Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Retouching for weight removal.

glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Retouching for weight removal.

A bit OT but probably within the realm of wedding work........

Over the past 18 months my wife has been working hard at loosing a LOT of weight.
Every year we did a family portrait and the last one was just before she started shedding the pounds. She was looking forward to the next Christmas family portrait session but that never did and never will come now. Our son, who would have been turning 21 today, was proud of his Mum and the changes he saw in her and would have been even happier with what she has accomplished. We want to do a BIG print of our last family pic all together. Shes far more healthier, active, happier and hotter looking but most of all, she has a far better chance of growing older with far fewer complications and health problems.

We want to do a wall print of our last family Portrait which we all liked but my wife wants to look as she does now, not the Oompa loompa she looked like then. It's pretty hard to look at pics of her 18 months ago and see the same person.

I'm not much on retouching and never have been but I was wondering if she can be made to look thinner and more " Up to date" in the pic especially in the face? For upright 1/2 full length shots I have had success with just adding stretch to the image but this isn't going to work with other people being in it as well. Her body isn't so bad in the pics as we are grouped together but her face was so round and bloated then and we all want her looking like what she has worked hard for.

I know there are retouching services out there so if anyone could tell me if first, this is possible without her looking like plastic surgery gone wrong and if so, where I could sent the pic to be worked over? I can of course send a current pic for comparison so they don't make her look too young, thin or like someone else which we don't want.

Any Heads up or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 21, 2016 at 02:53 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Retouching for weight removal.

Does she have the same clothing, do you have the same room? I'd redo the shot and have her stand at the same spot, same lighting, same clothes. Since they are probably much much bigger, you could try using clothespins on the backside to pull the clothes into a new shape.

Then, align both images in photoshop, mask out everything but the new wife (or vice versa) et voila. Then it actually is her new me.

Or, if as you write, the body is okay, you might try liquify to just smooth her body a little here and there and exchange the head.

Hope this helps

Jul 21, 2016 at 05:59 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Retouching for weight removal.

I agree with Joe, it may be better to take a new photo of her in as close as the same environment/lighting and merge that with the old photo.
retouchup.com is a good service that you may want to look into.

Jul 21, 2016 at 08:09 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Retouching for weight removal.

A composite sounds like too much work and will look unnatural. This calls for a bit of PS liquify treatment.

Jul 24, 2016 at 06:24 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Retouching for weight removal.

Recreating the lighting would be near impossible. It was taken late afternoon on a beach with the light coming through the smoke from a nearby bush fire.
Not unusual here in Oz but hard to replicate on demand.

I think modifying the original image may be best. I don't think she would be worried about the body even if it was the old large size, it's her face that has changed sooo much ( for the better) shes concerned with.

Might have a play with the liquefy and see what I can come up with.

If no good I'll try some retouching places. I think this will be tricky and not something that comes up a lot.

Jul 24, 2016 at 09:30 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Retouching for weight removal.

I've done it before, but realistically the light effects as they play on parts of the face differ when the face is a different shape. IMO to get a believable result requires a good drawing artist's eye as well.

Curious if you have before + after of her face from a similar angle?

Jul 24, 2016 at 05:38 PM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Retouching for weight removal.

I'm with the others on this that the best way to do this would be a composite, it would look the most natural if done right. It won't be easy though whatever way it's done!

glort wrote:
Recreating the lighting would be near impossible. It was taken late afternoon on a beach with the light coming through the smoke from a nearby bush fire.
Not unusual here in Oz but hard to replicate on demand.

I am not familiar with what afternoon light through bush fire smoke looks like (thankfully!), but it sounds like it would be a diffused afternoon light essentially. Setting up a scrim of some sort to diffuse the light could have a similar effect, no?

If all else fails, just rent a smoke machine

Jul 26, 2016 at 09:44 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Retouching for weight removal.

Just found this...

http://www.portraitprobody.com/

Jul 30, 2016 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.