New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Very specific camera bag requirement

vkalia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Hi everyone -

As I switch more and more to the MLC side of things, I find that my closet full of bags is once again lacking that One Perfect Bag.

I am looking for a camera bag which I can use as a personal item when I fly (so should be able to fit my camera gear, iPad, Kindle, music player), and which i can also use when shooting (so needs to be lightweight and practical for shooting)

With that in mind, I wanted suggestions on bags which have the following features:

Mandatory requirements:
- Needs to fit: Fuji XT1, 35/1.4, 23/1.4, 16/1.4, 12/2.0 (not used often and can be stacked below the 35/1.4)
- Shoulder bag with a flap
- Top zipper - for access to the lenses without opening up the flap (this is a must-have - if i remove this requirement, there are plenty of bags which will work, I know)
- Outer zippered pocket on the inner side of the bag (the side that goes against the body) for keeping papers, passport, etc.
- One or two enclosed pockets on the outer side, for storing other small objects (spare battery, charger, lens caps, etc)
- Space for packing an iPad, a Kindle, a thin notebook, a small music player and in-ear headphones, as well as a sunglass case

Nice to haves:
- Moderate to light padding - this is for urban use, not for hiking the mountains, so light is better
- An external side pocket for carrying a waterbottle

Does anyone have or know of such a beast? I have plenty of other bags which come close - however, missing out of the features that I need means that each of them ends up being an irritation after prolonged use.

I can visualize what i want perfectly - it would actually be a scaled down version of the TT Urban Disguise, but with a slightly different pockets on the outer side and a top zipper for access to the lenses.

Failing that- any bag maker wanna take my design and run with it?

Jul 20, 2016 at 01:57 PM
tigha45

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Very specific camera bag requirement

I don't know of any bags that meet all of your requirements. The only manufacturer I can think of that makes custom bags is Fogg. However, their bags are incredibly expensive, and none of their current models feature a top zipper, so I'm not sure if they'd make a bag per your specs. Hopefully someone else will be able to find one for you or make a customized bag. Failing that, it may be time to start ordering some raw materials and working on your new creation.

Jul 20, 2016 at 03:10 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Very specific camera bag requirement

have you checked out arcteryx, timbuk2 or even osprey? Osprey has some bags that might work.

Jul 20, 2016 at 03:49 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Very specific camera bag requirement

So what does the TT UD not offer ?

I have the 50,40 and 35.

Jul 20, 2016 at 04:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Find a bag that is close to your needs and then have that modified. It's what I do.

EBH

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Have a thorough look through Vanguard's catalog:

http://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/products/camera-bags.html?bag_category=991

Jul 21, 2016 at 01:17 AM
vkalia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Paul, Dustin - thanks for the recommendations. I wasnt aware of Osprey, Arcteryx and Vanguard. Will also check the Timbuk2 catalog again, but i dont think their bags have the external pocket on the inner size and the top zipper.

Fotografpaul - UD lacks the top zip. The Urban Approach comes the closest, but again, no zipper.

EB1 / Tigha - yeah, customization is what i may have to do, i suppose. It's a bit of a pain, though, so i'm hoping to find the Right Bag. Else it would be time to find someone who can cut open a Domke.

As it turns out, i do have a candidate - the Tenba Messenger DNA11. I had initially ruled it out b/c it appeared FAR too big, but on checking again, it isnt as big as i thought it would be. It is, however, a pig of a bag, weighing in at 1.1kg. I need to find a dealer who carries one - which isnt so easy in Asia. Oh well.

Thanks for the help, all - and if anyone has any more ideas, please let me know.

Jul 21, 2016 at 02:08 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Very specific camera bag requirement

vkalia wrote:
Paul, Dustin - thanks for the recommendations. I wasnt aware of Osprey, Arcteryx and Vanguard. Will also check the Timbuk2 catalog again, but i dont think their bags have the external pocket on the inner size and the top zipper.

Fotografpaul - UD lacks the top zip. The Urban Approach comes the closest, but again, no zipper.

Maybe i didn't understand you requirements correctly, but the UD only access to the camera/lenses is from the top zipper.. ?

Jul 21, 2016 at 02:44 AM
vkalia
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Fotografpaul wrote:
Maybe i didn't understand you requirements correctly, but the UD only access to the camera/lenses is from the top zipper.. ?

You know, I just checked them again and you are correct - they do seem to be exactly what I am looking for.

It is very strange - I have a larger version of those for carrying my DSLR+grip and 3 zooms, and I could have sworn it has a flap over the top. Or maybe it is some other variant (mine is about 8-9 years old)?

A smaller sized UD looks like just the thing. Thanks man, you are a lifesaver!!!

Edit - Oh wait, 1.8kg. Too heavy.

Jul 22, 2016 at 03:35 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Very specific camera bag requirement

:-) 1.8kg is not much, not if you want a quality bag that offers protection as well.

Jul 22, 2016 at 04:33 AM
vkalia
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Fotografpaul wrote:
:-) 1.8kg is not much, not if you want a quality bag that offers protection as well.

In principle, i agree with you.

However, some background: I been off photography for nearly 3-4 years, and have only recently gotten my urge to take photos by trying a new-for-me genre: street/travel photography (my main thing is nature/wildlife). However, I know myself, and the moment that bag becomes too heavy, I will stop carrying it, especially for something that isnt my "main" photographic area of interest. I got back into things by ditching the Canon rig for a Fuji X100, and that has grown to a Fuji XT1, 16, 23 and 35. Recently, I added a 12mm.

So far it's been ok to carry, but now the weight is starting to get noticeable. The re-awakening of my photo mojo is still in a relatively nascent stage, so i dont want to risk it further.

Anyway, I ended up ordering an Urban Disguise 10. It's got everything except the zipper on top. That's a start as I have literally outgrown my current MLC bag and I need a bag ASAP.

I'll see if i can find a Tenba later or perhaps get someone to install a zipper on the top of this one.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Tenba Cooper 13 DSLR should meet most, if not all of your needs. Has the top zipper, is light weight. Has the pocket for a water bottle. Should fit the lenses you want. Has the pocket for documents and if you don't carry a laptop you have the rear pocket as well.

Jul 23, 2016 at 01:52 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Very specific camera bag requirement

How about the Peak Designs 'Everyday' Messenger bag; 15 or 13"

http://www.peakdesign.com/product/bags/the-everyday-messenger/

Jul 24, 2016 at 07:07 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Very specific camera bag requirement

StillFingerz wrote:
How about the Peak Designs 'Everyday' Messenger bag; 15 or 13"

http://www.peakdesign.com/product/bags/the-everyday-messenger/

This bag gets poo-poo'd a lot around here (not saying it's bad, I've never used one), but it seems to be the closest one to your requirements.

Jul 24, 2016 at 07:30 PM
vkalia
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Very specific camera bag requirement

Sorry for the slow reply guys.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tenba Cooper and the Peaks. At $200+, they are usuriously priced for basic fabric camera bags, but given that there is no cheaper option, these will work fabulously.

I am in Singapore in a couple of weeks, and am gonna see if i can find one of these there - if not, i will order online.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.