FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mesa Arch glowing

vieri
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mesa Arch glowing

Mesa Arch, in Canyonlands National Park (UT), glowing orange with the first sunlight.

https://vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/M240_0399_FM.jpg

With the Leica M-P (Typ 240) and the Leica Tri-Elmar WATE.

Best,

Vieri

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:58 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mesa Arch glowing

Excellent view of this scene. Nice to see another angle. Only nit is I think the upper part of the arch above the glow is too bright.

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:06 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mesa Arch glowing

Very nice Vieri. I like the use of a different angle to get away from the very common viewpoint.

Morris

Jul 22, 2016 at 03:56 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mesa Arch glowing

Superb Image!
Brian

Jul 22, 2016 at 05:06 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mesa Arch glowing

I can only echo the others: it's nice to see a commonly photographed landmark well photographed from a uniquely uncommon perspective. Nicely done.
---John

Jul 22, 2016 at 05:10 PM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mesa Arch glowing

Well done! Agree that is is a nice change from the norm. I also don't mind letting the brightest area go to a white/yellow glow. This one could also look great in B&W.

Jul 23, 2016 at 09:31 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mesa Arch glowing

I'm sure you were jockeying for position here with 20+ other photographers, however personally I've always preferred the compositions here that did *not* include a perfect little sunstar peeking through. I actually think the image is more balanced and timeless when it is just the landscape. Although, I do kinda wish the foreground rocks had been a little less prominent; if they're close enough to be out of focus slightly then they might need to be re-composed out of the scene altogether. Anyways, gorgeous light you captured!

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:36 AM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mesa Arch glowing

Jeffrey wrote:
Excellent view of this scene. Nice to see another angle. Only nit is I think the upper part of the arch above the glow is too bright.

Thank you very much Jeffrey, glad you enjoyed it About the arch, I see you point - I didn't brighten it particularly though, perhaps the snow in the BG reflected some light on it (?).

---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
Very nice Vieri. I like the use of a different angle to get away from the very common viewpoint.

Morris

Thank you very much Morris, I am glad you enjoyed it

Brian Woolf wrote:
Superb Image!
Brian

Thank you very much Brian, much appreciated!

jdc562 wrote:
I can only echo the others: it's nice to see a commonly photographed landmark well photographed from a uniquely uncommon perspective. Nicely done.
---John

Thank you John, I am glad that you enjoyed it it's always difficult to get a new perspective on such a photographed subject, and I am glad if I could make it!

Jim Dockery wrote:
Well done! Agree that is is a nice change from the norm. I also don't mind letting the brightest area go to a white/yellow glow. This one could also look great in B&W.

Thank you very much Jim, I am glad you enjoyed it - I tried it in B&W, but I felt so bad in loosing the gorgeous glowing colours...

matthewsaville wrote:
I'm sure you were jockeying for position here with 20+ other photographers, however personally I've always preferred the compositions here that did *not* include a perfect little sunstar peeking through. I actually think the image is more balanced and timeless when it is just the landscape. Although, I do kinda wish the foreground rocks had been a little less prominent; if they're close enough to be out of focus slightly then they might need to be re-composed out of the scene altogether. Anyways, gorgeous light you captured!

Matthew, thank you for your comment, I am glad you enjoyed it Yes, the place was crowded - not when I got there, there were just about 5 photographers; right before sunrise, though, a busload of tourists arrived, most of whom where very respectful; this one guy, though, started crawling sniper-like on the ground, stopping every few minutes but not taking any pictures, with his two huge cameras (one with a 24-70 the other with a 70-200), until he finally popped into my frame... since there was nowhere to crawl further, he started taking pictures, I let him take some and then politely asked him to get out of my frame, which he did Surreal, but there you go... About your composition suggestion, I see your point but I think that the darker, slightly OOF rocks help the eye to circulate in the frame: enter low right, follow the inner side of the arch and with a spiral movement end on the candlestick tower, following a sort of "golden section" spiral movement That's, at least, how I saw it, YMMV of course.

Best,

Vieri

Jul 26, 2016 at 03:39 AM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mesa Arch glowing

Not only a different take, but a gorgeous one. Beautifully done.

Jul 26, 2016 at 05:15 AM
sdison

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mesa Arch glowing

I think your handling of light here is masterful. You've controlled and processed it wonderfully. The angle you've shot and framed it at is absolutely fantastic too, along with the background light which is good enough to stand on its own! Really love this shot.

Jul 26, 2016 at 07:33 AM
vieri
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mesa Arch glowing

Bob Kane wrote:
Not only a different take, but a gorgeous one. Beautifully done.

Thank you very much Bob, I am glad you enjoyed it!

sdison wrote:
I think your handling of light here is masterful. You've controlled and processed it wonderfully. The angle you've shot and framed it at is absolutely fantastic too, along with the background light which is good enough to stand on its own! Really love this shot.

sdison, thank you very much for your very nice comment, I truly appreciated it. Glad you enjoyed my take on Mesa Arch!

Best,

Vieri

Jul 27, 2016 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.