New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pricing prints....

ponz924
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pricing prints....

I've had some inquiries regarding some of my wildlife and landscape prints...

Is there a general rule of thumb regarding markup subsequent to time invested and printing costs have been determined? I'm finding that most prospective buyers are incredibly cheap.

Thanks
Ponz

Jul 18, 2016 at 08:13 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pricing prints....

depends on the print size, paper, etc. the smaller prints seem to be the most profit. for example, when i put forth effort and try to sell my stuff, i sell a matted 8 by x photo for $35. my cost for the print is like $2 and the matting and plastic and backing board i can get for less than 2.50 each. so for about $5 each my cost and time, i can make 7 times that. for larger prints, depends on the type of paper and size. I have sold 16x24 for $90, and it cost me $10 for the print. if people want a better quality, i go with a different printer and the price is a bit higher.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:30 AM
ponz924
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pricing prints....

Dustin Gent wrote:
depends on the print size, paper, etc. the smaller prints seem to be the most profit. for example, when i put forth effort and try to sell my stuff, i sell a matted 8 by x photo for $35. my cost for the print is like $2 and the matting and plastic and backing board i can get for less than 2.50 each. so for about $5 each my cost and time, i can make 7 times that. for larger prints, depends on the type of paper and size. I have sold 16x24 for $90, and it cost me
...Show more

What about when you step up to metal or canvas? I had a co-worker suggest that after I factor in the cost of the print and my post processing time that I make only 60 bucks on a large canvas (for example)

Ponz

Jul 20, 2016 at 06:16 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pricing prints....

that is way low. remember this is not like painting a room. So you can't JUST think in terms of your cost versus profit. You have to take into account of travel, time, equipment, knowledge, etc.

a lot more goes into this then just monetary costs. is your co-worker the one you are selling to? Metal prints obviously are going to be different. I have a photography buddy that sells his metal prints all day long, and he sells a 24x36 for $1000. that is just an example. for metal prints, and just starting off, i would be comfortable charging 3x what was paid for the piece.

Jul 20, 2016 at 01:25 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pricing prints....

I typically price my prints in the hundreds of dollars range. It is just not worth the time and effort to print 1 image and mount / frame it and then sell if for say $50.

I've made deals which deliver upwards of 25 prints of various sizes and in those quantities I do give a discount...but still there is no way I'd sell my prints for anything less than a few hundred dollars.

Jul 20, 2016 at 01:31 PM
ponz924
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pricing prints....

Thanks guys - that's what I thought.
Ponz

Jul 20, 2016 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.