are thousands of Sandhill Cranes that fly into the Crex Meadows refuge? You can see them leaving the refuge in the morning and coming back at dusk. During the day you can drive the back roads and see them feeding in the farm fields. You will probably also see an occasional hawk, trumpeter swan or eagle. Another place for viewing cranes near there is Fish Lake. Just check out the Crex Meadows website before you go as they always list the current populations. If you go to Grantsburg you will only be ninety miles from Duluth so you could check out Hawk Ridge and maybe prove me wrong.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:03 AM
JHD21

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

Thanks for the suggestion. I live 50 miles from Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Game Area in Northwest Indiana. The fall migration of sandhill cranes at J-P generally numbers between 15k and 17k by the first of December. I suspect many of the cranes that stop over at J-P come from the areas you suggested. I will keep these locations in mind. It just may be I will visit the area. Sandhill cranes are among my favorite photo subjects.

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

Birders always flock to these high spots. You will see them, if you want good tight photos the east coast beaches that also have marsh land are super, particular in NY, NJ, MD, and VA.

Morris

Jul 24, 2016 at 09:04 AM
JHD21

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

Thanks Morris! Looks like my search continues. I will investigate the eastern shore more carefully. Thanks again!

Jul 24, 2016 at 03:55 PM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

Nepal from 5-20 November for Steppe Eagles and several vulture species...full frame images with a 400mm lens are possible. Contact me if you want details...you could do three weeks including airfare for about $2k.

Bearded Vulture (Lammergeier) in Nepal with 5Ds and 600mm F4 II at ISO 800 and 1/3200 sec/F4

White-rumped Vulture (Juvenile) with 5Ds and 600mm F4 II at 1/3200 sec and 800 ISO

Jul 24, 2016 at 09:28 PM
JHD21

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fall Raptor Migration at Hawk Ridge.

rdcny, these pics are wonderful. What a great opportunity for those who do not mind international travel. Thanks for the suggestion. I must pass on this wonderful opportunity. JIM

Jul 25, 2016 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.