Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

So I'm finding when I have my A7RII set to daylight WB that when I pull the resulting RAW file into ACR that there is a noticeable difference between the "as shot" image and if I use ACR's daylight WB setting. Using the as shot is slightly on the cool side while ACR produces images that are slightly on the too warm side for me.

The question is - why the difference between in-camera (or as-shot) daylight WB and ACR?

Thanks - John

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:32 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

I don't think this is unusual. The software's idea of daylight is not the same as your camera's. Pretty sure I've seen this with Nikon too.

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:47 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

jhinkey wrote:
The question is - why the difference between in-camera (or as-shot) daylight WB and ACR?

Because there's no such thing as capital-d Daylight.

Oslo has different daylight from Orlando, which has different daylight from Osaka, which has different daylight from Olympia, and even internally those cities have different daylight depending on what part of the day we're talking about. When a software or hardware vendor is picking a correlated color temperature to call "daylight," they're throwing a dart at the board and picking a temperature that—according to their criteria—best represents the temperature daylight probably is.

Sony's will therefore likely be different from Adobe's, which will likely be different from Phase One's, and you get the picture from there.

And while it may seem like a problem on the surface, it's all academic anyway: Photography's about taste. If it's too warm, cool it down. If it's too cool, warm it up. Labels on a dropdown don't dictate your output; you do. For those rare occasions you have to pretend the color balance is "accurate," that's what ColorChecker and spectrally-neutral gray cards are for. (...And then you'll probably tweak the white balance and color anyway because it still needs to look good.)

Jul 22, 2016 at 04:12 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

Thanks -
I did not have this problem to this extent with my D800 - Adobe and Nikon seemed to agree much closer on the spectral definition of Daylight, at least for the stuff I shoot.

If I want to really see a difference I put my A7RII on AutoWB and then set ACR to Auto and boy it can get fun.

Jul 22, 2016 at 05:40 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

Perhaps try using a different camera calibration in ACR.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:31 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

Drag the colour temperature in ACR to where you like it, then set that white balance in the camera directly as a Kelvin value. Then "as shot" will match that colour temperature.

Jul 24, 2016 at 06:49 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Daylight WB Not The Same In ACR as In-Camera Setting? (A7RII)

melcat wrote:
Drag the colour temperature in ACR to where you like it, then set that white balance in the camera directly as a Kelvin value. Then "as shot" will match that colour temperature.

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.