New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · D500 SD card failures

LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 SD card failures

I used my nw D500 in anger for the first time today, and it is unusable. The card freezes and most of the images are lost. The card is a Kingston 32GB 90MB/s U3 SDHC UHS-I Memory Card:

https://mobymemory.com/uk/kingston-32gb-90mb-s-u3-sdhc-uhs-i-memory-card-for-3d-2k-4k.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CP_U1ZCngs4CFYVAGwod1tQLvg

I loaded the latest firmware fix but that is for certain UHS-II SD memory cards, and not the one I have.

Anyone else found similar issues? I thought it was UHS-II cards only. My slow Sandisk cards work okay.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:04 AM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 SD card failures

Had a similar issue Leif with the D500 and Lexar UHS-II cards on a trip to Norway. The camera would give the error message that the cards were defective and should be replaced. But I did not lose any images. And the images were actually very good. But, the problem was so frequent that I returned the camera and received a full refund. I then purchased a second D500 a few weeks ago and went with Sony XQD cards and SD cards and have not had any recurrence of this problem. Can't recall the exact location on FM but do a topic search on this problem on FM in the Nikon forum. There is a very good thread that has a link to a website which discusses technical issues with the D500.

Alan

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:26 AM
danh920
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 SD card failures

I had some issues, but once I updated to the 1.02 firmware I had no issues with the uhs ii with xqd also inserted

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:40 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 SD card failures

Thanks. Nikon simply said it was not an approved card, so it's the card's fault.

Jul 20, 2016 at 01:31 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 SD card failures

Unapp;roved? Here we go yet again!!! Somebo9dy shoulod hit Nikon with a few trade violations loawsuits. Batteries won't work, memory cards won't work. What's next?

My Panasonic Lumix never complains about third party batts the way the D500 does. It never complains about the SD card either. Why do Nikons?

Jul 23, 2016 at 01:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 SD card failures

LeifG wrote:
Thanks. Nikon simply said it was not an approved card, so it's the card's fault.

did you then try an approved card? there are differences in cards. especially in secondary brands. every time I have gone a way from the particular brands I use and give another a good workout the generally fall short on adverted read/write functionality promises not delivered.

Jul 27, 2016 at 09:26 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 SD card failures

sjms wrote:
did you then try an approved card? there are differences in cards. especially in secondary brands. every time I have gone a way from the particular brands I use and give another a good workout the generally fall short on adverted read/write functionality promises not delivered.

I bought a higher speed Sandisk, as they say SanDisk SD cards are fine, and yes it was fine. I can now get ~70 NEF shots in a burst which is more than enough for me. Whether or not it hits the advertised write times, I know not, and frankly I don't care as it works well as is.

It is disappointing to find that a well known brand - Kingston - does not work with the D500, and perhaps with other cameras.

I guess it could be the card that does not fully comply with the standards, but who knows? You think a big name brand would get it right.

Jul 28, 2016 at 06:21 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 SD card failures

Unfortunate. XQD's are so freakin' amazing, I couldn't go back to SD's (even giving up a slot)
Hoping the D510 has twice XQD slots like it's big brother. 10K+ on mine, never an issue/error.

Jul 28, 2016 at 06:27 AM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 SD card failures

LeifG wrote:

Did you try the card work in other cameras to rule out a defective card?

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:06 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 SD card failures

LeifG wrote:

I've had only one crazy failure in a card - it was a Kingston. There are approved cards for a reason.

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:33 AM
JPTrunck
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 SD card failures

Users should read the User's Manual. See page 385 on Approved Memory Cards.

It is not feasible for a camera company to test every card manufacture's cards in every conceivable circumstances. The cost of the camera would become prohibitive and probably never come to market. With the D500 it appears Nikon has only chosen to list Sony and Lexar cards. I am surprised no Sandisk cards were listed.

