Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

I voted yes but I will say that I do -not- like the Leica files very much, but I've only had experience with M8 files. Matching a 2nd's M8 files with my Nikon files was a pain and I felt his file quality was noticeably inferior. He's a fantastic photographer I just wish he had been shooting Nikon.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

mikethevilla wrote:
Yes, but of course, I'm probably more familiar with M9 files + weddings than most.

I was privileged enough to be able to hire this guy to shoot a wedding with me using a fuji and an M9. I was VERY happy before and after.

The bride still uses one of his shots as her profile pic on FB years later.

If I were the primary I would view the M9 is a bit rough compared to my files. Had you said M240 It would be much easier for me to be comfortable with it. That and showing some OCF/flash work would make me much more comfortable that your files will not go to hell at the reception.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

I would have no problem hiring you based upon your skills alone and even better if you were shooting Nikon. The only thing that would cause me some hesitancy is the amount of post work that it would require to make the Leica files look similar to the Nikon files. As it is now, I wont hire a Canon shooter as my 2nd if I can avoid it. It' just too much extra work. Additionally the size of the camera or lack there-of would not in any way cause me to hesitate to hire someone who shoots Leica. I would just be a little hesitant because of the post work.

Jul 22, 2016 at 01:39 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

absolutely

Jul 22, 2016 at 02:41 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

I would not as a critical number of images at every wedding, as with the ceremony shots of the couple, are taken using the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with optical stabilization.

There are also many shots that would be missed with manual focusing as the moments do not last all that long, often a second or two so no time to move into position with a prime lens. This is especially true both for the ceremony where I and my second photography try to minimize moving around and disrupting the ceremony, and also for the reception where the venue is always tightly packed with guests so we have to move slowly to get past the tables.

Photographing the dances with a manual focus camera and lens setup would also be a complete failure.

And then there is the matter of accurate fill flash exposures which is good with Canon and great with Nikon gear but doubtful with the Leica.

75% of the time I shoot with someone using Canon cameras and so will find myself blending the files from two different Canon camera models along with my two Nikon (FX & DX) cameras. It is really not a big deal anymore as WB accuracy is quite good (unlike the original Canon 5D that was all over the place shot to shot).

Jul 25, 2016 at 02:15 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback here. The conversations here and offline have given me some different perspective, but hasn't changed my mind. I can see the argument for both sides for sure.

Jul 25, 2016 at 03:09 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

canerino wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words and feedback here. The conversations here and offline have given me some different perspective, but hasn't changed my mind. I can see the argument for both sides for sure.

Would you really want to work for someone who was more concerned about your gear than your photos or interpersonal skills?

Jul 25, 2016 at 03:44 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

BSPhotog wrote:
Would you really want to work for someone who was more concerned about your gear than your photos or interpersonal skills?

With all the Pre-occupation with gear as evidenced here Daily, I think the concern may justifiably more with getting work in the first place!

I have thought about shooting for other studios a bit lately so I can just go out, shoot and get paid and leave all the rest of the hassles to someone else.
I have seen a number of ads for studios wanting people and demanding people have Multiple FF latest model high end cams, certain over the top lenses and even specific brandsof gear.

Then I look at their websites and although I don't think my work is anything but adequate, if it were as out of date, unimaginative and gave me similar facepalms, I'd be bloody worried! The fact they are virtually giving the work away is another thing that makes me shake my head.

What you shoot and what you shoot it on are 2 very different things and bear no relationship to each other.

I could be shooting MF Digital and it's not going to fix any of the unimaginative crap I have seen
and turn it into creditable work. As I have always said, Just because you grab the car that won the last race doesn't mean you are going to win the next one when you have never raced before. You are still going to have your arse handed to you on a platter because you only THINK you know how to drive it.

I have ALWAYS thought the mark of a good and true photographer was their ability to pick up whatever camera was lying around and be able to work within what ever limitations it had and make good pictures that had wow factor and showed their skills.
When I started off, that was pretty much a thing. You didn't brag about the pic you took on a new Blad, you bragged about the pic you took on your grandfathers old camera you inherited.

Now days, people think that the only cameras that are capable of taking a decent pic is the very latest model because once that comes out, all the models before suddenly loose their ability to take anything decent even though 2 years ago they were the best thing ever invented!

As far as the 2nd shooter having to do my style, that's not something that I personally would worry about at all. In fact, I'd much prefer someone with a different outlook.
My thoughts are the coverage should be complete and stand on it's own without a 2nd shooter at all. To me they are there just to add some extras to the coverage, not that the coverage should depend on it.
Just my views and I'd guarantee others are different but anyway.

If the 2nd shooter had a different style to me ( and I would guarantee most would!) I'd welcome that. And I'd market and promote the hell out of it and use the fact to get more money for my coverage's!
To me it would be why double up when you can get the best of 2 worlds?

Every client I shot always had a range of tastes. Catering for that latitude has been a big part of the trick of getting the job. If I can offer 2 different but complimentary perspectives, I am going to take that and run with it for all it's worth and use it to my advantage to bump my profits and get the edge on my competitors.

Jul 25, 2016 at 08:40 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

elkhornsun wrote:
I would not as a critical number of images at every wedding, as with the ceremony shots of the couple, are taken using the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with optical stabilization.

There are also many shots that would be missed with manual focusing as the moments do not last all that long, often a second or two so no time to move into position with a prime lens. This is especially true both for the ceremony where I and my second photography try to minimize moving around and disrupting the ceremony, and also for the reception where the venue is always
...Show more

Just because you canīt does not mean nobody else can.

heiko

Jul 26, 2016 at 08:05 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

One of my last albums sold with 39 spreads (30 is the base they bought), was captured with my wonderful Fujis and samyangs, which are manual focus, and a Fuji 35 AF.

With this sub-system with terrible features and crop sensor I was able to produce a beautiful story telling album that the couple and the rest of the family will enjoy forever.

I know I know, I wont be able to chat away with my mates how fast AF my latest and most expensive gear has !

Jul 26, 2016 at 09:50 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Would you hire me to second shoot if...

I would as long as you had a colour copy of every image.

I also happen to think your style would work very well as a second shooter.

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.