FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · L-Bracket Q&A

PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L-Bracket Q&A

Can someone school me on L brackets?

I'm tired of the tippy setup with the camera on its side, on the tripod. So, to make the change, what do I need?

Obviously, the L-bracket.

But, does it fit onto a specific plate? Do i use the removable shoe in the tripod head I have, or do I need a new tripod head to go with the plate?

And, I'd need a different plate, if I used a two-battery grip, instead of the camera as-is, right?

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:04 PM
JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L-Bracket Q&A

The L bracket fits directly into the camera tripod mount (or the mount on the grip). The bracket is different for camera alone or with grip. These are custom fitted to the specific camera body. RRS and Kirkphoto are the best choices.

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L-Bracket Q&A

Most L-brackets use the Arca-Swiss (A-S) system, including; Arca-Swiss, RRS, Kirk, Wimberley, Hejnar, and etc.. There are a few L-brackets with proprietary clamp/plate systems, like the clunky, old Manfrotto 341 Junior Elbow bracket with RC2 clamps.

I use RRS L-brackets with my 1DX, 1DIV, and 6D cameras. If you already have an A-S clamp on your tripod, you're good to go with something like that; otherwise, you have to figure out how to best get an A-S system clamp attached to the top of your tripod head. If it has a threaded platform on top, you can simply get an A-S clamp that screws on.

You're right that you'll need two different L-brackets to handle with and without a grip on the camera. I have two 6D, one RRS L-bracket (for ungripped body), and one grip. That way, there's no fighting between the cameras.

IOW, for small cameras like the 6D, I prefer using the L-bracket on an ungripped body.

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:18 PM
Filterman

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L-Bracket Q&A

What type of camera do you have? Also the L plates are different if you use a battery grip.

I have a Really Right Stuff (RRS) L plate for my Canon 6D that has no battery grip.

Kirk enterprise also makes L-brackets. The RRS L-plate is very well designed.

If you order one make sure you get the corrct one depending on if you use a battery grip or not.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates/Plates-for-Canon

Jim

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:21 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L-Bracket Q&A

You buy a plate for the camera body only, or one for camera with battery grip
You need a ball head with Arca-Swiss mount (quick release)

ball head examples with Arca-Swiss compatibility

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469925-REG/Arca_Swiss_801114_Monoball_Z1_dp_with.html

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Ballheads

L Plate review & info
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-L-Plate-Review.aspx

Two locations to get L brackets that are Arca-Swiss compatible

Really Right Stuff
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates

Kirk
https://www.kirkphoto.com/camera-mounting.html

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:24 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L-Bracket Q&A

+1 on the RRS L bracket. Whatever you buy, make sure it's Arca-Swiss compatible. If you go to RRS web site, they have an extensive listing of cameras, configurations, and the appropriate stuff. Be warned. High quality is not cheap.

Robert

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:25 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L-Bracket Q&A

OK, thanks.

So, an A-S adapter onto the threaded tripod head, and the L-bracket fits into the A-S adapter, then?

Since the tripod work is studio work, and I usually leave the battery grip off, then it's the one that fits the camera body. In my case, a 5DIII, and another for a 7DII.

Jul 22, 2016 at 02:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L-Bracket Q&A

PatrickSweeney wrote:
So, an A-S adapter onto the threaded tripod head, and the L-bracket fits into the A-S adapter, then?

Yes, something like this,

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-LR-II-Lever-release-clamp

or that,

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-Pro-60mm-Screw-knob-clamp

depending if you like the lever-release clamp or screw-release clamp. I use both types.

The two in the links above are "dual mount" bases, which means they have threaded mount holes for both 1/4" and 3/8" head-threads, or 3/8" threaded hole (with threaded stud).

Jul 22, 2016 at 02:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L-Bracket Q&A

Here's some of my support gizmos.

© jcolwell 2016

Bottom oblique view of 6D with RRS L-bracket and mini USB cable

© jcolwell 2016

1DX on RRS L-bracket

© jcolwell 2016

Monopods with lever-release clamps

© jcolwell 2016

Manfrotto 410 geared head with screw-release clamp (on Hejnar RC4 adapter)

Jul 22, 2016 at 02:46 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L-Bracket Q&A

I've had both RRS and Sunwayfoto L brackets (on 7D and 7Dii, respectively). The Sunwayfoto is 90% as good as the RRS for half the price or less IMO.

