Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Strobes for Weddings?

ANegm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobes for Weddings?

Hello everyone,

I have been debating the use of portable strobes ( monolights) for wedding portraits + formals vs just normal flashguns and i am questioning the usefulness of the strobes really.

I bought the Dynalite Baja B4 pack ( great deal, 2x400W heads with internal batteries and receivers etc ) and i used them for a couple of weddings, here is what i noticed so far as a conclusion :

- TOO much power ! and i mean that in a bad way, i have to move them back from the bride and the groom as i am never shooting anything darker than f2.8, i go for f1.8 and f2 most of the time, and setting the flashes at the MINIMUM power results in overblown highlights. i Typically use these strobes in very low light situations and i am starting to question the needs of 400W, i dont think i will ever go above the minimum power.

- Carrying the strobes and setting them up then removing the setup and heading to the reception is becoming a headache for my assistant and myself really.

I am thinking about just selling them and keep using my beloved SB910s and Godox360s for simple setups that yields almost the same results.

What does everyone use and what do you think about Strobes vs Flashguns for indoor wedding portraits?
( please bear in mind that i cannot go natural light or ambient light indoor in venues here in Egypt, i have to control the lighting, also, while shooting the reception and the party, flash mounted on camera is the best solution, cant put strobes anywhere and fire them consistently. )

Jul 19, 2016 at 07:05 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobes for Weddings?

It's simply not worth the effort/cost/bulk for me.

And if I'm being totally honest, I'm also not good enough or fast enough to be able to balance the ambient and strobe light to consistently make it look better than natural light. I'm not about to have my clients stand there for 10min while I set up a softbox, light stand, light, tiggers, and fiddle around with power settings.

Jul 19, 2016 at 07:53 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobes for Weddings?

For my wedding work, I've used everything from speed lights, to studio strobes to finally settling on Cheetah lights. For me the Cheetah lights (or Godox if you like the other branding of the same lights) combine the portability of speed lights with (almost) the power of studio lights. The Cheetah lights also give me more control by using an "open bulb" design which allows me the flexibility to use different modifiers. Finally, the triggers are simple, easy to use and reliable.

Jul 19, 2016 at 08:15 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobes for Weddings?

ZachOly wrote:
my clients stand there for 10min while I set up a softbox, light stand, light, tiggers, and fiddle around with power settings.

My ears are burning

Jul 19, 2016 at 08:44 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobes for Weddings?

Why did you buy the strobes in you are shooting lowlight at wide apertures? Strobes would be smart in outdoor situations overpowering the sun, but it sound like you want them to do what your SB910s are doing already.

Jul 19, 2016 at 09:12 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobes for Weddings?

BSPhotog wrote:
Why did you buy the strobes in you are shooting lowlight at wide apertures? Strobes would be smart in outdoor situations overpowering the sun, but it sound like you want them to do what your SB910s are doing already.

This.

Although shooting wedding party formals at f/2.8 isn't always the best idea.

Jul 19, 2016 at 09:34 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobes for Weddings?

jcolman wrote:
This.

Although shooting wedding party formals at f/2.8 isn't always the best idea.

coolman... you are no fun. It is always fun to see who is in-focus and who is not at f2.8.

-Mark
.... I go with what mrs cheetah light man said. PS... I run with the same stuff.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobes for Weddings?

Ziffl3 wrote:
coolman... you are no fun. It is always fun to see who is in-focus and who is not at f2.8.

-Mark
.... I go with what mrs cheetah light man said. PS... I run with the same stuff.

Jul 19, 2016 at 01:02 PM
ANegm

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strobes for Weddings?

BSPhotog wrote:

I had some extra money and i wanted to try them out, easy to change power level from remote and no AAA batteries hassle.. but then i figured out they are not adding anything to my setup, also i thought i could get better modifiers with the BowenS mount, i did get a 120cm Octa, but it is a pain to setup and collapse in front of the almost bored couples so..

i am trying to figure out what do other people use in other communities, because here in Egypt we almost exclusively use the speedlites Canon/Nikon/Godox/Yonguno , and basically no one in the whole country owns a Profoto or any advanced monolites, so no where to draw experience from the local market.

Jul 19, 2016 at 02:44 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strobes for Weddings?

ANegm wrote:
I had some extra money and i wanted to try them out, easy to change power level from remote and no AAA batteries hassle.. but then i figured out they are not adding anything to my setup, also i thought i could get better modifiers with the BowenS mount, i did get a 120cm Octa, but it is a pain to setup and collapse in front of the almost bored couples so..

i am trying to figure out what do other people use in other communities, because here in Egypt we almost exclusively use the speedlites Canon/Nikon/Godox/Yonguno , and basically no
...Show more

Well, if you plan to shoot outside or do any studio work they definitely still have value. The light from a bare bulb like that definitely is different and opens up different modifiers as well. If you aren't opposed to the added size and weight, you might just have to change how you shoot some to account of the difference in minimum power output. If you've been shooting speedlights and within the constraints of speedlights for a while, it certainly is a different thing.

