New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

Boston & Harbor Islands as seen from ramparts on George's Island (site of Fort Warren).
Fuji 18-55mm, 9 image stitch

© howardm4 2016

Jul 22, 2016 at 07:46 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

Pretty cool.
In the neighborhood, but never out on the island and neat seeing this view. Now I want to go.
I suspect others are better at the technical critique. To my eye, looks good with good verticals, controlled distortion seamless sky. Maybe a bit oversaturated in the blues, but other than that....
Scott

Jul 22, 2016 at 08:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

+1 @ stitch work
+1 @ saturation

Looks like you may have some banding in the upper right corner (saturation induced )

Might consider cropping the ends to remove the "man-made" stuff @ sidewalk / path on the left, and the pier / dock on the right (sailboat stays) and reduce the width. I realize that when pano stitching, we can get caught up in more is better at look how wide I can go, but I'm not sure it helps to go quite that wide here.

If the pier or path are truly integral (imo, they aren't) to your message, then you certainly can include them, but having both of them in the scene tends to pull us A) harder to the edges (i.e. exiting the frame), and B) render a bit of the "ping-pong" effect.

In the end, I think it's a nice capture to convey a day communing with the natural area ... away from the city. It kinda says to me that, "Yes, you can escape the city."

Jul 23, 2016 at 07:09 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

Thanks for your input.

I think the blue sat is a tad high too so I've added a -10 blue HSL layer and I think that will bring it around. I think I took something like 3 different versions of this and one of them had a polarizer and this may be it. I forget offhand. That *might* explain the saturation on the right side, particularly in the water. It really was a super clear, sunny and saturated kind of day (July second or 3rd as I recall).

I'll doublecheck but I think the banding you're seeing is due to size reduction and jpg quality reduction in order to get a reasonable size upload (the image is pushing 700MB). I dont recall seeing it on my monitor (PA272)

I get what you're saying about ping-pong but my reaction to your re-crop is that the image somehow feels 'un-anchored' on the left and the sailboat is similarly just floating in the frame. The pier/dock adds a little of grounding (similar to how the small round island on the left does it). What I'd really like to do is squeeze some of the right/center of the frame.

Anyway, a work in progress and there is more work to be done on it.

Jul 23, 2016 at 08:49 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

Gotcha @ banding = resize / jpg ... as long as it looks good on your end.

+1 @ WIP till you get where you like it.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:17 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Boston Skyline & Harbor

+1 @ a lot of what has already been covering.

I really dig Kent's connection of escaping the rat race of city life but still remaining on the fringe.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 27, 2016 at 01:41 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.