Heron

Jul 22, 2016 at 03:44 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L-Bracket Q&A

I have RRS, Kirk and Sunwayfoto L-brackets for my cameras. There is no doubt that the RRS and Kirk bracket's fit and finish is finer than the Sunwayfoto's, but for the money, you cannot beat the Sunwayfoto brackets.

Jul 22, 2016 at 03:55 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · L-Bracket Q&A

+1 for Kirk and RRS. I've got both brands. Used to use RRS on my 1D bodies, but switched to Kirk for the 5DSR because I really don't like the RRS modular brackets and didn't notice their older style 1-piece ones. Both brands are built exceptionally well. You can get Kirk parts from Kirk, B&H, Adorama and perhaps other vendors.

Jul 22, 2016 at 05:33 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · L-Bracket Q&A

For what it's worth, I've stuck with RRS for everything, very helpful, knowledgable people. To me, worth any extra price
Bob

Jul 23, 2016 at 05:26 AM
eddieb
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · L-Bracket Q&A

OregonSun wrote:
I've had both RRS and Sunwayfoto L brackets (on 7D and 7Dii, respectively). The Sunwayfoto is 90% as good as the RRS for half the price or less IMO.

Heron

---------------------------------------------

Monkey Falls wrote:
I have RRS, Kirk and Sunwayfoto L-brackets for my cameras. There is no doubt that the RRS and Kirk bracket's fit and finish is finer than the Sunwayfoto's, but for the money, you cannot beat the Sunwayfoto brackets.

Gotta agree. Sunwayfoto L brackets are very nice. Work well, look good, and leave you enough money for a week's worth of groceries.

Jul 23, 2016 at 08:11 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · L-Bracket Q&A

I've used several of the "off-brand" L brackets, mounts, ball heads, tripods etc. Yep, they mostly work and cost significantly less. What they don't do is survive. I finally laid out significant bucks for a RRS tripod. Worth it. There are few things more irritating than having to run to the truck for duck tape cause one of the d*** legs won't stay extended. Of course, as noted in the inviolate Murphy's Law, this always happens in those few minutes one has to get the shot.

Yeah get what you pay for and yes, I often can't afford the best, but it's always the goal.

Robert

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM
alberta47

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · L-Bracket Q&A

I highly recommend the Sunway L brackets. Have them on both a 7D2 and a 5D3. No issues and have both worked perfectly for over two years. Both have been through some rugged hikes in the N.W.T. and Canadian Rockies.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:11 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · L-Bracket Q&A

I have a sunwayfoto 6d L plate not as comfy as an RRS one I had for 5d2 and not quite as strong.

Jul 24, 2016 at 03:40 AM
eddieb
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · L-Bracket Q&A

RobDickinson wrote:
I have a sunwayfoto 6d L plate not as comfy as an RRS one I had for 5d2 and not quite as strong.

I haven't read anything about any failures concerning Sunwayfoto 6D, or any model, L bracket failures. Can you point to some? Mine gets a lot of heavy use and hasn't even hinted at a possible failure. And if a camera is held properly, an L bracket shouldn't be by anything but a tripod quick release bracket. So I don't understand comfy.

Jul 24, 2016 at 07:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · L-Bracket Q&A

RobDickinson wrote:

eddieb wrote:
I haven't read anything about any failures concerning Sunwayfoto 6D, or any model, L bracket failures. Can you point to some? Mine gets a lot of heavy use and hasn't even hinted at a possible failure. And if a camera is held properly, an L bracket shouldn't be by anything but a tripod quick release bracket. So I don't understand comfy.

Rob didn't mention anything about failures.

Jul 24, 2016 at 07:14 AM
eddieb
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · L-Bracket Q&A

jcolwell wrote:
Rob didn't mention anything about failures.

He did say not as strong. Not as strong would seem to suggest a failure somewhere possibly, otherwise, how would strength be determined, other then through testing. I haven't seen or heard of any.

Jul 24, 2016 at 07:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.