As for softboxes, there are a few out there that collapse really quickly/easily. I have a small-ish 60cm from SMDV that I use with a speedlight all the time, though they make bigger collapsible softboxes for Bowens and other mounts as well. Not particularly more expensive than other good quality softboxes, but will bore your clients less

Jul 19, 2016 at 03:40 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strobes for Weddings?

the strobes are useful for giving you more power when you need it

Jul 19, 2016 at 06:36 PM
ANegm

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strobes for Weddings?

sherijohnson wrote:
the strobes are useful for giving you more power when you need it

When will you need more power except for overpowering the sun ?

Jul 20, 2016 at 02:59 AM
OlafSiebert
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Strobes for Weddings?

I always had an Elinchrom Quadra set with me. And an assistant.

With softbox, and not at 1.4 it really delivered great results. Still using them for portraits (don't do weddings anymore).

Jul 20, 2016 at 03:49 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Strobes for Weddings?

ANegm wrote:

there are times it is helpful. I have used strobes in some venues and the results were great, but I have started using speedlights for most of my receptions mostly for ease of set up.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Enal
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Strobes for Weddings?

The last 10 years I shot weddings was always with strobes. The big ole bulky mothers that would just make you mad to unload! Haha But the quality and look it gave sold more at higher profits than any gimmick package add on. You have to train assistants the right way and have a playbook for them.

Now days with the potable lights available it's much easier, but buying the equipment is the easiest part!

Jul 28, 2016 at 07:53 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Strobes for Weddings?

I'm an ambient light kind of girl and haaaate the hassle of bulky strobes and modifiers. Of course, my boyfriend is the complete opposite. I will admit though... I was freaking out about some family formals I had coming up in a dark Catholic Church (think, black polished concrete floors with almost amber colored down lighting and bizzar-o shady daylight from behind the altar). I had done formals in there before and it was bad without light and the times I tried to use speed lights it didn't look very good. So he sent me off with a Profoto B1, a Large Octo, and big light stand. My assistant set it up very quickly and I was able to shoot the family formals at 100-200mm from way down the aisle with the softest light covering 20-30 people. It was pretty divine. I don't need it often, but would never shoot there again without it.

Jul 28, 2016 at 08:47 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Strobes for Weddings?

ckhagen wrote:
I'm an ambient light kind of girl and haaaate the hassle of bulky strobes and modifiers. Of course, my boyfriend is the complete opposite. I will admit though... I was freaking out about some family formals I had coming up in a dark Catholic Church (think, black polished concrete floors with almost amber colored down lighting and bizzar-o shady daylight from behind the altar). I had done formals in there before and it was bad without light and the times I tried to use speed lights it didn't look very good. So he sent me off with a Profoto B1,
...Show more

Dark or even medium light churches seldom need the power of a strobe. Big modifier or the correct modifier, that is the important thing.

That said, if you've got a boyfriend hooking you up with a B1, sounds like a keeper.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM
dccb2009

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Strobes for Weddings?

I used to drag my Elinchrom Ranger with me to every wedding, but since I picked up a few Godox AD600, I will put my Elinchrom up for sale.

ANegm wrote:

I always bring out the big strobe after the church ceremony when I need to take formal group shots, and it's always helpful to have a powerful strobe when I have to take a big four-row group shot of the bride's extended family

Jul 29, 2016 at 05:50 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Strobes for Weddings?

I used strobe alot during weddings and engagement/pre-wedding/family session etc. Formal shots after the ceremony, wedding party outdoor, etc is when I need them. I usually use them in conjunction with huge modifiers. I have an assistant to setup it up for me. Usually it's about 2 mins to setup. I have light stand, sand bag, and everything setup in a corner so when it's formal time, I just need to take a couple shots to make adjustment and ready to go.

Most of my wedding I do now are 12 hours plus and by the time ceremony is over, the wedding party wants to go somewhere with mid day sun over head. That's when I bring out the bad boy. I still use speed lights for reception or creative shots. All my speed light, portable light, and strobe are HSS, TTL, and most importantly lithium so I don't have to replace the battery.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM
wtzgall

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Strobes for Weddings?

If you are doing formals in a church or dark hall, you can setup a strobe (600ws or more) and point it at the opposite end of the church, instant giant wrap around light.

Chris

Jul 29, 2016 at 04:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.