Nikon is obviously trying to move customers to Sony and Lexar XQD cards with the advent of the D5 and D500 in a big way. It is another way of differentiating its products from Canon. Time to move on and accept progress. XQD cards are the way to go in high end Nikon DSLRs.

Heretofore, I have always used Sandisk cards and had no problems with them. I have never used second tier card manufacturers; I think Kingston fits into that category. Now I am a XQD user from Sony and Lexar.

Also, I do not think their is any basis for "trade violation lawsuits" as mentioned by another user.

Let's go with progress and enjoy the D500's.

Jim

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:55 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 SD card failures

Are Sandisk cards working fine...I have a few cf and SD for 800e and d810.

Was going to grab a couple of 256gb for an arriving d500. I've only ever used Sandisk but if lexar is the way to go then I'll grab a couple.

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:11 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500 SD card failures

Unfortunate. XQD's are so freakin' amazing, I couldn't go back to SD's (even giving up a slot)
Hoping the D510 has twice XQD slots like it's big brother. 10K+ on mine, never an issue/error.

Exactly! My only complaint with my D4s was not having 2 of the same slots. My D5 has 2 XQD's and its the only way to go, On my D500 the SD slot is just for overflow. Bite the bullet and get one XQD card/reader and you'll never go back.

Gerard

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500 SD card failures

Nikon has always had a list of approved cards for every model. If you don't follow the rules, you get penalized...

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500 SD card failures

Taoguy wrote:

Exactly! My only complaint with my D4s was not having 2 of the same slots. My D5 has 2 XQD's and its the only way to go, On my D500 the SD slot is just for overflow. Bite the bullet and get one XQD card/reader and you'll never go back.

Gerard

If I ever NEED "AMAZING" I will buy an xqd. Been shooting since the N60 and never had need for "AMAZING" yet

Jul 28, 2016 at 03:41 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D500 SD card failures

Laslo Varadi wrote:
Did you try the card work in other cameras to rule out a defective card?

Yes, it works fine in my D600. But that shoots at low FPS. So the card might be defective at high speed.

Jul 28, 2016 at 04:21 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D500 SD card failures

JPTrunck wrote:
Users should read the User's Manual. See page 385 on Approved Memory Cards.

It is not feasible for a camera company to test every card manufacture's cards in every conceivable circumstances. The cost of the camera would become prohibitive and probably never come to market. With the D500 it appears Nikon has only chosen to list Sony and Lexar cards. I am surprised no Sandisk cards were listed.

Nikon is obviously trying to move customers to Sony and Lexar XQD cards with the advent of the D5 and D500 in a big way. It is another way of differentiating its products from
...Show more

Page 385 only lists approved XQD cards. Page 386 addresses SD cards and states " Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards....including compliant with UGHS-II" Pg, 386 also recommends Class 3 or better SD cards for movie recording.

There are no recommendations for specific brands of SD cards.

Gregg

Jul 28, 2016 at 05:32 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D500 SD card failures

If I ever NEED "AMAZING" I will buy an xqd. Been shooting since the N60 and never had need for "AMAZING" yet
Been shooting since most TV's were B&W, and have made a point
of seeking out 'amazing' any chance I get. I can download a XQD
in the time it takes to pour my beer.

Jul 28, 2016 at 05:42 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D500 SD card failures

bbourizk wrote:
Are Sandisk cards working fine...I have a few cf and SD for 800e and d810.

Was going to grab a couple of 256gb for an arriving d500. I've only ever used Sandisk but if lexar is the way to go then I'll grab a couple.

Do re-read the posts. The XQD cards are the way to go! Once you shoot to and transfer from the XQD you will poo-poo the SD's. Seriously

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:47 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D500 SD card failures

Charles Loy wrote:
Do re-read the posts. The XQD cards are the way to go! Once you shoot to and transfer from the XQD you will poo-poo the SD's. Seriously

I did read it but unfortunately the camera which arrived today has two SD slots.
I will try my Sandisk Extreme pros and see how they go. If they work fine then I'll grab some 256gb ones.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.